post your grado mods....
Aug 3, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #6,511 of 8,992
I have a question in terms of modding an SR-200 or Sr-300.

Let's say I can land an SR-200 with black star drivers, will I have an HP-1000 on my hands if I simply put the drivers in an aluminum housing?

I love the HP-1000, but the going price is $1500 or so, whereas an SR-200 is around $400 to $500. I don't really care for the lettering and stuff, I just want that sound.

But of course, it's still a very pricey decision.

Any thoughts?

i've never heard either but i've read nothing but good things about them
i have liberated the drivers from several older sets of pink drivers
keep in mind every time you liberate a driver you take a chance on damaging it
the older drivers don't come apart as easily as the newer ones
the solder pads dry out and sometimes pop right off rendering them useless
that being said i dunno if you'll get the sound of an hd1000 but for 500 bucks you'll get a good taste

the blackstar sr200 is still a bargain at $500.00 and a great headphone but imho not a good modding candidate
unless you're really good and want to take the risk the sleeves are out there and you'd probly need a donor sr325

good luck

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #6,512 of 8,992
There was a guy selling aluminum inserts for Grado cups in the forums for $35. 

That guy is actually me. I made the aluminum inserts purely for the magnum v4 as they were supposedly made with full aluminum in mind.

Then it occurred to me that I can use the leftover inserts for other projects, like aluminuming the lower end grados and even the sr200s.

It's going to be an expensive project, but $1500 is more expensive than $500.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #6,513 of 8,992
That guy is actually me. I made the aluminum inserts purely for the magnum v4 as they were supposedly made with full aluminum in mind.

Then it occurred to me that I can use the leftover inserts for other projects, like aluminuming the lower end grados and even the sr200s.

It's going to be an expensive project, but $1500 is more expensive than $500.

hey

i have a set of those haven't used 'em yet
not trying to discourage you just want you to know the risks

how much does the aluminum inner effect the 325 sound?
i have a set of walnut slip-ons but i've been waiting for the right (cheap or broken) 325

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #6,514 of 8,992
I have a question in terms of modding an SR-200 or Sr-300.

Let's say I can land an SR-200 with black star drivers, will I have an HP-1000 on my hands if I simply put the drivers in an aluminum housing?

I love the HP-1000, but the going price is $1500 or so, whereas an SR-200 is around $400 to $500. I don't really care for the lettering and stuff, I just want that sound.

But of course, it's still a very pricey decision.

Any thoughts?

i have an sr200 and a black sr325 both with blackstar drivers. let me tell you that the joe grado drivers are something special. if you get a pair of sr200 keep them the way they are in my opinion. yes the metal chambers (ala the 325) significantly improve the sound but id be hesitant to mess with a pair of sr200s unless u have to. i had to completely disassemble my hp325 for repair and these blackstar drivers are just on another level than modern day john grados. $500 is a steal IMO if that pair is still floating around the for sale forums. for what it's worth ive never heard the gs1k or ps1k

a blackstar driver in a metal enclosure like the 325 is 99% an hp1k from others ive spoken to.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #6,515 of 8,992
i have an sr200 and a black sr325 both with blackstar drivers. let me tell you that the joe grado drivers are something special. if you get a pair of sr200 keep them the way they are in my opinion. yes the metal chambers (ala the 325) significantly improve the sound but id be hesitant to mess with a pair of sr200s unless u have to. i had to completely disassemble my hp325 for repair and these blackstar drivers are just on another level than modern day john grados. $500 is a steal IMO if that pair is still floating around the for sale forums. for what it's worth ive never heard the gs1k or ps1k

a blackstar driver in a metal enclosure like the 325 is 99% an hp1k from others ive spoken to.

good to know
i have a pair of sr200's but not the blackstar version
they're a pink driver without a lotta bass
cool piece of history though

i was heavily criticized on the grado fanclub thread
for destroying vintage headphones for liberating pink drivered sr60's

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #6,517 of 8,992

What I always say is....you can't criticize a guy for having a woody. 

beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #6,518 of 8,992
good to know
i have a pair of sr200's but not the blackstar version
they're a pink driver without a lotta bass
cool piece of history though

i was heavily criticized on the grado fanclub thread
for destroying vintage headphones for liberating pink drivered sr60's

LMAO...three pairs of pinks have fallen prey to me. Feel no shame. DIY OR DIE.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #6,519 of 8,992
Thanks guys for the responses, I guess it may be better off for me either hunting for individual blackstar drivers (seem impossible) or "settle" for the SR200.

But I will always have that itch to get the HP1000, which is probably never going to happen given it's price tag.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #6,520 of 8,992
  Thanks guys for the responses, I guess it may be better off for me either hunting for individual blackstar drivers (seem impossible) or "settle" for the SR200.

But I will always have that itch to get the HP1000, which is probably never going to happen given it's price tag.

I feel your pain...I would love to have a pair as well, I just know it would never be fiscally responsible to do with my mortgage, wife and kid in the background. I am thinking of getting some RS1, but even those make me sweat a little...

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #6,523 of 8,992
Well, got confirmation of my Cups being sent from 7Keys, but seeing as I haven't got them yet, I'll post a image of my first Mod . . . Can you see it ??

And the addiction starts !!!!
evil_smiley.gif

gs1000.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back