post your grado mods....
May 30, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #8,866 of 8,992
Gonna go ahead and ask here, since I've been looking around at a lot of places but really torn for choice.

Can anyone give me a list of reliable places for finding Grado cups, in stock, that won't massively break the bank? Willing to spend around $100 for them of course!

I really like the look of earphonediylabs mahogany cups, but I'm not sure if I should get those, as the headphones will be a pair of sr80e's that I got cheap off eBay, so maybe the "Alessandro Music Series" text is cheating? :p

My problem comes that everywhere I've looked has them be either a little over my budget (nothing against that, people can charge what they want of course), or not in stock! My other problem is that I live in the UK, but at this point I've accepted having to buy them from the US and deal with VAT and shipping costs.
Rholupat is in Indonesia, https://www.rholupat.com/grado-parts?page=1

A few cups available sub $100. Wouldn't hurt to reach out via Instagram to see if they can have any others outside of online. Very nice and easy to deal with.

May 31, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #8,867 of 8,992
What?

Rholupat is in Indonesia, https://www.rholupat.com/grado-parts?page=1

A few cups available sub $100. Wouldn't hurt to reach out via Instagram to see if they can have any others outside of online. Very nice and easy to deal with.
Rholupat had some nice ones too but the ones that were in stock didn't fit with the cable I wanted (I was looking to make something that looked like a self contained unit with a theme, if that makes sense), but it's great to know they have an Instagram. Do they typically have stock that they don't list on the website? If so I'll definitely make sure to contact them first, since they had some great products in general.

May 31, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #8,869 of 8,992
😅 http://www.earphonediylabs.com/shop/grado-headphone-modifications/grado-ms-pro-mahogany-wood-cup/
But i´m not sure if this shop still fullfil their duty. That´s why i deleted my post ...
Ah okay, sorry, was wondering what was with that "..." lol

That's the one I went with, yeah, I quite like how it looks and they agreed to drill it for me for the cable mod. Though I'm kinda wishing I went with Rholupat now that I know they may have parts offline, but hey I know for next time I guess.

This is the wire I'm going with:
Big long openheart AliExpress link

May 31, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #8,870 of 8,992
May 31, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #8,873 of 8,992
I'm honestly not sure! It's my first time buying one haha. They have quite a few positive reviews around however, including here (I think, terrible memory), so maybe they are nice. The brand is Openheart, I'd just look around for reviews of them and take a look. They are promising though.

I can report back with my findings once I get it, whether that's alongside the finished mod or just as a single comment is up to the discretion of you guys since I don't want to interrupt the Grado mod discussion too much.

May 31, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #8,874 of 8,992
I'm honestly not sure! It's my first time buying one haha. They have quite a few positive reviews around however, including here (I think, terrible memory), so maybe they are nice. The brand is Openheart, I'd just look around for reviews of them and take a look. They are promising though.

I can report back with my findings once I get it, whether that's alongside the finished mod or just as a single comment is up to the discretion of you guys since I don't want to interrupt the Grado mod discussion too much.
These really look very nice (and cheap) - I would get a couple to try, but I hesitate because they're a little short (for my use case) at 1.4m...

May 31, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #8,875 of 8,992
These really look very nice (and cheap) - I would get a couple to try, but I hesitate because they're a little short (for my use case) at 1.4m...
Ah that's fair yeah, I have my Topping L30 right next to my desk, so it's pretty good for me. I guess they're more intended for pairs where you're either close to the source, or those that you carry around with you? I feel like they'd be perfect for these mods though since they look really nice with the various wood types, and especially for me who really isn't into buying high end cables but wants something better than the garden hose lol

May I ask, does anyone have a diagram of wiring for the SR80 (e if that helps)? Earphonediylabs sent me a pic of the 3.5mm jack drilled into the wood, which was super nice of them, but I'm unsure how it'd wire up to the drivers. Maybe I should ask them directly? It just seems like a generic port.

May 31, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #8,876 of 8,992
Ah that's fair yeah, I have my Topping L30 right next to my desk, so it's pretty good for me. I guess they're more intended for pairs where you're either close to the source, or those that you carry around with you?
Right. The amps in my desktop rack setup would be out of reach, but for my "portable inside the house" use case - 1.4m is plenty long. hmmm..... :thinking:

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #8,878 of 8,992
What?

Rholupat had some nice ones too but the ones that were in stock didn't fit with the cable I wanted (I was looking to make something that looked like a self contained unit with a theme, if that makes sense), but it's great to know they have an Instagram. Do they typically have stock that they don't list on the website? If so I'll definitely make sure to contact them first, since they had some great products in general.
I personally would stay away from Rhoulupat. I bought from them years ago when they first started to get a headband and gimbals. It took months for the stuff to arrive and when it did they just shoved the assembly in a paper envelope with no protection. The paper envelop was torn and half the assembly was sticking out of the bag. The gimbals were scratched but the quality was ok but the headband was unbalanced and cannot be used. It ended up buying a metal headband from a dollar store and replaced their headband. Money totally wasted. I’m always surprised they have good reviews but my experience was one of the worst I’ve had in the headphone hobby.

I contacted them with a photo and received no response. Since it wasn’t that expensive I just let it go and swore never to buy from them again.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #8,879 of 8,992
I received all of the parts for my build. I will write a full review of the final Turbulent Labs X-based product, but also a review of the Earphone DIY Labs parts from a builder's perspective.

In the meantime, TL;DR: the Turbulent X driver sounds fantastic. The Earphone parts work, but only after a LOT of fiddling. A crazy good bargain, but with a lot of work required.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #8,880 of 8,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back