post your grado mods....
Jul 22, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #8,341 of 8,992
How would one go about removing the stock headband without breaking the mountings that hold the cups to the band? Would love to change the stock one out for something a bit more cushy.
Turbulent Labs used to have a video on how to remove the headband but I don't see it anymore.
Basically wiggling the steel headband back and forth with an upward force should break the glue and free it from the block. Then you simply slide off the headband and slide in the new one.
When reassembling it, put a dab of super glue on the sides of the steel rod and insert it back in the block.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #8,342 of 8,992
Hey guys just want to share some mod i made with my grado using some aftermarket pleather pads (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rep...000&pvid=878cd387-a27f-49bb-85ba-dd4a1e5175d8), grado usually doesn't go well with this kind of pads and is true, however i find this specific pads to add a lot of bass, better imaging, more pronounced microdetails when corrected, never expected for grados to be this good in terms of bass extension until Ive done this.

Ive manage to install the pads by doing a plastic cutoff that will fit the oval opening into a circle like this.
1532303240622615.jpg
then i added extra foam to close up the sound and acts as a friction base to prevent the pads to rotate1532303238043376.jpg
after that time to install the pads and do the testing.
1532303243312639.jpg
btw, its way more comfortable using these than s or g cush pads.1532303242048643.jpg

The sound when uncorrected: very well extended low freq but too much boost in 200-600hz it will sound very bloated, need to turn it down a couple of db as it affects the vocal clarity so much. but the good side is the sibilance disappeared entirely.

after correction: a very good amount of rumbling, tight bass with very good extension, no sibilance, vocals a lil bit pushed back, very warm sounding, a lil bit dark on the treble region but still existent.

All I can say is that, this is the most worthwhile mod Ive made so far better than changing usual grado pads or vent holes. but the sound signature of grado isnt there anymore, its sounds like a whole new headphones.
1532303239371547_1.jpg

i tried to eq it for the vocals to be not recessed and trebles retains it quantity, thanks to grados default 2khz peak i dont need much work for it, the bass however is far away from neutral, if i could compare it, its as close to m40x/cb-1 kind of bass but with better extension.
Untitled.png

Final conclusion: the sound signature of this mod is quite different from the usual grado house sound. but everything i found negative on the grado fixes it, comfort issues, low freq roll-off, graininess, sibilance. also improves microdetails, imaging and depth by a lot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-23-07-43-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-23-07-43-05.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #8,343 of 8,992
Turbulent Labs used to have a video on how to remove the headband but I don't see it anymore.
Basically wiggling the steel headband back and forth with an upward force should break the glue and free it from the block. Then you simply slide off the headband and slide in the new one.
When reassembling it, put a dab of super glue on the sides of the steel rod and insert it back in the block.

Thanks! Did not know they were hold on with just glue.

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #8,344 of 8,992
Friday! it’s a Friday! Woo-hoo! Everyone loves Friday and....new shops every Friday?:)

Who’s in?
I'd be interested in where you get the cups for less than $60 if they are better
Oh, Im also interested! I didn't respond anything because I assumed you meant that you were making them yourself (for less than $60). Definitely let us know, I'm sure a few others will also be interested!

it’s coming! it's coming! The train is coming:)

Woo-hoo!
IMG_0064 3.jpg

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #8,345 of 8,992
Morning everyone.

P.S. just give me a sign you Grado-maniacs :wink:

The first One who finds my store and publish a link here - will get a small bonus from me^^

Good luck head-fiers.

P.P.S. the tips were earlier in my old posts.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #8,347 of 8,992
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #8,350 of 8,992
Looking good! Fair prices, I like the updated cups with the hole for the cable instead of the slot.
I’m happy to hear that. Let me think..... do you like some really good leather stuff btw?:)

Have you tried any other types of wood so far?
Yes, I have now one more listing on Etsy (un-published), it will be nice brown/red stylish cups. with extremely good polishing. I will publish them soon.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #8,351 of 8,992
I’m happy to hear that. Let me think..... do you like some really good leather stuff btw?:)

Yes, I have now and more listing, it will be nice brown/red stylish cups. with extremely good polishing. I will publish them soon.
Hahaha. Yes, some leather would be great! Lol

Between you and the V8 drivers dropping in price, my poor wallet will be coming out when it has no business coming out for right now! Lol

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #8,352 of 8,992
Between you and the V8 drivers dropping in price, my poor wallet will be coming out when it has no business coming out for right now! Lol
haha! So here’s the deal for you: if you ever will decide to buy my cups- I will include one headband for you for free. Just a small gift:)
How's that? Sounds like a fair reward :wink:

oh! btw, these babies soon will be finished:

IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #8,354 of 8,992
Sounds good brother!:sunglasses::thumbsup:
Thanks for your feedback.

It’s a pleasure to serve you here:)

it is very important for me (being the owner of my new store) to understand that my prices are fair, and people will be happy with everything.

P.S. And thanks everyone here on head-fi for inspiration:)

Please come and see my little store. Have a great day, enjoy your music:wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back