post your grado mods....
Oct 30, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #8,959 of 8,987
I love the look of the Turbulent Labs leather headband pads, especially the XL ones. But I'd rather not do leather. Does anyone know of similar stuff made of alcantara or microsuede and any other such things?

Oct 30, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #8,960 of 8,987
I love the look of the Turbulent Labs leather headband pads, especially the XL ones. But I'd rather not do leather. Does anyone know of similar stuff made of alcantara or microsuede and any other such things?
Send me a PM, I'll check what colors of Alcantara I can get where I live and I'll happily make you one :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #8,961 of 8,987
Just throwing this general discussion out there.

Post your grado mods. Pads, cables, headband, earcups, woodwork... ANYTHING Goes!! Pics would be nice, but certainly not needed. Text will do just fine
icon10.gif

Garrett
My first Type Grado RS1 have slightly sparkling highs and little, little bass...What pads are suitable to improve the situation? What Headphones amp? Tube or not? Thanks

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #8,962 of 8,987
My first Type Grado RS1 have slightly sparkling highs and little, little bass...What pads are suitable to improve the situation? What Headphones amp? Tube or not? Thanks
You can try one of the fabric pads options, like Nyczaj. Foam covered in fabric adds a nice bass kick and milds out the highs a bit. They're very comfy on top of that.

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #8,963 of 8,987
Different pads in the first place is fine, but have a look at my post, nr. 8947. and what I wrote about those pads.
How many hours have your Grados had of signal processing?
I would try and solve the problem behind the drivers (had a similar problem with an SR80x). If you don't feel comfortable about this, dsp might be a good option. Perhaps your smartphone can be helpful in the expected result.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #8,965 of 8,987
This thread is costing me money. I have an old SR225 that sounds great to me. In fact, it sounds good enough to justify spending a little to make it more comfortable. All I've done is replace stock pads with Geekria pads as the originals are sort of disintegrating. I've ordered a softer headband and then got struck with how nice an aftermarket gimble from Nyczaj looks. Maybe I will aslo try the ZMF pads. If I do not log off soon, I will end up putting wood cups on too.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #8,966 of 8,987
My son and I made some changes. Mango cups and wide camel headband from Turbulent Labs and gimbals from NYCZAJ. This started out as an OG SR225.

Then we each listened to Deftones Around the Fur! These things are so good!

Turbulent Labs and NYCZAJ are top shelf! I am over the moon with their stuff.
SR225 Mango 2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #8,967 of 8,987
So after a long time in the audio world I have just discovered Grado.

Got the 80x , 225x and 325x.

Can someone recommend other ear pads, can't bare the feeling of the cup touching the ear in the inner part.

Also would like to mod them to a removable cable, I mostly have cables for Hifiman which are dual 3.5mm, what parts do I need to do a removable cable mod?

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #8,968 of 8,987

Can someone recommend other ear pads, can't bare the feeling of the cup touching the ear in the inner part.

Also would like to mod them to a removable cable, I mostly have cables for Hifiman which are dual 3.5mm, what parts do I need to do a removable cable mod?
Can someone help with necessary parts ?

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #8,969 of 8,987

You can try Nyczaj earpads: https://www.nyczaj.audio/product-page/nyczaj-earpads-for-Grado-headphones
They're extremely soft, comfortable and don't change the sound that much.

For 3.5mm removable cable, I recommend these sockets: https://www.ebay.com/itm/361451741810
You'll need to expand the cable hole in the cups to 8mm to make these fit. Don't use the hex nut (it won't fit), just press them in and secure with a bit of glue on the inside.
Once you cut the cable, make sure to put a 8mm heatshrink on it before soldering it to the socket, so you can slide it onto the socket, pins and the naked cable to secure it from oxidation.
Order of business: open the cups to extract the drivers and remove the cable from the cable hole, put them together for a moment and drill the 8mm hole, do a test fit of the socket and measure the needed length of the cable before cutting, cut, put the heatshrink on, solder the cable (while it goes through the hole of course), fit the socket and secure it with glue, fit the heatshrink on the pins, insert the drivers back into the cups and secure with glue.
Hope this makes sense and good luck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back