post your grado mods....
Jul 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #736 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I actually feel like it improved the sound. All in all, it just sounds less "plastic-y" and more airy and natural. There's a strong possibility that this could be placebo, though. I got the wire mesh at Home Depot. I had to buy a pretty huge role of it, which cost around $9.

Thanx! What do they call it over there(Home Depot)?

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #737 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I may be wrong, but, that almost looks like a stucco or drywall lath.

jk

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #738 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be wrong, but, that almost looks like a stucco or drywall lath.

jk

OK, that makes sense. Thanx!

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #739 of 8,992
gd0r9.jpg

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #740 of 8,992
Quote:

I found it in the "poultry wire" aisle. The brand was Quik Mesh, or something similar. I threw away the packaging a while ago, so it's a little hard to remember haha.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #741 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found it in the "poultry wire" aisle. The brand was Quik Mesh, or something similar. I threw away the packaging a while ago, so it's a little hard to remember haha.

Chicken wire, who would have thought!

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #742 of 8,992
Quote:

Chicken wire, who would have thought!

I was just walking through that massive store, and went towards the first aisle that said wire. It ended up working out pretty well
happy_face1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #743 of 8,992
This thread has fully inspired me to mod my SR60's. Can you please recommend what kind of cables and cable jacks I should get in order to make it detachable? I'm totally new at this but do have some knowledge about soldering.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #744 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by kusoXhage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread has fully inspired me to mod my SR60's. Can you please recommend what kind of cables and cable jacks I should get in order to make it detachable? I'm totally new at this but do have some knowledge about soldering.

As in detachable from the driver cups?

For that you're going to need:
x2 3.5mm mono jacks
x2 3.5mm mono plugs (highly recommend a Neutrik Plug, as they've got a tighter connection)

For cables, a decent sounding one would be a Mogami Neglex or Canare Starquad, or if you want a step up the Cardas blue cable is highly regarded (though it adds a touch of warmth to the overall sound)

Then sleeving is up to you. eBay has a lot of great sellers (furry comes to mind) that sell in small amounts, which saves you money on both shipping and not buying in bulk

Final connector is up to you. You have a lot of good choices, check out the "Ultimate DIY" threads in the DIY forum for a list of 3.5mm and 1/4" plugs

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #745 of 8,992
Attachment 19273

I wouldn't really call this a mod but I noticed that the silver lettering of my Grado's was wearing off.. So I bought some gold paint and a Sharpie marker, and started to paint whith no direction of what I was doing. I have to say these came out so well. They started out looking like some pretty blah headphones, but some gold paint made them look like some very nice headphones. I liked how the Grados looked before, but this makes it look soo nice. I used some Gold Metallic latex modeling paint that its very shiny and works perfectly on the rough plastic surface on the outer rings. The lettering I just used a sharpie marker and just traced over the letters, which also turned out awesome.

This all turned out much better than I expected. Since I NEVER paint or modify any of my stuff, mainly because I am not good at it.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #746 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attachment 19273

I wouldn't really call this a mod but I noticed that the silver lettering of my Grado's was wearing off.. So I bought some gold paint and a Sharpie marker, and started to paint whith no direction of what I was doing. I have to say these came out so well. They started out looking like some pretty blah headphones, but some gold paint made them look like some very nice headphones. I liked how the Grados looked before, but this makes it look soo nice. I used some Gold Metallic latex modeling paint that its very shiny and works perfectly on the rough plastic surface on the outer rings. The lettering I just used a sharpie marker and just traced over the letters, which also turned out awesome.

This all tured out much better than I expected. Since I NEVER paint of modify any of my stuff, mainly because I am not good at it.

Nice job!

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #747 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attachment 19273

This all turned out much better than I expected. Since I NEVER paint or modify any of my stuff, mainly because I am not good at it.

Was it really that easy?

Maybe I should sand the letters down, and paint them silver =0

Maybe the hinges too! What color though?

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #748 of 8,992
A Cocobolo woody I built for a buddy in the german forum.

_P1010139.jpg

That was the 2nd attempt - 1st attempt failure, as the Cocobolo has enzymes that totally block [resin] lacquering drying, I gave up after 8 gluey weeks and built that 2nd one, which has only wax finishing.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #749 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Cocobolo woody I built for a buddy in the german forum.

_P1010139.jpg

That was the 2nd attempt - 1st attempt failure, as the Cocobolo has enzymes that totally block [resin] lacquering drying, I gave up after 8 gluey weeks and built that 2nd one, which has only wax finishing.

Sweet! I understand the cocobolo shavings are somewhat poisonous also?

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #750 of 8,992
Possible. I wear a respirator when working on wood anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back