post your grado mods....
Jun 16, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #7,172 of 8,987
  Thanks for the response, I am replacing the headband and planed to use paracord and 30awg silver coated copper wire to jumper the right cat to the left can.  I have some mini jack panel mount connectors to attach to the left can.  The only problem I really see is the fact the cans spin 360 degrees and the wire will get stressed if I don't pay attention every time I put them on. I could adjust the cans to my liking and use a set screw to hold them in place.  Not sure I like that idea yet.

-Retox

That is basically how Larry from Headphile does his rod locks, but he uses the screws that have a nub that is easy to grip and turn with your fingers (don't know if it is technically still a set screw or not). I have owned a couple of his headbands and quite like how they lock.See here:

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #7,174 of 8,987
Hey Grado-modders:  I have a Grado SR125i which I purchased years ago that doesn't get that much play time anymore. But, I do love the mids - especially vocals and guitar -- and was wondering what I could do to make overall sound better.  After looking through the forums, I thought I would put some wood cups on, and maybe some other simple mods.  Currently, here's the plan:

a) Exchange original Grado plastic for wood cups (eyeing rosewood at Turbulent Labs)
b) Apply Dynamat damping on the drivers
c) upgrade(?) from S-Cush pads to L-Cush

First off -- will the SR125 sound okay with the L-Cush?  There seem to be different opinions.

Secondly, how much difference between Dynamat and blue tack or felt? The latter are easier to come by.

Lastly, with quality sources am I going to hear much of a difference with the woodies?  Are there other mods I should do?  Everyone mentions venting the drivers, but I'm having qualms about that particular step.  Not sure why. I like lean bass and I guess I worry about strange bass artifacts from a mod like that.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #7,175 of 8,987
  Hey Grado-modders:  I have a Grado SR125i which I purchased years ago that doesn't get that much play time anymore. But, I do love the mids - especially vocals and guitar -- and was wondering what I could do to make overall sound better.  After looking through the forums, I thought I would put some wood cups on, and maybe some other simple mods.  Currently, here's the plan:

a) Exchange original Grado plastic for wood cups (eyeing rosewood at Turbulent Labs)

First off -- will the SR125 sound okay with the L-Cush?  There seem to be different opinions.

Secondly, how much difference between Dynamat and blue tack or felt? The latter are easier to come by.

Lastly, with quality sources am I going to hear much of a difference with the woodies?  Are there other mods I should do?  Everyone mentions venting the drivers, but I'm having qualms about that particular step.  Not sure why. I like lean bass and I guess I worry about strange bass artifacts from a mod like that.

a.  The wood cups from Turbulent are nice, I've gotten 2 pairs from them, well worth the cost.

b.  I use the dynamat around the cup, not on the driver, I've posted a few pictures a few pages back.  I use sorbothane on the back of the drivers, found that the sorbothane cleans up the sound.  I've never used blue tack so can't say how or if different from dynamat.

c.  I would go with the L pads, I have a woody SR-60i with the L pads:

d.  With my SR-225e I opened one extra hole on each driver, adds a nice thump to the bass and it doesn't become muddy, I think the sorbothane helps in keeping the bass clean and tight.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #7,176 of 8,987

a.  The wood cups from Turbulent are nice, I've gotten 2 pairs from them, well worth the cost.

b.  I use the dynamat around the cup, not on the driver, I've posted a few pictures a few pages back.  I use sorbothane on the back of the drivers, found that the sorbothane cleans up the sound.  I've never used blue tack so can't say how or if different from dynamat.

d.  With my SR-225e I opened one extra hole on each driver, adds a nice thump to the bass and it doesn't become muddy, I think the sorbothane helps in keeping the bass clean and tight.

Very nice!  I'll have to check out sorbothane options as well.  Thanks for the tips!

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #7,177 of 8,987

What the heck is sorbothane?

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #7,178 of 8,987
Jun 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #7,179 of 8,987
Jun 17, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #7,180 of 8,987
Here's a grado mod for you, I've been looking for a closed back for awhile now but didn't find anything I liked, soundstage is important to me. In my research I found that the byer dt770 had a good soundstage. When I saw a pic of the inside of the cup it had a wall around the driver, looked like a cup, like an opened back inside a closed back.

I wondered what a closed back would sound like if it had a wood cup inside. I decided to put a wood cup inside my SoundMagic hp150.

I'll be testing it today.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #7,181 of 8,987
First part showed up recently -- the L-cush pads.  I read somewhere that the sr125 didn't do well with the L-cush pads, but after adding them, I'm quite pleased.  More detail in the upper registers, and as mentioned in this thread a number of times, dialed back a bit on the bass.  But the addition of soundstage over the S-cush pads is much appreciated, and in my view well worth it.  I tried the tape mod with electrical tape, and it was quite good -- increasing bass and also making the upper mids smoother and more genteel. Lost a little of the great grado mids though.  Also, I'm having a hard time accepting the idea that my grados will be wearing electrical tape all the time, so the tape came off, I washed the pads in soapy water as suggested, and am getting used to a new sound from by 125's -- which I have to say I rather enjoy.

Awaiting the rosewood cups ...

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #7,182 of 8,987
Here's a grado mod for you, I've been looking for a closed back for awhile now but didn't find anything I liked, soundstage is important to me. In my research I found that the byer dt770 had a good soundstage. When I saw a pic of the inside of the cup it had a wall around the driver, looked like a cup, like an opened back inside a closed back.

I wondered what a closed back would sound like if it had a wood cup inside. I decided to put a wood cup inside my SoundMagic hp150.

I'll be testing it today.

Kudos for creativity! Tell us how it works out :)

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #7,183 of 8,987
The soundstage was a little small and congested with that full cup........but I fixed that.

I'm really liking this mod, nice soundstage, the bass goes deep on the hp150 and the deep bass sound like it's coming from far away, a little weird, this mod changes that. I really like what I'm hearing.

I think I'll be sticking with this can...........for awhile.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #7,184 of 8,987
The soundstage was a little small and congested with that full cup........but I fixed that.

I'm really liking this mod, nice soundstage, the bass goes deep on the hp150 and the deep bass sound like it's coming from far away, a little weird, this mod changes that. I really like what I'm hearing.

Do you think changing the fence with different wood types have any impact on sound?

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #7,185 of 8,987

Do you think changing the fence with different wood types have any impact on sound?

I'm sure it would, I'm thinking of sound somthing like light. I didn't want to use a hard wood that might reflect sound so I looked for a very soft and porious wood. I tried balsa but was unable to turn it......so then Iwent with basswood.
It turned out a lot better than I was expecting.

The hp150 is a great can to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back