post your grado mods....
Oct 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #5,461 of 8,987
Deleted did the quote wrong on mobile

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #5,462 of 8,987
Question: I just put a pair of EarZonk's G-cushes on my SR80is (modded with amazing Ebony cans from 7keys) and omg they are so comfortable. I am, however, having problems.

As a baseline, I usually use quartermodded S-cushes.

The G-cushes are amazing and are reducing the physical strain of wearing headphones for a long time, but oh my god, those highs are unbearable. Way too punchy and tizzy. 

So I'm thinking of swapping to the L-cushes, but... since I live in Canada and they're bloody expensive here... I must know a few things. Are they significantly more comfortable than the S-cushes? Cause I'm quite happy with the performance of my quartermodded S-cushes and I can cope with the comfort drain for a few hours at a time... I just can't leave them all through an entire workday.

And.... is there any way of modding my G-cushes (now that I have them) to rein in those highs? They're absolutely brutal.

EDIT: Temporarily fixed with EQ. Just tuned my 16k ranges down a bit, and the rest of the vocal ranges down a bit as well slightly. Nothing too far off baseline. But enough to avoid those horrible hissy highs. Still not quite the same sound as the S-cushes, some more fine tuning may be necessary, but the comfort, oh my god.

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #5,463 of 8,987
So I'm thinking of swapping to the L-cushes, but... since I live in Canada and they're bloody expensive here... I must know a few things. Are they significantly more comfortable than the S-cushes? Cause I'm quite happy with the performance of my quartermodded S-cushes and I can cope with the comfort drain for a few hours at a time... I just can't leave them all through an entire workday.

I'd say people generaly report them as significantly less comfortable than the S-cushes.  They are still on-ear (unless you have very small ears) and the part that rests on your ear is made from a much firmer, scratchier foam than the S-cush. So, you have a combination of a harsher material and the contact pressure concentrated onto smaller areas of your skin.

Howvever, some people (myself included) find them more comfortable! Plus, the sound (IMHO) is way better.

The only real way to know if they'll be more or less comfortable for you is to try them ...

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #5,464 of 8,987

And.... is there any way of modding my G-cushes (now that I have them) to rein in those highs? They're absolutely brutal.

I found that if you put some leather on the inside of the bowl cumming up about an inch it will increase the bass significantly. Also covering the outside of the bowls with leather will increase the bass somewhat. 

You really should get some L-cush pads.

These are way better than the EarZonk L-cush pads 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/L-Cush-Foam-Replacement-Cushion-For-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-GS-1000i-Headphone-/261483385447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item3ce19fd267&_uhb=1

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5,465 of 8,987

I found that if you put some leather on the inside of the bowl cumming up about an inch it will increase the bass significantly. Also covering the outside of the bowls with leather will increase the bass somewhat. 

You really should get some L-cush pads.

These are way better than the EarZonk L-cush pads 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/L-Cush-Foam-Replacement-Cushion-For-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-GS-1000i-Headphone-/261483385447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item3ce19fd267&_uhb=1

Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into picking up a pair of L-cushes. Thanks for the ebay link 7keys, I wasn't relishing dropping $40 on Amazon for the genuine article.

And I'll definitely look into getting some scrap leather to play with on the Gs... I do still want to sort out a circumaural solution for the sake of my ears. =D And no point not modding the Gs, now that I have them. The comfort really is unreal. I was having some success with putting a thin layer of foam over the driver (the punchouts from my S-cushes). I'll play around and tweak till I'm happy. =)

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #5,466 of 8,987
Anybody know where I can get some aluminum gimbals? The left side if my PS500 separated from the headband. I thought about gluing the end of the head band back in, but I'd rather go with new aluminum if possible.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #5,468 of 8,987
Anybody know where I can get some aluminum gimbals? The left side if my PS500 separated from the headband. I thought about gluing the end of the head band back in, but I'd rather go with new aluminum if possible.

Email Grado and they'll send you a replacement gimbal.
For the metal ones, Martin Custom Audio as mentioned above.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #5,469 of 8,987
Le compré los grado sr225i a un conocido, y me los vendió con las almohadillas de los PS1000, y realmente no me gustaba como sonaban, así que me fabriqué un par de almohadillas y modifiqué las de los ps1000 (solo las recubrí con tela de algodón ajustándolas un poco para disminuir la distancia entre el driver y el oído)... Suenan mucho mejor que antes!!

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #5,470 of 8,987
GabiArias Interesante. Cuáles características del sondio cambiaron con las almohadillas modificadas?

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #5,471 of 8,987
@Kamakahah cuando modifiqué las almohadillas de los ps1000 (ya que no venían con las almohadillas originales. En algún momento las compraré) lo primero que busqué fue acercar más el driver al oído, pues por el tamaño de las almohadillas el oído quedaba a una distancia en la que se asemejaba a high pass filter en 300 ó 350hz, le faltaba cuerpo al sonido, no había suficiente claridad en los medios, y ante esta ausencia, los agudos parecían incisivos. Me dí cuenta que debía modificarlos cuando ajusté los auriculares un poco más cerca presionándolos hacia mis oídos, entonces ahí cambió todo y vi una esperanza. Lo que hice fue envolver las almohadillas disminuyendo el grosor. Ahora el sonido es muy consistente, parejo y muy agradable. La modificación no afectó negativamente las almohadillas puesto que solo están comprimidas con tela de algodón. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #5,472 of 8,987
GabiArias Gracias por los detalles. En el futuro, experimentaré con cuero y espuma de memoria. Pienso que tela de algodón ayudará reducir el sudor un poco.

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #5,473 of 8,987
Email Grado and they'll send you a replacement gimbal.
For the metal ones, Martin Custom Audio as mentioned above.

I probably will. I don't want to go back to the plastic gimbals if I don't have to. I love the PS500's but this has happened twice once with 325s and now the 500s. They're good pretty good about warranty issues. If I can't find any by the end of the week I'll call them.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #5,475 of 8,987
OK... My first Grado mod... It took a while, but I think it came out superb! 

1. Custom Cups
    1. Lignum Vitae Wood
    2. Brass mesh
  2. Custom Head Band 
    1. genuine leather
    2. with laser engravings
    3. 7 Different ones made until i was satisfied with the final result
  3. After Market Jack
    1. gold platted
    2. with screw on 1/4" connector
  4. Cable Mods
    1. original Grado cable shorten by about 40cm
    2. expandable sleeving PET in black
    3. heat shrink to make it neat
  5. Box
    1. jewelry box from the beginning of the century
    2. outside made with leather
    3. inside refurbished with leather vinyl ( I could have done better job, but never worked with leather before)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back