post your grado mods....
Jun 8, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #7,156 of 8,987
I own both the HD600, a SR60-e with 3D printed cups and a Mahogany Woody Symphones/Magnums V6 drivers. If I run them from the Modi 2u/Vali2 combo I'm running at home the HD600's are in comparison better allrounders, while the SR60e excel in rock and classical music. The V6 drivers deliver an un Grado clean and slightly v-shaped sound signature that is musical and fun to listen to.

Little annoyances are simple: The HD600 needs an amp, otherwise it just sounds bad. The Grado's sound just as great from my iPhone as they would from an amp, the only difference is the coloring done by the tube.

I don't have any experience with PX-100II-i drivers.

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #7,158 of 8,987

My SR60e drivers are 45+- mm in diameter. I'm at work, don't have a caliper atm.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #7,160 of 8,987
Not much of a mod, but still: 

Grado/Alessandro MS-1 with wooden extenders, G-cushions, and GS headband.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #7,161 of 8,987
  Not much of a mod, but still: 

Grado/Alessandro MS-1 with wooden extenders, G-cushions, and GS headband.

And a rather fetching headphone stand
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #7,162 of 8,987
Got my SR125i drivers and 8 conductor cable installed into the maple GS1000 cups I bought from @Fleasbaby. If the GS2000 sounds better, then it must be hella good. These have me thinking of selling my GH1 set.

Really loving the maple sound.

You are making me think about making my grado sr-125 pinks into wood cups. They have all the holes punched out in the back so I can do extra modding and go back and cover up more holes.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #7,163 of 8,987
You are making me think about making my grado sr-125 pinks into wood cups. They have all the holes punched out in the back so I can do extra modding and go back and cover up more holes.

I tried this with my SR-225e, used walnut cups with some dynamat in the cups and sorbothane on the driver, much better than my RS2e  and a touch better than my HD-650, not quite up to HE-560/HD-800 level but for the price really hard to beat.  Didn't use the 8 conductor cable as I think its way to heavy and too short for me.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #7,164 of 8,987
I tried this with my SR-225e, used walnut cups with some dynamat in the cups and sorbothane on the driver, much better than my RS2e  and a touch better than my HD-650, not quite up to HE-560/HD-800 level but for the price really hard to beat.  Didn't use the 8 conductor cable as I think its way to heavy and too short for me.

Would love to see what the inside of that cup looks like...

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #7,165 of 8,987
Would love to see what the inside of that cup looks like...

I've since disassembled the woody SR-225e but I have pictures of a SennGrado and what the SR-225e currently look like:

ring of dynamat in the cup and sorbothane on the driver

Sorbothane on the back of driver and dynamat in the cup, felt dot on button

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #7,167 of 8,987
I am a newbie to HeadFi and headphones in general but have been an audio addict for quite some time now.  I am in the process of modding SR60s with leather headband, aluminum gimbals, and wooded cups.  I m not sure is there are any issues with going with a removable cable and eliminating the y and just passing the right channel through the headband and using a stereo jack on the the left can.  Can anyone give me some do's and don'ts on the subject. I can't post pictures yet but once I can I will share my progress.

Thanks

-Retox

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #7,168 of 8,987
  I am a newbie to HeadFi and headphones in general but have been an audio addict for quite some time now.  I am in the process of modding SR60s with leather headband, aluminum gimbals, and wooded cups.  I m not sure is there are any issues with going with a removable cable and eliminating the y and just passing the right channel through the headband and using a stereo jack on the the left can.  Can anyone give me some do's and don'ts on the subject. I can't post pictures yet but once I can I will share my progress.

Thanks

-Retox

The only challenge I can think of is making it look clean and discreet. BTW if Grado-like DIY modding and such is your bag, you might also enjoy having a look at the Grado Modders go Magnum thread.

Edit: This doesn't really help regarding how to do it, but here is a pic of an attempt at it I found at the rockgrotto boards:

Edit again: See also post #1830 in this thread.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #7,170 of 8,987
Thanks for the response, I am replacing the headband and planed to use paracord and 30awg silver coated copper wire to jumper the right cat to the left can.  I have some mini jack panel mount connectors to attach to the left can.  The only problem I really see is the fact the cans spin 360 degrees and the wire will get stressed if I don't pay attention every time I put them on. I could adjust the cans to my liking and use a set screw to hold them in place.  Not sure I like that idea yet.

-Retox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back