post your grado mods....
Nov 15, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #8,476 of 8,987
In my opinion the magnet does two things.
1. The additional mass dampens just like dynamt, but better as it has more mass.
2. The additional magnetic field that the stacked magnet adds seems to enhance all of the positive elements of the driver.

A "backing" additional magnet will NOT increase the Magnetic strength in the voice coil gap, if anything, it will decrease it as the Magnetic Flux will "bleed" around it.
It needs to be in the Closed Circuit Field to increase the strength, ie, between the pole piece and the backing plate.

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #8,477 of 8,987
A "backing" additional magnet will NOT increase the Magnetic strength in the voice coil gap, if anything, it will decrease it as the Magnetic Flux will "bleed" around it.
It needs to be in the Closed Circuit Field to increase the strength, ie, between the pole piece and the backing plate.

Thanks for explanation. I know that you know what you are talking about. I own a pair of your R1 and G1 drivers and they are excellent.

When I stacked both of them, my perception was that they sounded better. Snake Oil? Placebo? The Geezer ears liked it.

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #8,478 of 8,987
Thanks for explanation. I know that you know what you are talking about. I own a pair of your R1 and G1 drivers and they are excellent.

When I stacked both of them, my perception was that they sounded better. Snake Oil? Placebo? The Geezer ears liked it.

Sorry but I have no affiliation with Eleven Acoustica other than a customer.
If you like any effect a backing magnet may have it's fine by me, but surely it has nothing to do with added magnetic strength, it's quite the opposite. :relaxed:

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #8,479 of 8,987
Need advice on these, the guy says they had cracked and been repaired would they still be ok sound wise? I dont mind the cracks its just if it would affect sound quality thats all. thanks! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grado-Wooden-headphone-cups-mahogany/173672142778
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #8,480 of 8,987
Need advice on these, the guy says they had cracked and been repaired would they still be ok sound wise? I dont mind the cracks its just if it would affect sound quality thats all. thanks! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grado-Wooden-headphone-cups-mahogany/173672142778

As long as the cracks have been repaired properly you should be fine. If possible, wood glue is ideal. If the crack is too tight to get any in there, a decent CA glue should do just as well. The problems come when the crack isn't sealed up, and movement happens.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #8,482 of 8,987
@cHLORINEdREAM, agree with @fleasbaby about repair. FWIW I have a cup that cracked and have glued it up and it work fine. Those are a steal at the price and a bit unusual since they are two part cups where most wood cups are one piece so I'd be interested in how they sound if you do get them.

I've made a few two-piece builds like these, except I always mix woods, looking for complimentary types. On these it also looks like the sleeves are a little shorter thank the length of the cup. When I do this I make the sleeves run the length of the inner chamber. I'm in the middle of one set for a gentleman in Belgium right now: Walnut outer cups, Maple inner sleeves. From memory the best combo was Black Limba inner sleeves and Burmese Blackwood outer cups.

The result has basically been a nice marriage of tone and resonance damping. They're a pain in the arse to make though. LOL.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #8,484 of 8,987
Need advice on these, the guy says they had cracked and been repaired would they still be ok sound wise? I dont mind the cracks its just if it would affect sound quality thats all. thanks!

I cracked a pair I purchased from someone here that were a little snug. Elmer’s Wood Glue and a furniture vise and two days later they were good as new and after a light sanding around the inner ring with a Dremel, Press fit, they haven’t shook loose yet and it’s two years later. Still sound great.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #8,485 of 8,987
well, this is for those people who are putting foam and dynamat over the wood. You are killing the wood properties. Its better to go plastic or metal. Wood needs to be free. That is why i hate wood in headphones. Hard to work upon.(My onpinion and did not wanted to hurt anybody)

Second, Wood on open backs dont effect the sound. Grado gets the sound effect due to tunnel resonance, which mostly happens when you play flute. Wood interact with the sound and then send it into back port of driver and add vibration to body. Heavy wood like walnut is least coloured and muddy due to its weight.

I like the isobaric system of Spirit torino and metal enclosure.

But i think 6061-T6 aluminum honeycomb(We have it here and is cheap to mill, in INDIA) with LineX(Have to go to US for this) coating should be used for zero resonance and ultimate vibration damping instead of wood.

Nhoord Red V2 in push pull as i was seeing some measurements and they are amazing

ummm have to work on this project...hmmmm...ok

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #8,486 of 8,987
well, this is for those people who are putting foam and dynamat over the wood. You are killing the wood properties. Its better to go plastic or metal. Wood needs to be free. That is why i hate wood in headphones. Hard to work upon.(My onpinion and did not wanted to hurt anybody)

Second, Wood on open backs dont effect the sound. Grado gets the sound effect due to tunnel resonance, which mostly happens when you play flute. Wood interact with the sound and then send it into back port of driver and add vibration to body. Heavy wood like walnut is least coloured and muddy due to its weight.

But i think 6061-T6 aluminum honeycomb(We have it here and is cheap to mill, in INDIA) with LineX(Have to go to US for this) coating should be used for zero resonance and ultimate vibration damping instead of wood.

Nhoord Red V2 in push pull as i was seeing some measurements and they are amazing

facts

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #8,488 of 8,987

What are you trying to accomplish with an Isobaric design?
An Isobaric design will only degrade the sound for several reasons.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #8,489 of 8,987

While my experience is not as detailed as @7keys I've built 3 headphones using the Nhoord Red V2 with three different woods and compared them, to me and all who heard them there is a difference that all who heard them noticed (no detailed measurements since I don't have the tools), so I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion that the type of wood has no effect. Do you have measurements or is this just your impressions based on your hearing?

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #8,490 of 8,987
While my experience is not as detailed as @7keys I've built 3 headphones using the Nhoord Red V2 with three different woods and compared them, to me and all who heard them there is a difference that all who heard them noticed (no detailed measurements since I don't have the tools), so I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion that the type of wood has no effect. Do you have measurements or is this just your impressions based on your hearing?
Lol

Read second pars

I wrote the structure of grado makes the wood effect the sound. The tube resonance in wood and colouring which gets its resonance in tube and leak to front waves through driver back port...

I mentioned it earlier

Commonly wood doesn't effect pure open backs. Grado is tunnelled open back..

That's all...

"Grado gets the sound effect due to tunnel resonance, which mostly happens when you play flute. Wood interact with the sound and then send it into back port of driver and add vibration to body. Heavy wood like walnut is least coloured and muddy due to its weight."

I wrote this on previous post..... If you guys read it properly...

I mentioned walnut.

But if you gonna make Sennheiser HD600 grill and body from wood....I am sorry you won't get any effect.

What I mean to say is to master the length of headphone and dia etc first to tune fundamental tone first. Then use wood to get the overtones or secondary tone according to taste

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back