used sr60's can be had pretty cheap for prac
take a photo with your phone before you start
you don't have to  solder to the driver pads, cut the wire 1/2" before
and solder to the wire, use thin solder, presolder or tin everything
don't use too hot of an iron, i use this guy, its $18.50 on amazon works great

don't get discouraged  if you mess up take a break and go back to it

good luck

diy or die!

i had this same one (branded with a different name) and it just died. used it for 10 years, so not bad. just ordered a weller to replace it. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #6,543 of 8,992
Morning all,

As some of you might know I am kinda of a tweaker guy.. and I like to tweak my Grado to get the best out of them.
Did some experimenting and found the following and would like to share it with the community.

HF2
* Place a button on the outside grill with L cush. Sound becomes more flat and extremely transparent and detailed (sounds very neutral but excellent large detailed soundstage). Bass is less boomy and everything just sounds right. I am using these buttons from an old SR80 set (plastic) but you can also use foam or whatever else you can find. Use some blu tac to attach to grill. Takes a very good headphone to an excellent sounding one possibly reference.

RS1i
* Use also a button on the outside grill with L-cush. Am using a yellow foam(quarter coin diameter) from my quarter mod inverse senhheiser pads with some blu tac. Sound of mids is brought more forward and top end brightness and bottom end are reduced slightly to bring it to a neutral viewpoint. I prefer this setup overwhelmingly especially as you listen for more than 10+ minutes. It's less shouty and less bassy but more flat and easier on the ears for those long listening sessions. Soundstage is slightly more wider too. It's probably as good as can be made from these cans.... a more relaxed perspective with less of that top end fatigue experienced without the button.

Hope others can try and post their experiences but am very very comfortable now with these headphones. Has made me appreciate their value even more and thoroughly enjoy listening to them over long periods.

Happy listening Grad fans..
wink_face.gif

EDit: Some obligatory photos :)

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #6,545 of 8,992
Just finished the mods on my sr225i ! Mods are as follow:
1) Remove the "sr225" button from the grill.
2) Remove the inner plastic holder of the metal grill. I had to glue back the grill!
3) Remove & replace the front silk grill
4) Replace the plastic cup holders with "allen" screws w/ locking nuts!
5) Libarate the drivers and install them back so both drivers' soldering position looking UP!
6) Re "de-stressed" both drivers!
7) "Dynamat" the drivers!

This is the 2nd set of headphones as I still enjoy a lot my GS1000 (comfort & sound).
If I start to like it more then I will buy wooden cups (RS1 type)!

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #6,546 of 8,992
  Just finished the mods on my sr225i ! Mods are as follow:
1) Remove the "sr225" button from the grill.
2) Remove the inner plastic holder of the metal grill. I had to glue back the grill!
3) Remove & replace the front silk grill
4) Replace the plastic cup holders with "allen" screws w/ locking nuts!
5) Libarate the drivers and install them back so both drivers' soldering position looking UP!
6) Re "de-stressed" both drivers!
7) "Dynamat" the drivers!

This is the 2nd set of headphones as I still enjoy a lot my GS1000 (comfort & sound).
If I start to like it more then I will buy wooden cups (RS1 type)!

Nice job.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #6,547 of 8,992
Well they have arrived thanks to 7keys Also have my Turbulent Headband. More photos to come Thanks for these awesome looking cups mate. Cheers

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #6,548 of 8,992
...a little experimenting. Made some slip-on cups for the first time. These are in Cherry:

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #6,550 of 8,992
Hey there- I've checked out this forum a number of times over the summer & decided to try to make some cups for my 80i's using this method:
http://headfonics.com/2011/07/grado-diy-how-to-get-a-perfect-woody/.  Before I get started I thought I'd ask a couple of questions:

Are these, or any measurements/ dimensions "set in stone"- such as wall thickness or the diameter of the opening at the grille? Does the height of the cup make a difference?

Another thing that would be a great help is to know what is a "great sounding" wood to use? There is such an immense selection & I'm sure I'd be safe choosing mahogany or maple, but it would save a bit of energy if any of you could make a suggestion.

There is a lot of impressive & interesting work on this forum- thanks in advance for making all this info available to a novice.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #6,551 of 8,992
  Hey there- I've checked out this forum a number of times over the summer & decided to try to make some cups for my 80i's using this method:
http://headfonics.com/2011/07/grado-diy-how-to-get-a-perfect-woody/.  Before I get started I thought I'd ask a couple of questions:

Are these, or any measurements/ dimensions "set in stone"- such as wall thickness or the diameter of the opening at the grille? Does the height of the cup make a difference?

Another thing that would be a great help is to know what is a "great sounding" wood to use? There is such an immense selection & I'm sure I'd be safe choosing mahogany or maple, but it would save a bit of energy if any of you could make a suggestion.

There is a lot of impressive & interesting work on this forum- thanks in advance for making all this info available to a novice.

I found using that method it's best use a drill press with a vise and make all your cuts from one side.

You should read up a little on the wood used in acoustic guitars before buying wood.

We did a little review on domestic tone-wood   
here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686212/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #6,553 of 8,992
Thanks, I'll start reading the thread. As for the drill press, I'll have to prove I'm not a complete klutz around tools before getting access.

*chuckle* I started with a drill press. It's safer than just a drill and hole saws. I have a reputation for hurting myself with tools, but a few months with the press and before I knew it I had a large and was using that instead...it's REALLY fun to make your own.

DIY or die

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #6,554 of 8,992
*chuckle* I started with a drill press. It's safer than just a drill and hole saws. I have a reputation for hurting myself with tools, but a few months with the press and before I knew it I had a large and was using that instead...it's REALLY fun to make your own.

DIY or die

I plan to progress slowly with these cups (very attached to my fingers)- my very first job was for a furniture maker when I was 12/ 13. When I ruined over a dozen chair legs at the bandsaw I was "let go" & haven't touched a tool (for woodworking) since. Really liked being in the shop, though.

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #6,555 of 8,992

I plan to progress slowly with these cups (very attached to my fingers)- my very first job was for a furniture maker when I was 12/ 13. When I ruined over a dozen chair legs at the bandsaw I was "let go" & haven't touched a tool (for woodworking) since. Really liked being in the shop, though.

Sounds familiar...before I got started on making my cups, the last time I was in a woodshop was 7th grade. It wasn't pretty at all. Oddly enough age has (I like to think) enhanced my skills and patience. Once you're all set up its immense fun and very satisfying.

PS: when you are making them, they are NEVER perfect. You know every little spot, nook, mis-measurement and cranny. It can be frustrating in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back