post your grado mods....
Nov 1, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #8,896 of 8,987
I've read about these cans being resurrected, so I thought that there had to be some issue with them and you were able to handle it :)

If that's not the case, all good. I'm always interested in seeing how folks repair/mod products on their own, that's all :)

My reply may have seemed a tad combative, which it wasn't.
Sometimes look to improve the things I have, instead of replacing them.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #8,898 of 8,987
Does anyone have a solution for lengthening the gimbal rods? The earcups sit a little bit too high on my ears so I would like a little bit more range of height adjustment on the earcups so they are more comfortable.

Grado was awesome and sent me a new set of gimbals for my SR80x's (for free!), but there may have been a miscommunication because I had asked for a set of gimbals without the rods attached, but ended up with gimbals with the rods attached. No complaints, though, because now I have a pair of gimbals to experiment with. :)

That being said, has anyone else had a similar issue? I may eventually end up getting the Shipibo/Nyczaj aluminum gimbals and rodblocks, but I'd love to do something DIY if possible because those cost more than my Grados themselves.

It also may be worth noting that I also have the Beautiful Audio Cable Adapter installed as well.
Thank you!

Nov 28, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #8,899 of 8,987
Finally got round to making a cable out of some OCC copper cable I've had in my spares drawer for ages

PXL_20221127_162811565.jpgPXL_20221127_162836086.jpg

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #8,900 of 8,987
Hi guys ! I am totally inexperienced in soldering and moding. I am a recent proud owner of a Grado ps2000e and I very much enjoy the sound it is asolutely breathtaking.

As I also (first) have a Sony MDR z1r and Susvara and as I have bought some detachable balanced cables for them with 3.5mmm connectors to the headphones I was thinking of moding the Grado to accept 3.5mm connectors so I can use my existing cables with the Grado and also test the Grado in balanced mode.

I contacted customcans (uk) who make Grado mods and can make those 3.5mm adapters. The only thing is they have to drill the original holes a little ...

My question to you is:
Will the mod in anyway affect the existing sound of the headphones if I use the original cable adapted with 2x3.5mm plugs so it can fit the moded Grado.

In particular do you think the little drillin to accept the 3.5mm jack on both earcups will affect the sound ? The magnificent tonal balance.

I am a bit afraid of affecting the sound with drilling the ups and adapters not originally provided by Grado.

Thank you so much if you could anwer my question. :)

Merry Christmas to everyone !

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #8,901 of 8,987
I wouldn’t think it would affect the sound.
The opening of the holes will have less of an effect than the female part of the connector in the cup.
Both of which I should think you won’t notice.
If you’re worried about it don’t do it.
You could buy a set of PS cups and drivers from earphonesdiy and make them have detachable cables.

Merry Christmas.

Dec 21, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #8,902 of 8,987
I wouldn’t think it would affect the sound.
The opening of the holes will have less of an effect than the female part of the connector in the cup.
Both of which I should think you won’t notice.
If you’re worried about it don’t do it.
You could buy a set of PS cups and drivers from earphonesdiy and make them have detachable cables.

Merry Christmas.
Thank you :wink: I will take your wise advice "If you’re worried about it don’t do it." remembering the sayings:
- If it aint broken dont fix it
- Curiosity killed the cat

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #8,903 of 8,987
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thank you :wink: I will take your wise advice "If you’re worried about it don’t do it." remembering the sayings:
- If it aint broken dont fix it
- Curiosity killed the cat

Hi there I have a few other suggestions.
There are several options if you want to run your PS2000e balanced.
The first is like you say open them up and do the detachable cable mod.
There is a video of Custom Cans UK doing this on YouTube.
He had a tough time opening the cups and said he didn’t want to do it again.

So you could cut the cables just below the cups and solder on female connections.

You could cut the cables just above the Y split and have a 4 pin mini as a Y split and a new cable with 4.4mm at the amp end.
Both of these I’m sure Custom Cans UK could do if you didn’t want too yourself.

You could buy aftermarket cups from several companies and a cheap pair of Grados from eBay and make you own.
Beware this will become an affliction and you will grow to love mucking around making you own Grado type headphones.
You can buy different drivers , cups, rod blocks and headbands.
Cable wise there is a company on eBay called Skyaudio cable that make fantastic quality flexible cables at a very good price.

These are just some of the Grado type I made in the summer.
Both are super light weight and I can run them balanced or single ended.

The Rose wood cups use Alessandro drivers and the GS3000e cups use SR125 drivers from a broken pair from eBay at a cost of £14.50.

All the best and Merry Christmas.

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #8,904 of 8,987
Had a PS500e in storage for the past 6 years after the left driver blew from feedback from my tube amp. Got around to replacing the drivers with a set of Turbulent X. First time handling a soldering iron and removing the old drivers from the wood housing was a pain. Asides from that, they sound fantastic with the new drivers. Also switched out the headband on my RS2.

13D62C9D-50DD-4A3D-968A-1C1CA99B2B4D.jpeg
C6531AB9-CE6A-4DD5-9AA5-81DE7E830035.jpeg

39906551-FEB8-44D7-9DA6-892C03DC397D.jpeg
D96711A0-E509-44B5-A9B0-9610449660DF.jpeg

Attachments

• DECD66AF-D934-42C2-B05D-BF29EF6AA9F7.jpeg
    DECD66AF-D934-42C2-B05D-BF29EF6AA9F7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #8,905 of 8,987
Had a PS500e in storage for the past 6 years after the left driver blew from feedback from my tube amp. Got around to replacing the drivers with a set of Turbulent X. First time handling a soldering iron and removing the old drivers from the wood housing was a pain. Asides from that, they sound fantastic with the new drivers. Also switched out the headband on my RS2.

So how do they sound???

I have a PS500e and the Turbulent X drivers in a mod I built, and they both sound fantastic individually. I would imagine that they would sound amazing as a combo...

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #8,906 of 8,987
So how do they sound???

I have a PS500e and the Turbulent X drivers in a mod I built, and they both sound fantastic individually. I would imagine that they would sound amazing as a combo...h
Unfortunately It’s been too long since I heard the PS500e before they got damaged so I can’t compare to the originals but with the Turbulent drivers they sound extremely good. I don’t recall being as highly enamoured with the them before but I get a better sense of air and detail and a more textured timbre. This is paired with the G cushions. Not quite as spacious as the GS1000i I have but more than my RS2i.

I was a bit anxious the pairing wouldn’t by synergistic with the PS500e housing but I’m floored with how well the combo works. I’m reaching for these far more than anything else in my collection.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #8,907 of 8,987
Greetings from Spain to all.

Agree with @wormsdriver (Where is the cable? :ok_hand:)
Very carefull, some times the screw is very hard, some pictures:
gimbals.jpg

gimblas-1.jpg

gimblas-2.jpg

Good luck!!! @przem
Tkank you so much for the procedure !
When removing the gimbal from the cups I should unscrew directly the screw out of the cups while they are still attached or can the gimbal be extracted without unscrewing like in lower grade Grado''s ?

Also i would like to know if the little black plastic bits at the end of the metal sticks holding the gimbal must be unscewed or just removed from the sticks by moving them up ?

Hope my questions are clear enough ?

Thank you so muchbif you can help me ! :wink:
Yann

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #8,908 of 8,987
@hammondfan
Thanks for your questions Yann. (Sorry for delay).

1. You have to unscrew with the gimbals placed in the cups in the models with original metal gimbal (closed), the plastic models can be opened a little (open gimbal).
2. The plastic plugs can be removed by pulling carefully as they are sometimes stuck on with some glue; if we use a lot of force we can detach the metal rod from the gimbal.

I hope I have answered clearly. The photos that I put were as an example.

Enjoy Music!!
C.K.

Feb 27, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #8,910 of 8,987
Unfortunately the SR60s I had from ebay had a faulty driver, but I managed to find a pair of SR80 locally so I grabbed them for cheap.

Grill changed to metal, and the cable I made for the SR60 is now on the SR80.

PXL_20230223_181331799.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back