post your grado mods....
Jun 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #6,392 of 8,987

My Grado cups "swivel" far too easily.
Is there an easy way to make them a bit more "stiff"?
Does anyone else experience this issue? 
It's on a pair of SR80i, for reference. 

Neither the O-rings or the shaft collars (both 1/8") will prevent the cups from swiveling.
I've been using these on all of my Grados for a while now. O-ring on first to protect the plastic rod blocks from scoring, then the shaft collars on top of the O-ring for adjustment height…they will prevent the cups from sliding down and losing your adjustment height only, and do an excellent job!

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #6,393 of 8,987

Those are nice, I like the black stripe.

Is that a pono back there?

'Tis indeed a Pono...well spotted. I am really liking it. Bad battery life compared to my X5, but sounds fantastic.

Does it have enough power for your Fostex T50RP's? 
I'm thinking of buying one when it comes to Canada, you think it's a good buy?

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #6,394 of 8,987
  My Grado cups "swivel" far too easily.
Is there an easy way to make them a bit more "stiff"?
Does anyone else experience this issue? 
It's on a pair of SR80i, for reference. 

Terribly sorry…I only use these on the top of my rods blocks for height adjustment because I never let my cups swivel, but I now see that your using them on the top/bottom of the rods creating pressure on the rod blocks with the O-rings which will create good friction and will help with the swivel. Once again, my apologies.
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #6,395 of 8,987
Does it have enough power for your Fostex T50RP's? 
I'm thinking of buying one when it comes to Canada, you think it's a good buy?

Sadly I haven't tested a pair of T50rp with it yet. Someone snagged my last pair just before it arrived. I have some drivers and a headband assembly on hand, I just need to find time to put them together and make a new build. I have been using a pair of those VE Zen earbuds (320 ohm) and a pair of Sennheiser HD650 (300 ohms) with it though, and it drives them quite effortlessly. The Fostex are way lower than that, so I am assuming they will be fine.

Apart from the battery life being pretty short (8 hours) and this clearly being their first stab at firmware, it sounds brilliant to my ears. I was going to buy it, try it and sell it between selling old X5 and getting the new X5ii...now I am not so sure....I am on the X5ii tour, so I should be able to do a head to head comparison this week.

The MS1i woodies sound great through it too. Bass is deep and effortless (perhaps a little woolly compared the the Zen and the HD650). Detail is gorgeous.

I noticed the drivers have two holes opened by default. Is this part of the new "e" series design or have MS1 drivers always been vented? Never noticed before...

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #6,396 of 8,987
I noticed the drivers have two holes opened by default. Is this part of the new "e" series design or have MS1 drivers always been vented? Never noticed before...

part of the new e series. I had an old pair of sr80 with a busted driver, I sent them to grado for repairs and came back with that type of drivers with holes already there, they sounded great!

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #6,397 of 8,987
part of the new e series. I had an old pair of sr80 with a busted driver, I sent them to grado for repairs and came back with that type of drivers with holes already there, they sounded great!

Ah! I thought as much...I was never a huge fan of venting, but these sound great in wood. Stock something felt off about them, but that could just be my ears after all the time I have been spending with T50rp builds, the Sen and the HD650...

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #6,399 of 8,987
oh they really sounded good compared to x5? i've read the news saying they're all just hype, im actually curious....

Well worth a listen in my humble opinion. Note, most of the nay-sayers are not the folks you usually see reviewing good portable audio gear. Look up Tyll Hertsen's write-up on Inner Fidelity...

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #6,400 of 8,987

oh they really sounded good compared to x5? i've read the news saying they're all just hype, im actually curious....

Well worth a listen in my humble opinion. Note, most of the nay-sayers are not the folks you usually see reviewing good portable audio gear. Look up Tyll Hertsen's write-up on Inner Fidelity...

What kind of files were you using?

Tyll says
Submitted by Tyll Hertsens on March 27, 2015 - 6:10am

Unfortunately all my test tracks that I've regularly used for 20 years are 16/44.1, so I did all the blind listening tests between gear at 16/44.1. I'll have to edit the article to add that soon, sorry. I did listen to a number of hi-res tracks in casual listening and heard the type of things I always do---smoother, more organic, more pleasing/less annoying than 16/44.1, but by objectively subtle amounts.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #6,401 of 8,987
What kind of files were you using?

Tyll says
Submitted by Tyll Hertsens on March 27, 2015 - 6:10am

[COLOR=333333]

Unfortunately all my test tracks that I've regularly used for 20 years are 16/44.1, so I did all the blind listening tests between gear at 16/44.1. I'll have to edit the article to add that soon, sorry. I did listen to a number of hi-res tracks in casual listening and heard the type of things I always do---smoother, more organic, more pleasing/less annoying than 16/44.1, but by objectively subtle amounts.

[/COLOR]

I use mostly 16/44 FLAC. I have some high res, not much though.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #6,402 of 8,987
my custom gimbal , not finished yet. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #6,404 of 8,987
I love all these mods, and have read through a few of the 400+ pages.
I just really would love when people posted their creations, that they listed the likes of the, where they got their wires, and gimbals, and cups, by way of links. It would make it so much easier.

Was also wondering, if anyone had dimensions, of the Grado cups from, the 60's all the way up ? Like a CAD sheet or the likes. My Chippy is coming into some Zebrano Wook that will give a Striped look like this 
 and I would love to have the measurements to give him. I'm looking at buying the 60s and modding them, being my first mod. Is there anything like this in these 400+ pages ?? I remember seeing something when I first joined, but for the life of me I got no idea where it is. . .

Cheers

TM

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #6,405 of 8,987
I love all these mods, and have read through a few of the 400+ pages.
I just really would love when people posted their creations, that they listed the likes of the, where they got their wires, and gimbals, and cups, by way of links. It would make it so much easier.

Was also wondering, if anyone had dimensions, of the Grado cups from, the 60's all the way up ? Like a CAD sheet or the likes. My Chippy is coming into some Zebrano Wook that will give a Striped look like this 

and I would love to have the measurements to give him. I'm looking at buying the 60s and modding them, being my first mod. Is there anything like this in these 400+ pages ?? I remember seeing something when I first joined, but for the life of me I got no idea where it is. . .

Cheers

TM

yes, i do believe what ypure looking for exists somewhere in the forums here. ill do some digging for ya but i wouldnt be surprised if someone here knows or remembers who it was in the meantime. that wood is beautiful btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back