post your grado mods....
Oct 7, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #8,011 of 8,987
your wish is my command:

Its a PITA to cut up dynamat in to such small strips. Got the idea from Jaco with the scarlet driver.
Thank you good sir; nice mod and very clean soldering on the leads!

You might consider posting this pic on the Nhoord thread as it is a very clear and concise example of a mod.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #8,012 of 8,987
Morning Modders! -

Semi-trick question here: how do you know you're done modding?

Just completed(?) my first full build:

EBfGOXil.jpg

• cocobolo cups from @fleasbaby lined w/ a thin strip of acoustic foam
  • 325is driver w/ 3 opened vents + Dynamat
  • triple layer grill
  • OEM 3.5mm cable

I've been using the RS-2 and the PS-500 as references. I've gotten my pair to sound very similar to the RS-2 but seems to be just a touch fatiguing. If anyone has a solve for this I am all ears...

Also, to return to my original question: how do you know when you're done? Would love to hear from the experienced modders out there.

Looking forward to the discussions and here's another picture just because :blush:

brjXZpLl.jpg

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #8,013 of 8,987
Morning Modders! -

• triple layer grill
  • OEM 3.5mm cable

I've been using the RS-2 and the PS-500 as references. I've gotten my pair to sound very similar to the RS-2 but seems to be just a touch fatiguing. If anyone has a solve for this I am all ears...

Also, to return to my original question: how do you know when you're done? Would love to hear from the experienced modders out there.

Looking forward to the discussions and here's another picture just because :blush:
Nicely done!

RE: the fatigue, SR325is drivers can be bright. Usually holes and Dynamat fix this, but you've already done three, so I'd hesitate before adding more. That's just my personal preference though.

RE: being done...you're never done LOL...there's always one more tweak.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #8,014 of 8,987
Hi guys, given the various driver models for the Grado, i have sr80 drivers with wooden cups, i would like to change the drivers for higher quality, what do you recommend? Drivers for rs325, or magnum v8, elleven acoustica g1 (expensive by me) or nhoord audio v2?
Time ago I tried a Gs1000, and I like a lot ...

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #8,015 of 8,987
@cathee , I agree with @fleasbaby that you are never done modding, LOL. It is an incurable sickness and there is no cure.

The 325i drivers are about the brightest that I've heard and I wouldn't open any more vent holes since it will only increase the bass and start to throw of the balance of the sound signature but not to anything for the highs. One thing that might work is to use a thin foam pad over the drivers and then use some generic G-pads since they will move the drivers a little further away which seems to decrease the brightness a touch along with giving the bass a few dB boost. You can cut up some S-pads to cover the drivers if you don't have any other foam pads around.

I think the easiest cure would be to change the drivers to either the Nhoord Red V2 or Magnum V8 (haven't heard them yet but some say its close to the V7 which I liked but they are still brighter than the Nhoord's)

PS: Nice work @cathee, and to @fleasbaby those cups are some of the nicest yet.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #8,016 of 8,987
@cathee , I agree with @fleasbaby that you are never done modding, LOL. It is an incurable sickness and there is no cure.

The 325i drivers are about the brightest that I've heard and I wouldn't open any more vent holes since it will only increase the bass and start to throw of the balance of the sound signature but not to anything for the highs. One thing that might work is to use a thin foam pad over the drivers and then use some generic G-pads since they will move the drivers a little further away which seems to decrease the brightness a touch along with giving the bass a few dB boost. You can cut up some S-pads to cover the drivers if you don't have any other foam pads around.

I think the easiest cure would be to change the drivers to either the Nhoord Red V2 or Magnum V8 (haven't heard them yet but some say its close to the V7 which I liked but they are still brighter than the Nhoord's)

PS: Nice work @cathee, and to @fleasbaby those cups are some of the nicest yet.

Thanks David :).

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #8,017 of 8,987
Hi guys, given the various driver models for the Grado, i have sr80 drivers with wooden cups, i would like to change the drivers for higher quality, what do you recommend? Drivers for rs325, or magnum v8, elleven acoustica g1 (expensive by me) or nhoord audio v2?
Time ago I tried a Gs1000, and I like a lot ...
It depends on the sound that you are looking for: if you want something warmer than the SR80 drivers I would suggest either the Red V2 (warmest) or MagnumV7/V8 (closer to neutral) , if looking for something closer to the 325i/e then the Ypsilon G1 (brightest but also goes the lowest with good clean bass) but note that the G1 was designed for cups shaped like the GS series Grado and G-pads.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #8,019 of 8,987
@Tix88 , I have use those cups before and still have 3 I think? (sorry, its 8:30am in Hawaii and I've been drinking wine with my GF all night so I'll be going to sleep soon).
If you like the sound of the GS series my suggesting would be the Ypsilon G1 since its the closest to the GS1000e in sound signature. But I'm not sure how the G1 will sound in the rosewood cups since my G1 driver is in GS style walnut cups and since you noted that you consider the G1 drivers on the pricy side I would suggest going with the Nhoord Red V2 and modding them to get the powerful bass that you are looking for. The highs of the Nhoord are not as extended as the G1, R1 and Magnum V7 but to most its never sibilant either while the other drivers can get sibilant at times. FWIW all of my non-audiophile friends and even some of the audiophile ones like the sound of the Nhoord with minimal modification over almost all my other headphones.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #8,020 of 8,987
@fleasbaby @DavidA - Thanks for the replies. My favorite set up with the Grado S Cushions with a penny hole cut in the middle. Thinking about experimenting with different films on the ear-side of the driver (similar to your suggestion of thin foam plus G pads), maybe a silk or linen or something.

@Tix88 From my own experience in modding, getting "higher quality" (read: more expensive) parts does not always translate to improvement in audio. I would recommended tinkering with your current drivers before getting anything. May I ask what don't you like about your current sound? How do you want to improve it?

Also, I guess you guys are right: the modding never ends :sweat_smile:

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #8,025 of 8,987
Morning Modders! -

EBfGOXil.jpg

• triple layer grill
  • OEM 3.5mm cable

brjXZpLl.jpg

If you want a more fuller,balanced and not so fatigued sound you should NOT open holes and try the flats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back