post your grado mods....
Sep 15, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #7,396 of 8,988
Help, I am frustrated with the pads constantly falling off my cups...this happens with most pads I try and on stock sr325, modded sr60 wooden cups, and stock sr60s.  Has anyone come up with a means of non-permanent attachment of pads to cups? I was thinking of the hook side of Velcro on the cups but didn't know if it would damage the foam.  Has anyone tried this?

-retox

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #7,397 of 8,988
Help, I am frustrated with the pads constantly falling off my cups...this happens with most pads I try and on stock sr325, modded sr60 wooden cups, and stock sr60s.  Has anyone come up with a means of non-permanent attachment of pads to cups? I was thinking of the hook side of Velcro on the cups but didn't know if it would damage the foam.  Has anyone tried this?

-retox

Honestly your the first person I've ever heard have this problem. But it would be good to know.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #7,398 of 8,988

-retox

It sounds like your pads might be stretched out. I am assuming you're using a pair of L-Cush? When this happens to me, I steal my wife's hairdryer, set it to high heat, place the pads face down and apply it to the side of the pad that does NOT sit on my ear. After a minute I pick them up and try to scrunch them back to a smaller diameter with my hands. Once they have cooled, the heat and the scrunching usually combine to bring them down a size.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #7,399 of 8,988
So I have started work on this article:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/grado-modification-overview

If anyone has notes or suggestions, let me know...

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #7,401 of 8,988
  So I have started work on this article:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/grado-modification-overview

If anyone has notes or suggestions, let me know...

That is awesome. I am looking to do a Grado mod in the very near future.

Just out of curiosity, I have seen a number of Grado SR60/SR80 with Sennheiser 414 pads. Do these change the sound compare to the S-Cush?

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #7,402 of 8,988
That is awesome. I am looking to do a Grado mod in the very near future.

Just out of curiosity, I have seen a number of Grado SR60/SR80 with Sennheiser 414 pads. Do these change the sound compare to the S-Cush?

Thanks for bringing those up...I'll add them in when I get a minute. They are basically the same as the S-Cush...

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #7,403 of 8,988
You may want to link Stratocaster's custom earpads he made.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/3600#post_12056151

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/3600#post_12054947

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/3480#post_12006403

I know it looks extensive, but this is modding.

Never been a better time to be a Grado modder.

PS fleasbaby, I need to get back on e-mailing you sometime soon. Sorry for falling off the Earth's cube-icle.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #7,404 of 8,988
First post here...

I just recently got the Grado bug (acquired RS2e about a month ago), but have been lurking on this thread for a while.

I found a pair of SR125i's for an amazing low price and thought I would try the mod route.  As luck would have it , some mahogany cups recently came available at Turbulent Labs so I ordered a pair along with a leather headband.  Nice folks at Turbulent.  Jin e-mailed me when the cups were available and shipped next day.  They arrived this week.

The cups have a matte finish, and appear to really well made...beautiful, even.  The striping in the grain is gorgeous.  I should have the headband from Turbulent next week, and will start to disassemble the 125's.

I know that this project is tame (or lame?) compared to most of the modding efforts here...but I thought it would be good to start with some small steps.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #7,406 of 8,988
  @zombywoof, no project is tame or lame, hope all goes well with your build and post some pictures of the completed project, I've always enjoyed looking at others projects.

Will do.  I have seen some really amazing headphones in this thread.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #7,408 of 8,988
First post here...

I just recently got the Grado bug (acquired RS2e about a month ago), but have been lurking on this thread for a while.

I found a pair of SR125i's for an amazing low price and thought I would try the mod route.  As luck would have it , some mahogany cups recently came available at Turbulent Labs so I ordered a pair along with a leather headband.  Nice folks at Turbulent.  Jin e-mailed me when the cups were available and shipped next day.  They arrived this week.

The cups have a matte finish, and appear to really well made...beautiful, even.  The striping in the grain is gorgeous.  I should have the headband from Turbulent next week, and will start to disassemble the 125's.

I know that this project is tame (or lame?) compared to most of the modding efforts here...but I thought it would be good to start with some small steps.

I agree with DavidA
Those cups are beautiful but don't look anything like mahogany.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #7,409 of 8,988
@DavidA
@7keys
They are, indeed,  striped rosewood...not sure why I wrote that they were mahogany.  Regardless, they are really nicely made and the finish is very well done.  I couldn't be more pleased.  Turbulent's pricing is also very reasonable for the quality of the cups.  I am anxious to receive the replacement head band so I can start.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #7,410 of 8,988

It sounds like your pads might be stretched out. I am assuming you're using a pair of L-Cush? When this happens to me, I steal my wife's hairdryer, set it to high heat, place the pads face down and apply it to the side of the pad that does NOT sit on my ear. After a minute I pick them up and try to scrunch them back to a smaller diameter with my hands. Once they have cooled, the heat and the scrunching usually combine to bring them down a size.

Yes, I am using L-Cush and the large pads referred as salad bowls...both come off.
Salad bowls more so.
Both are new.  Not sure what the problem is. I will try your suggestion and see what happens.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back