post your grado mods....
May 28, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #7,787 of 8,988
@DavidA

It's to use the softer earpads like how Sennheiser HD597 is.

I know those original earpads are comfortable to some and some says that there is a trick to wear it but I never seem to get it right. And it was also then that I tried the HD597 that feels so good... even though I still want the sound of the grado which made me thought of modding it myself.

But the planning and stuff took me so long as I didn't want to spoil any of the originals and also spent too much money on it.(Since I am not really a good DIY kinda guy too) Even the acoustic foam stuff was something that was thought out on the moment itself when I realize too much echo and distortion in the original mod.

PS: Also, isn't opened and closed in regards to air being able to enter drivers itself from the back?
I shouldn't have turned it into a closed-ear headphones like this right?
(Sorry, I am still new to these stuff so I might have the wrong interpretation all this while..)

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #7,788 of 8,988
@DavidA

It's to use the softer earpads like how Sennheiser HD597 is.

I know those original earpads are comfortable to some and some says that there is a trick to wear it but I never seem to get it right. And it was also then that I tried the HD597 that feels so good... even though I still want the sound of the grado which made me thought of modding it myself.

But the planning and stuff took me so long as I didn't want to spoil any of the originals and also spent too much money on it.(Since I am not really a good DIY kinda guy too) Even the acoustic foam stuff was something that was thought out on the moment itself when I realize too much echo and distortion in the original mod.

PS: Also, isn't opened and closed in regards to air being able to enter drivers itself from the back?
I shouldn't have turned it into a closed-ear headphones like this right?

Okay, I understand the comfort part since the stock Grado L pads are not very comfortable to me also. I would suggest trying some cheap G pads from Ebay ($5-7) or if you want to do a little DIY start with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MF7W2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, it will give you a frame to mount the ear pads to and while the pads that come with it are good you can then get Shure SRH-1540 alcantara pads which are even more comfortable.

May 28, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #7,789 of 8,988
@DavidA

Thanks for the suggestion. But I find my current mod working just fine.

I will think about it after a while, or if I start to find any discomfort/distortion from my current mod setup. (I did put in quite some effort in doing something I am not used to after all. Not planning to go into it anytime soon again. :grin: haha)

May 28, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #7,790 of 8,988
Hello there, fellow Grado modders. There is so beautiful and gorgeous mods out there, that it´s making me a bit jealous and humbe, to be such and good company.
Let me share to you my story so far:

I have own few grado (and alessandro) models in last 20 years and lately i have been seeking new "perfect" preference headphones for my mastering studio purposes. And to be honest, i was thinking
that time must been driven past on Grados. But then when i popped by local hifi dealers, and listened all those modern headphones, i realised that i have to put loads of money to the table, to
get ramarkably better sound. Even widely praiced HD800 were just too bright, and just... uh just can´t stand how they sound.
Then i tought that why i wont check out if i can mod my grados, to get that bass bit bigger, and smooth out that upper middle a bit. And i found so much help from different sites. Especially from Head Fi´s closed SR60Mod, thread.

So first of all, i popped my SR125 open, punched 4 holes, listened, puncehd one more, so totally 5 per phone was allmost perfect, when compared that to my studiospeaker system, that is pure and flat from 20Hz to 20KHz.
Then i taped the sides of my L-cushions, and woop, here it was! Perfect tonal balance and somehow that tapemod tamed that a bit annoying ring at 2000Hz range just slighty enough.
And now i must get clear, that these cans are the old model, not i or e, or where they are nowdays. And i find that there is a difference. These newer models use slightly different drivers, that have a bit higher resonance peak around 2100Hz. Like +2.5dB, or so and its quite narrow. Not big deal for everyone, but its a big deal for me, who seeks absolutely flat responce, as i listen for my profession. (Is that a proper sentence? Im from Finland, so forgive me my clumsy english)

So there was i, enjoying my perfect Grados, and could not get them out of my head. But that made me wonder, is there even more perfection beyond this?
So i found pair of used ES325is quite cheaply and went for it.
Popped them open with my heatgun, removed plastic from inside, removed plastic button (by the way, you get rid of that glue from the grill by heating it till i boils and just blow haaard, and off it flys.)
Punched 4 holes, dynamatted magnet and back of the driver (did that to 125:s too), and then some, and did tapemod for cushions. And boy are they good!!!
(Tried also those big bowls, with and without tapemod, but as they make bigger soundstage and are wery comfy indeed, they are one trick pony. Light classical and jazz they do fine, but not much more.)

Tonally both cans are now very close toghether, but 325is are a bit brighter from, lets say about 12000Hz up. And because of that newer model driver, it has that slight peak in that 2100Hz area. And yes it´s the driver. I have tried everything to get rid of that, but no bananas. And 325:s are slightly... umm sharper. Bass is just a hair tighter and image is a bit more open than in 125.s has.

Now... When i had something to compare with my modded SR125, i started to hear that plastic. Its subtle, but its there. So i got rid of that plastic mesh and start seeking for perfect metal grill material, and quess what: pasta strainer was the thing!!!
And as on it, i did put small bit of air conditioners airfilter material in back ot the driver, so it smoothed things out even more. (Strangely, when i did that same to 325:s, it made that uppermiddle frequencys even worst!)

Now i have two supergalifragilistix headphones. SR125:s are a bit more fun to listen and lighter to wear, but SR325.s are more analytical tools. If only i could tame that 2100Hz peak, they would be just perfect!

Lately i have listened and compared head to head quite large amount of headphones, and many of the stock Grados. RS2e:s were best to my ears, but my modded ones are even better! But i must admit that there is something going on with that wood!
Did not like GS1000e:s a bit Thin and weak sound. There is soundstage there, but i must admit, that i dont seek ultimate soundstage from my headphones. For that i got top notch speakersystem.
PS500 Pro -were a good match, but upper mids were killing me.
Then when i compared them all the other brands, like Hifiman, Oppo, Dynaudio, Audioquest, Sennheiser, NAD, Sony... there were no match. Well Hifimans were nice, but too smooth and well... nice.
There was only two headphones better than my Modded ones Focal Utopia and especially
Audeze LCD-4 (Wich were totally amazing!!! Need those!!!). But they are aroind 4-5000€, so not bad at all dear Gradomodders collective, not bad at all!
34820923926_35f46c5394.jpg

34820924616_9a7383b345_z.jpg

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #7,791 of 8,988
@Jazmanaut, I love your work area, mine used to be quite similar until my old GF decided that I need to clean it up.

I've heard the LCD-4 and it didn't impress me for that price but I'm not looking for neutral or natural like you are. As I posted in another thread life is too short to go chasing perfection so for me its pop open another bottle of wine and all sounds good (it sake today since GF didn't want to drink wine in the morning) and on other days its beer, vodka, tequila or scotch.

May 28, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #7,792 of 8,988
@Jazmanaut, I love your work area, mine used to be quite similar until my old GF decided that I need to clean it up.

I've heard the LCD-4 and it didn't impress me for that price but I'm not looking for neutral or natural like you are. As I posted in another thread life is too short to go chasing perfection so for me its pop open another bottle of wine and all sounds good (it sake today since GF didn't want to drink wine in the morning) and on other days its beer, vodka, tequila or scotch.

I hear you. This is our both working corner, where we both can tinker as wild as we want.
And no one likes good red, like i do. It can even separate me from my "analyze this!"-professional me.

Funny thing i just noticed, that probably has doing with different model tolences: When i listen sinesweep as test signal, sub-bass region in 325 are dead center as it suppose to be, but in 125 it´s a bit wide, which indicates, that phaseresponce is slighty off, on those drivers.

May 28, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #7,793 of 8,988
I hear you. This is our both working corner, where we both can tinker as wild as we want.
And no one likes good red, like i do. It can even separate me from my "analyze this!"-professional me.

Funny thing i just noticed, that probably has doing with different model tolences: When i listen sinesweep as test signal, sub-bass region in 325 are dead center as it suppose to be, but in 125 it´s a bit wide, which indicates, that phaseresponce is slighty off, on those drivers.

Nice that you have your other half that shares the same interest as you, I love my Cabs, also merlot and pinot.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #7,794 of 8,988
Greetings to all from Spain,

A lot of good mods, I see!!

I read about leather pads with Grado... I tried it for my self and music... The music dies, without mercy. I need tried the pads with some kind of "very" high (sound) driver...

2w6yy3b.jpg

Have a good day... or night.
C.K.

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #7,796 of 8,988
Greetings, I have a pair of HF-1's that I haven't used in years ever since the cups came undone (I guess the glue gave out). Kept thinking I would take the opportunity for some mods, but life kept...happening...so here I am. I don't want to spend a lot (headphile), am partial to anything DIY, and know that I wan't to take advantage of these guys while they're out of commission. What do you guys think?

Jun 8, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #7,797 of 8,988
Greetings, I have a pair of HF-1's that I haven't used in years ever since the cups came undone (I guess the glue gave out). Kept thinking I would take the opportunity for some mods, but life kept...happening...so here I am. I don't want to spend a lot (headphile), am partial to anything DIY, and know that I wan't to take advantage of these guys while they're out of commission. What do you guys think?

I don't know if I would do any mods to the HF-1 since they are a limited edition headphones, but fixing them back to original would be my first priority.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #7,798 of 8,988
I don't know if I would do any mods to the HF-1 since they are a limited edition headphones, but fixing them back to original would be my first priority.
To me i could not give less, if they are made from gold, if they dont sound perfect.
It all depends what you are after. More bass? Do punch mod. Also little dynamat to the back of the driver cup does not harm sound at all.
And different cushions makes big difference.
Personally i do wiremod only, if original cable is uncomphy. Soundvice...meh.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #7,799 of 8,988
I definitely want to respect that they are originals, so things like leather headband (rholuplat/turbulent), cushions (dyed senns/flats), were on top of my list. I figured cables might be fun if we all had a clear bang for your buck upgrade. But ya, maybe I'll just get them back together first and re-learn the sound before anything that would affect the sound signature. Dynamat and punch mod are intriguing. For that future modding, I've seen people recommend blu tack instead of glue for the cups. Thoughts on that? I also think the plastic/wood combo was a problem for whatever stock glue was used, so not sure if I would need to step up to something heavier duty if I were to go the glue route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back