post your grado mods....
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #8,041 of 8,992
Speaking of headbands, has anyone tried replacing their Grado Headband with a headband that has a thicker cushion of the likes of a Sony MDR-Z7 or a BeyerDynamic T1 ? I really would like to source such a headband and try to have it fit onto one of my Grado Headphones - or maybe even go the route using it on a DIY headphone.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #8,043 of 8,992
Oct 12, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #8,044 of 8,992
Anyone tried out the Rholupat steel headband? Is it comparable to the standard Grado one?

Yes it’s very similar, maybe fractionally thicker.

85DB2032-6D08-4234-AAA8-F2C0096C245E.jpeg

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #8,045 of 8,992
Rholupat emailed me about his gimbals being 80% ready for sale again soon.
I’m looking forward to seeing them on the web site.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #8,046 of 8,992
Update from yesterday:

Built the headphone for a test assembly, everything went well, sound is best open back with dampening matierial lining the cups.

Still need to add the mesh onto the cup ends and varnish some smaller pieces to finish off the look.

Here's what the inside of the cup looks like without the mesh grille.

IMG_0742.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 12, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #8,047 of 8,992
Anyone tried out the Rholupat steel headband? Is it comparable to the standard Grado one?
When I ordered some leather headbands in the past they used to come with the spring steel bands and the steel was a bit more flexible than the stock Grado steel band so it had slightly less clamping force which can be good or bad depending on the individual. The other thing I noticed was the stock Grado steel bands have a slight bend where they plug into the rod blocks which give them the correct geometry so I had to bend the steel bands from Rholuplat to get the proper fit for me.

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #8,048 of 8,992
When I ordered some leather headbands in the past they used to come with the spring steel bands and the steel was a bit more flexible than the stock Grado steel band so it had slightly less clamping force which can be good or bad depending on the individual. The other thing I noticed was the stock Grado steel bands have a slight bend where they plug into the rod blocks which give them the correct geometry so I had to bend the steel bands from Rholuplat to get the proper fit for me.

Thanks for the info. I am planning a full custom build at some point and I didn't want to have to hunt down a dead Grado just to get the headband.

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #8,051 of 8,992
I like the looks of the Grado style headband better.
I'd have to agree that I also prefer the Grado style headband but to me it needs the Rholuplat rod blocks + gimbals to finish up the look. But the MDR-7506 headband is more comfortable and the geometry is better for most head sizes/shapes in getting a better fit.

I've also noticed that the wire headband length has not been consistently the same from batch to batch and even some Grado ones are not exactly the same. I only noticed this when moving a headband from one build to another that a leather headband fits perfect (touches the rod block to me) on one build and when I put it on another metal band the leather headband was too long and didn't allow the metal band to fully seat in the rod block.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #8,052 of 8,992
Here is the next step in my Grado modding. These started off as SR-80's, I removed the silk type screen on the drivers, poked holes and added dynamat about 3-4 years ago. Last year I added a Turbulent Labs tan headband to make them slightly more comfortable. This week, I got my new mahogany cups in from Fleasbaby and installed them last night. I also took a stab at re-cabling them and you can see the first cable I've ever made here. Overall a few things could have come out a bit cleaner, specifically with the cable but I'm pretty happy with it for now.

IMG_0837.JPG

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #8,054 of 8,992
@wildcat46734 , some really nice work there and the cable looks really nice in the pictures. About the only thing I would comment I'd make on the cables are the colors :ksc75smile:
It looks like the VE monk Espresso cable, it kinda suits the look with the monk earbuds but maybe not as much for the grado, it's still nice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back