post your grado mods....
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #8,926 of 8,992
Looks interesting. I am no headphone manufacturer. I like music, DIY and i only put parts together, solder and tweak minor things here and there.

My biggest project was the Alpha Dog and i got headache to tune it over weeks.

Don't get me wrong, your build looks great. But i imagine they actually sound the same as if the driver is lying flat on the table without any housing.
I would try to use the filter material i mentioned above. As for the pads. Cause of the distance i'd try (p)leather.
Yeah, that was kind of my thought as well. Thanks for the feedback. I have another pair that I built that is more of a Grado style that currently have some Symphones V9s in them. Maybe I'll swap them out and see if that changes the sound much. Thanks again.

Jul 24, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #8,927 of 8,992
Yeah, that was kind of my thought as well. Thanks for the feedback. I have another pair that I built that is more of a Grado style that currently have some Symphones V9s in them. Maybe I'll swap them out and see if that changes the sound much. Thanks again.
This is all just conjecture on my part, based on experiences, trial and error during my projects, reading here and there or even other influences.

You'll maybe get better results overall with the V9, maybe not.
But i still think a semi open back design is the way to go here.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #8,928 of 8,992
This is all just conjecture on my part, based on experiences, trial and error during my projects, reading here and there or even other influences.

You'll maybe get better results overall with the V9, but i still think a semi open back design is the way to go here.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Cheers
You know, now that I think about it, I helped my dad build a pair that is basically the same design, but with the Symphones drivers. The cups on his are 100% wood though. The symphones produced plenty of bass.

It's almost like I have the phase wrong on the connections and the bass is off because of it, but I've quadruple checked the connections.

Attachments

• IMG_20210424_122656.jpg
    IMG_20210424_122656.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 24, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #8,929 of 8,992
You know, now that I think about it, I helped my dad build a pair that is basically the same design, but with the Symphones drivers. The cups on his are 100% wood though. The symphones produced plenty of bass.

It's almost like I have the phase wrong on the connections and the bass is off because of it, but I've quadruple checked the connections.
That would be the fastest and easiest fix to use a multimeter and maybe resolder. The last shown build has also more pressure to the head i guess.

Plenty of bass? Hm, i found them lifeless, flat, bit harsh, basslight and the cover was absolutely uncomfy.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #8,930 of 8,992
Hey - anyone out there have an extra steel headband I could purchase? Should be getting my new Wabi Sabi cups soon and want to be ready to go - thanks a lot

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #8,931 of 8,992
Hi All,

I'm new here. I have gone down the rabbit hole of grado modding/building new headphones. I wanted to ask a question about the Nhoord Audio Red V2 drivers. I have read people discuss their strong bass output, however, I'm experiencing the opposite. Almost a complete lack of bass. I don't have them in a grado style cup though, I designed and 3d printed/machined out of wood more of a sennheiser HD-600 style cup to put them in, I'm wondering if that really could have killed all of the bass. What are your experiences with the Nhoord Red v2 driver? Thanks.

The cups look great. The lack of bass is could be because you don't have a chamber directly behind the driver (notice how normal Grado cups are essentially a driver stuck in the end of a tube), it could also be because of the drivers' distance from your ear. The further away, the thinner the response. The closer the more pronounced it gets. Adding damping materials behind the driver as @JaquesGelee advises might help somewhat.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #8,932 of 8,992
Shout out to @fleasbaby for the gorgeous cups seen here - the man does nice work

Attachments

• IMG_2175.jpeg
    IMG_2175.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2125.jpeg
    IMG_2125.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 30, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #8,933 of 8,992
The cups look great. The lack of bass is could be because you don't have a chamber directly behind the driver (notice how normal Grado cups are essentially a driver stuck in the end of a tube), it could also be because of the drivers' distance from your ear. The further away, the thinner the response. The closer the more pronounced it gets. Adding damping materials behind the driver as @JaquesGelee advises might help somewhat.

Another reason for lower bass is that the vast majority of Grado cushions are open cell foam. Whereas, the vast majority of cushions for other headphones are memory foam. Open cell foam separates the ear from the headphone, but memory foam couples the ear to the headphone - creating a seal. The seal increases the bass - but the memory foam also changes the midrange and treble.

It is a difficult balance. I have not found a memory foam cushion that I like for Grados - the midrange/treble change is too much.

Sep 5, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #8,934 of 8,992
Hi, I d like to mod my hemp for use a detachable cable, I see that there aren't any trace of glue on the driver, it has been used before to put the driver in the wood cup? So is on the bottom?
IMG20230905161256.jpg

I ll use 2.5mm jack connection so non need to drill the wood I guess

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #8,935 of 8,992
Hi, I d like to mod my hemp for use a detachable cable, I see that there aren't any trace of glue on the driver, it has been used before to put the driver in the wood cup? So is on the bottom?
IMG20230905161256.jpg
I ll use 2.5mm jack connection so non need to drill the wood I guess
This guy gives a pretty good step-by-step tutorial - good luck

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #8,938 of 8,992
Hello Grado fans ! I am a proud owner of a Grado ps2000e with a 1/4 TRS unbalanced plug. As I recently purchased a bryson headphone amp HBA 1 with balanced capabilities (2x Xlr3 or 1x Xlr4) I was wondering if it is possible to replace the 1/4 TRS with an XLR4 plug that would make my Grado balanced. But for that I have to be sure that there are 4 wires getting out of the extremity of the cable (2 for each driver) sonI can really connectbit in balanced mode and make a balanced connexion through the XLR4 balanced output of the amp. Do you know if it is possible and if it will be worth the beheading for better sound experience ? Will my Grado loose value for that mod ?

Thank you so much if you can give me some insight ? :wink:

Oct 3, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #8,939 of 8,992
Hello Grado fans ! I am a proud owner of a Grado ps2000e with a 1/4 TRS unbalanced plug. As I recently purchased a bryson headphone amp HBA 1 with balanced capabilities (2x Xlr3 or 1x Xlr4) I was wondering if it is possible to replace the 1/4 TRS with an XLR4 plug that would make my Grado balanced. But for that I have to be sure that there are 4 wires getting out of the extremity of the cable (2 for each driver) sonI can really connectbit in balanced mode and make a balanced connexion through the XLR4 balanced output of the amp. Do you know if it is possible and if it will be worth the beheading for better sound experience ? Will my Grado loose value for that mod ?

Thank you so much if you can give me some insight ? :wink:

Short answer, yes...there will be enough wires in there to go balanced :). Check out Grado's product page for the PS2000e:

https://gradolabs.com/headphones/professional-series/item/69-ps2000e

The cable has 12 conductors. For some reason they are pretty sure that the more cables they stuff into the cable, the better the headphone will sound...not sure I agree, but it does make going balanced an option. Just make sure you know which wires go to which drivers...

Oct 3, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #8,940 of 8,992
What mesh could I use with the hemp? I cut the original to access the inner and install the jack

16944552388776842882880151993827.jpgIMG20230911204352.jpg

You can make a decent grill from a mesh pencil holder if you use some tin-snips to cut it up. You're going to need to get the drivers out though, and push the grill in from the driver side...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back