post your grado mods....
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #7,981 of 8,987
Quick cheap dirty fix with a drill and some wire. :)

Drill the hole, stick through the wire, put both ends of the wire into the chuck and zip you got a ugly quick fix.
I normally just use a drop of super glue, that way I can always twist it to break the bond

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #7,982 of 8,987
I normally just use a drop of super glue, that way I can always twist it to break the bond
Yeah, I have done that in the past, but I got sick of messing with it and well the wire pulls everything together rather well.

Edit I should probably note this pair travels a lot and gets thrashed, it not one of my nice pair.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #7,983 of 8,987
Yeah, I have done that in the past, but I got sick of messing with it and well the wire pulls everything together rather well.

Edit I should probably note this pair travels a lot and gets thrashed, it not one of my nice pair.
I understand your frustration with the rod block just coming off when you are on the road. I've been thinking of trying some hex head machine screws to how the band in place, similar to how Rholuplat does his rod blocks.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #7,984 of 8,987
Hey all. Just bought my first grados 80e. What are the essential mods I could do for these. Just to warn you all I have never done mods before so excuse my ignorance

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #7,985 of 8,987
A set of yellow HD414 pads might be the first and last mod you'll need.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #7,986 of 8,987
Hey all. Just bought my first grados 80e. What are the essential mods I could do for these. Just to warn you all I have never done mods before so excuse my ignorance
I think I might have replied in another thread to this same question but to lazy to check.
Listen to the 80e for a while and then think about what you would like improved / changed. This way you can ask a more specific question and will get better recommendations.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #7,987 of 8,987
Not being a cheeky monkey here but have you read thru this and/or the following threads linked below? Though some are indeed very long there is a wealth of knowledge in these threads and the time I spent scanning through them was time well spent in my opinion.

post your grado mods.... (533 tabs long)
The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread (41 tabs)

Though not directly related to "Grado original" there are some useful modding discussions and tips that you could apply to your cans in the following threads as well...

Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?! (21 tabs)
Grado modders go Magnum (295 tabs)
Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread) (39 tabs)

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #7,988 of 8,987
Thanks. I will start to work my way though those threads. My 80s should arrive today and am looking forward to listening to them. I love metal so they should suit my needs

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #7,989 of 8,987
Here is also few basic mods:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Grado-Headphone-Modification/

I also prefer L cushions for all grados. It opens up soundstage, but weakens bassresponce, wich you can bring back with punch/ventilation mod + tapemod.

But like David A wisely said: Listen and think what do you need. My wife likes her Grados as is. I prefer very heavy modded ones. I just modded one pair of 60:s for my friend and thinked, that they are still overly bright, but he just loves them. So it´s up to your preferences.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #7,991 of 8,987
They arrived today and I've had a quick listen to various types of metal (black and some death) sounds really good. Tried it with some hip hop and as I expected bass a bit lacking. Now to find some mods to help

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #7,992 of 8,987
They arrived today and I've had a quick listen to various types of metal (black and some death) sounds really good. Tried it with some hip hop and as I expected bass a bit lacking. Now to find some mods to help
Best mods for more bass is the vent hole mod + dynamat in the cups + generic G-pads, which should be done together. The vent hole and dynamat mods will require you to open up the cups which can be done with either a hair drier or soaking in a pan with about 10-12mm deep of hot water, each method has its dangers so be careful. I prefer the soak in hot water since its faster for opening the cups (grill side in the water) the first time but use the hair drier anytime after since there is usually less glue to heat up. I think there are YouTube vids that show each process.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #7,993 of 8,987
Hey -

I picked up two pairs of SR80 from a garage sale recently ($35 :smile:). They're the old school thin/flat versions and both working pretty well, however one has a 1/4 jack and the other 1/8 jack. Does anyone have any more information about these early Grados? Wanted to do a little research before I cut them up!

Also, one of the holes for the gimbals on my RS2 is a little widened, anyone have a good solution for it?

Thanks in advance,
x

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #7,994 of 8,987
Damn that's a great deal, $35 for 2 working headphones. If you want to find out more about them I would post pictures on the Grado Fan Club thread since there are some very knowledgeable persons there that know how to tell what is what: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/page-2427

I would love to hear solutions to the problem of gimbal holes being too large and how to remedy it. For me I would use wood filler and re-drill the hole but since taking out the drivers from a RS2 is a PITA and not something to be taken lightly having done it twice.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #7,995 of 8,987
Hey -

I picked up two pairs of SR80 from a garage sale recently ($35 :smile:). They're the old school thin/flat versions and both working pretty well, however one has a 1/4 jack and the other 1/8 jack. Does anyone have any more information about these early Grados? Wanted to do a little research before I cut them up!

Also, one of the holes for the gimbals on my RS2 is a little widened, anyone have a good solution for it?

Thanks in advance,
x

Nice find. I have seen older SR80 come with a 1/4 inch jack before. Not many, but it happens. The good news is, this usually indicates they are pretty old. Take off the pads and look at the color of the cheesecloth covering the driver grills. If its discolored and has pink hue to it, congratulations, you have a pair of "Pinks". They usually sound smoother and in some folks' opinions, better than current Grado offerings. I like them a lot stock. They also respond really well to wooden cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back