post your grado mods....
Sep 19, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #7,966 of 8,992
Great work assembling them! I especially like the stealth mod on the SR125. Looks like a normal pair of vintage SR125 outside, but wooden sleeves inside. Glad you like the finished product and glad they achieved the desired results.

Thanks! Since they are "vintage", I didn't want to totally gut the design, maintaining the look of the originals was my goal, but gotta get that tonewood goodness :)

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #7,967 of 8,992
Thanks! Since they are "vintage", I didn't want to totally gut the design, maintaining the look of the originals was my goal, but gotta get that tonewood goodness :)

Yes indeed :)

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #7,968 of 8,992
Finally got the time to put together a first real try at modding Grados. Rescued a pair of drivers from a pair of beat-up MS1s I found on eBay and put them in these woodies. (Sorry about the blurry iPhone snap but I'm rather excited).

BB6M9FA.jpg

Now I realize, getting sound is easy (OK, soldering was tricky) but getting the sound right is a trip. Any advice on taming highs? (I'm already contemplating better drivers - looking at you elleven acoustica!)

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #7,969 of 8,992
@cathee , nice cups, where did you get them?

As for taming the highs you might want to try different pads, I like generic G-pads since they move the driver a bit farther from your ears which reduces the highs just a little, the denser foam gives the bass a 1-2dB boost and the slightly softer edge is more comfortable than the OEM Grado G-pads.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #7,970 of 8,992

As for taming the highs you might want to try different pads, I like generic G-pads since they move the driver a bit farther from your ears which reduces the highs just a little, the denser foam gives the bass a 1-2dB boost and the slightly softer edge is more comfortable than the OEM Grado G-pads.
I will definitely second "Generic" G-Cush Pads over the more expensive Grado ones. The generic G-Cush pads are more comfortable and sound better to my ears.

Though I do find myself preferring Grado L-Cush pads over the "Generic" L-Cush ones and all else including the "Generic" G-Cush.

@cathee Do like DavidA suggested... try a few different pads to see what works best with your headphones and listening requirements; I did and am very happy that I followed his advice :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #7,971 of 8,992
I just modded original pair of 125:s to my studio pro gollegue, and he was extremely happy, how they did come up.
If i was you, i would get rid of that 125-button, from the grill. It just adds unwanted reflections to upper mids. Chance is subttle, but you can definedly hear it.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #7,972 of 8,992
Oh, and taming the highs i found three ways:
-Get rid of that center button.
-Cut magnet sized circles out of aircondition filter pad, and hotclue one or two cm layers of it on the magnet. (Stange enough, this did not work with 325is:s at all!?!)
-Take cotton pad, that ladies use for removing makeup. Split it and pick that extra cotton away, so you only have this very thin outercoating remaining. Slap that front of the driver, put your pads on and voilá

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #7,973 of 8,992
Got two new builds!

First build: got my hands on a vintage, unused pair of SR125 pinks from 1995 (with the original purchase receipt :O), so obviously I had to extract the drivers and mod them. White limba inner sleeves (courtesy of the great @fleasbaby ), original cups/gimbals/rod blocks, but replaced the plastic grill with steel mesh, headband pad courtesy of Rholupat. Cable is my design, 26 AWG OCC copper cable, Oyaide 3.5mm rhodium plug.

Man I love these. I think they maybe my favorite build I have seen on here.

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #7,974 of 8,992

1/1 by Bruce Mackenzie aka "babyfleas" aka "wabi sabi" (the only decent Japanese restaurant in Florence when I lived there) aka "Season 1 Eva Longoria" (giving all these geezers wood :wink:)

They're cocobolo and were actually supposed to be a pair of mock GS1000s but a happy little accident meant they had to be a little smaller than usual, so I guess they're the GS800. Would be curious to compare them to a regular sized pari of GS1000s to compare!

I will definitely second "Generic" G-Cush Pads over the more expensive Grado ones. The generic G-Cush pads are more comfortable and sound better to my ears.

Though I do find myself preferring Grado L-Cush pads over the "Generic" L-Cush ones and all else including the "Generic" G-Cush.

Do like DavidA suggested... try a few different pads to see what works best with your headphones and listening requirements; I did and am very happy that I followed his advice :wink:

Definitely agree with you guys on the foams. I prefer the Earzonk G-Cush to the Grado ones. It's just a touch shallower and the interior shape is definitely different and more comfortable. However, I don't like the change in mids/bass when you switch to the G-Cush. And personally I can't get along with the L-Cush, something about them just does not work with my ears :disappointed_relieved:

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #7,976 of 8,992
I just modded original pair of 125:s to my studio pro gollegue, and he was extremely happy, how they did come up.
If i was you, i would get rid of that 125-button, from the grill. It just adds unwanted reflections to upper mids. Chance is subttle, but you can definedly hear it.

Thanks for the idea. I am a sucker for aesthetics though, want to keep the look of the original 125's. These older models from the 90's don't have the same upper mids/treble peaky issues of the i and e series, much more neutral IMO, so a small bump in the upper mids is tolerable to me.

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #7,978 of 8,992
@cathee , Bruce does some of the best work that I've seen, one of these days I will get my lazy butt in motion and send him some Koa wood to build some cups for me.

Thanks for the compliment.

I still dream of that Koa wood every once in a while :). Any time you're ready, I am in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back