post your grado mods....
Aug 4, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #6,526 of 8,992
  Well, got confirmation of my Cups being sent from 7Keys, but seeing as I haven't got them yet, I'll post a image of my first Mod . . . Can you see it ??

And the addiction starts !!!!
evil_smiley.gif

gs1000.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Adjustment locks.   

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #6,528 of 8,992

Adjustment locks.   

Right!

Bingo !! I find now, that I can put them on my head and not having to adjust them, so much better. Now they don't slide and put pressure my noggin, and they sit perfect everytime. Not bad for $2 . . . . 

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,533 of 8,992
I plan on modding my SR80's with wood cups but am a bit nervous of the soldering part on the driver pad.  I understand that it can be damaged pretty easily.

Any tips?  What would the optimal iron temperature be to heat the solder quickly without damaging the driver?

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #6,534 of 8,992
Aug 7, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #6,535 of 8,992
  I plan on modding my SR80's with wood cups but am a bit nervous of the soldering part on the driver pad.  I understand that it can be damaged pretty easily.

Any tips?  What would the optimal iron temperature be to heat the solder quickly without damaging the driver?

Try practicing on an old motherboard taking the caps off and putting them back on, when you feel comfortable doing that.....you're ready. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #6,536 of 8,992
@DaemonSire

Practice on some scrap electronics. When heating up solder pay attention to when it turns shiny instead of it being dull.
The thing about soldering is to do it quick and not let the iron sit too long. Add a good amount of solder to the wire before soldering to the solder pad.
I have always used a pen type soldering iron, so I don't know the temperature. My guess is 370C.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #6,537 of 8,992
@7keys @Diesalot Thanks for the tips.

I've done a bit of soldering in the past (cables, mod chip into old PS1, etc.) but definitely plan on doing some more practicing before going at it with the Grados.

I've just recently got a variable temperature soldering station so was curious as to what you guys use.  Maybe I'm just over thinking this :) 

Probably best just to crank it up pretty high and be quick about it.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #6,538 of 8,992
  @7keys @Diesalot Thanks for the tips.

I've done a bit of soldering in the past (cables, mod chip into old PS1, etc.) but definitely plan on doing some more practicing before going at it with the Grados.

I've just recently got a variable temperature soldering station so was curious as to what you guys use.  Maybe I'm just over thinking this :) 

definitely practice on some cheap or broken headphone / eletronics
used sr60's can be had pretty cheap for prac
take a photo with your phone before you start
you don't have to  solder to the driver pads, cut the wire 1/2" before
and solder to the wire, use thin solder, presolder or tin everything
don't use too hot of an iron, i use this guy, its $18.50 on amazon works great

don't get discouraged  if you mess up take a break and go back to it

good luck

diy or die!

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #6,539 of 8,992
@7keys
 @Diesalot
 Thanks for the tips.

Definitely make sure you're quick about it. Nothing sucks more than warping your voice coil from excessive heart and bricking the driver.
Check the recommended temperature for the solder you're using. A little added flux is useful as long as you clean it off with the solder resin at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back