post your grado mods....
Apr 2, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #6,181 of 8,992
If you don't mind, would you report back on a price to have the cups anodized please? I'm  interested in anodizing my PS1K's someday, I never really liked the Chrome finish.
Thanks!

The guy said there's usually a minimum charge of $65, and to do the cups and gimbal assembly was a good amount under the weight for the minimum charge. So he got me a deal at $45

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #6,182 of 8,992
The guy said there's usually a minimum charge of $65, and to do the cups and gimbal assembly was a good amount under the weight for the minimum charge. So he got me a deal at $45

So this is the company in Paterson N.J. correct?
Thats a great price if you ask me. What color are you going to anodize the cups?
Also, I would love to see some photos when there finished.
Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #6,184 of 8,992
  So this is the company in Paterson N.J. correct?
Thats a great price if you ask me. What color are you going to anodize the cups?
Also, I would love to see some photos when there finished.
Thanks.
beerchug.gif

This is a place in SLC, Utah :/ I haven't decided on the color yet because he told me that they could do about anything... too many options lol

There are a couple places in Paterson though, TRB is one of them - http://www.trbandarn.com/Anodizing.php
There's one in Linden close to where I was at if you're interested as well.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #6,185 of 8,992
  This is a place in SLC, Utah :/ I haven't decided on the color yet because he told me that they could do about anything... too many options lol

There are a couple places in Paterson though, TRB is one of them - http://www.trbandarn.com/Anodizing.php 

Thank you, and don't forget to post some photos…can't wait too see them!

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #6,186 of 8,992
[quote="White]
First time in a long while that I've had a "woaaaah" moment from a pair of headphones.

Absolutely loving these.

G-cush pads are incredible. If anyone is on the fence about getting some - just do it.
[/quote]

Nicely done! I bought a pair of third party (EarZonk) Gs a while back and used them for a few months, but I didn't love the sound with the SR80i drivers, so I retired them. What drivers are you using?

The comfort was ridiculous though. Just. Ridiculous.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #6,187 of 8,992
Nicely done! I bought a pair of third party (EarZonk) Gs a while back and used them for a few months, but I didn't love the sound with the SR80i drivers, so I retired them. What drivers are you using?

The comfort was ridiculous though. Just. Ridiculous.

i use them with my 225i and they sound good not much of a change and a bigger soundstage
tried them with my sr80's and they seemed to kill some of the bass and soundstage is smaller
wicked comfortable, worth the 20 bucks for the 225's

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #6,189 of 8,992
This thread was what helped me turn the corner and purchase my first pair of Grados. I bought the SR80e because I knew I would want to tinker around with them. I gave them 40 hrs of playing interminably then I ordered three types of pads. I then got out the heat gun and poked four holes ( why not). The pads and extra venting helped make the sound more like I wanted. I have a small mill with a rotary table. I am experimenting with the best way for me to make wooden cups. I should have my first pair this weekend. You guys have truelly inspired me.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #6,191 of 8,992
...haven't made Grado cups in a little while...finished these this morning. Mahogany, with a few coats of wax for finish. No hole saws or drill press this time, everything was done on the lathe:

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #6,194 of 8,992
Grado fans I am going to let you into a little secret/tip to get the most out of your Grados.

Every now and then you might like to try this.

Place your thumb and index finger over the vent chamber ; do each channel (L and R) one at at time and blow gently into the vent chamber with your mouth. Try to make a good seal.
If you do it correctly you will hear a slight click (in and then out) of the diaphragm and then when you listen to them you will hear magic and equality between L and R channel.

I recommend doing this  once a month or more if you rarely use your headphones.
Somehow it allows more flex to the diaphragm but also I have found better equality between the channels and sound-stage is more centered and sound is flatter more neutral.
YMMV but happy to let every Grado fan into this secret :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #6,195 of 8,992
  Grado fans I am going to let you into a little secret/tip to get the most out of your Grados.

Every now and then you might like to try this.

Place your thumb and index finger over the vent chamber ; do each channel (L and R) one at at time and blow gently into the vent chamber with your mouth. Try to make a good seal.
If you do it correctly you will hear a slight click (in and then out) of the diaphragm and then when you listen to them you will hear magic and equality between L and R channel.

I recommend doing this  once a month or more if you rarely use your headphones.
Somehow it allows more flex to the diaphragm but also I have found better equality between the channels and sound-stage is more centered and sound is flatter more neutral.
YMMV but happy to let every Grado fan into this secret :)

So you're blowing into and pressurizing the drivers?  That sounds a bit risky.  As clutzy as I already am, I don't think I'll be doing this any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back