post your grado mods....
Sep 9, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #7,381 of 8,988
I've been looking for a leather or faux leather head band to get rid of the cheap plastic headband that came with my SR60e hp that I added wooden cups to.
I might have a reasonably priced source but have not had the time to investigate.  So, I decided to go commando and used some para-cord to replace the plastic headband.
I was surprised with the outcome...going commando is a little more comfy than I expected.

I hope to give them a good listen tonight and see if I really like the outcome...

Opinions welcome

Great stuff :). Very inventive and looks good. If you decide to get a headband, try these guys:

http://www.modhouseaudio.com/grado-leather-headband/

They come with "i-am-iron-man"s recommendations...

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #7,386 of 8,988
Hi Forums, first mod for me re: wiring with the SR-80's

Simple fix for my cable due to cracking at the Y joint due to twisting and wish to use the original cable for budget / testing reasons.
I wanted to use some nice olive green para cord I had lying about.

Materials & Tools

1. Paracord (or hiking boot laces)
  2. 60-40 Solder for tinning
  3. Soldering iron
  4. Gorilla glue or super glue
  5. Hair dryer
  6. Scissors
  7. Tinfoil
  8. Shrink wrap

Lessons learned

• Apply shrink wrap before soldering, 6.5 mm shrink wrap will not fit over the moulded jack

• Make some temp coverings to protect the speakers from solder splashes and glue work.
  • [size=x-small]Twisting/braiding the cable vs not twisting before sleeving with paracord. I twisted mine but had to even them out later during tensioning.[/size]

Ideas:  noticed 3.2mm shrink wrap fits over the L/R cables perfectly, might make a stronger/stiffer cable mod for somebody out there.

[size=x-small]So heres my quickie imgur gallery images from the repair job / mod with my notes for any other Sr80 users out there, if somebody with image posting rights wants to paste the final image here for reference? thanks :)[/size]

https://imgur.com/a/6pIOR

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #7,387 of 8,988
@Obrx
, nice work.

I suggest a cable splitter to clean up the split, double-helix make a really nice aluminum/carbon fiber one, reasonable price too.  you can also try a craft store and look for a tube section used for beads like this:

the one from the craft shop are on the outsides, the double-helix is in the middle

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #7,388 of 8,988
  Agreed...maybe we should approach the mods and ask if they can unlock it for us? I'll drop one a line and see...

*edit* what the heck, I'll just @ one here...maybe @Brooko? Brooko, we're looking to unlock this page for editing and updating. I checked the folks who own it, and they haven't logged onto Head-Fi in quite some time (none in 2016 if I recall correctly). Is there a way to do this?

I just checked and it seems as though its not locked - problem is that I'm a Mod so it may be that I can't see the restraint to editing.

If you still can't do anything - you have two options - let me know, and I'll talk to one of the Admins.  Or copy the main data you need from that one, and start a new and updated Wiki page. Let me know which way you want to go, and I'll see if I can help.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #7,389 of 8,988

I just checked and it seems as though its not locked - problem is that I'm a Mod so it may be that I can't see the restraint to editing.

If you still can't do anything - you have two options - let me know, and I'll talk to one of the Admins.  Or copy the main data you need from that one, and start a new and updated Wiki page. Let me know which way you want to go, and I'll see if I can help.

Thanks for checking Brooko! In the interests of not duplicating data and possibly confusing folks coming along later, could you ask an admin to unlock the page? I checked and its definitely not available to me for editing.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #7,390 of 8,988
I've sent message to Amos and Joe.  We'll see what they can do :)

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #7,391 of 8,988
Try it now - think it should work.

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #7,393 of 8,988
azreal

Very nice, did you machine the aluminum cups and fabricate the headband?
I am interested in the details, I just got involved in modding Grados and have become addicted.

-retox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back