post your grado mods....
Jul 17, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #5,146 of 8,992
count me in also!
popcorn.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #5,148 of 8,992
Everyone seems to be into the hardest of the tone-woods these days so I thought I'd try some of the soft woods.
After reading up on softwoods used in Guitar construction I decided to try western red Ceder. This used as a top wood in many classical guitars.  

And if you store your headphones in the drawer with your sweaters it will keep the moths away and smells nice too. Your grandmother would love a pair of these. 
smile.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #5,149 of 8,992
Some of my favorites were Limba and Olive wood, just in case you're looking for more turning in the future. These Grado drivers are really cool for these experiments, maybe due to the fact that they are tuned by ear.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #5,150 of 8,992
Everyone seems to be into the hardest of the tone-woods these days so I thought I'd try some of the soft woods.
After reading up on softwoods used in Guitar construction I decided to try western red Ceder. This used as a top wood in many classical guitars.  

Nice! How do they sound? I am still enamored of Lignum Vitae...I have a hankering to try Limba though.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #5,152 of 8,992
I haven't tried them yet as they're not quite finished. 

I find Black Limba to be a lot like black Cherry in sound.

Did you get the Woodied PX100ii's yet?

Sadly no. I expected them yesterday, but the tracking number says out for delivery today...probably better that I spend a little time with my Magnums again before picking them up. Been away since last Saturday for work, and listening to IEMs and earbuds...

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #5,153 of 8,992

And if you store your headphones in the drawer with your sweaters it will keep the moths away and smells nice too. Your grandmother would love a pair of these. 
smile.gif

F'n Gorgeous man! I bet those are gonna sound good!

Is there any way to get in on the Woodied PX 100-ii tour? I would love to compare them against my build. I would be willing in turn to ship my pair around as well. I was thinking about sending them for fleasbaby since he should be getting your pair today. I would like to hear other people's thoughts on my pair as well.

What are you using for your mesh? I haven't been able to locate any tight black mesh yet. The mesh I've used on my GS225i build was a black letter carrier. The mesh is much wider than I prefer. The mesh that came in my spralted tamarind cups is much tighter.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #5,154 of 8,992
Of course you can join in I think the requirement is going to be two year headfi membership and a thousand posts, and a note from your mother. There are a few members ahead of you.

I used a pencil holder I bought at the dollar store for screens. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #5,158 of 8,992
Veteran Noob here.

It's been a while since I've posted, but I ran into some issues modding my SR-225i. Just purchased some rosewood cups and a new cable, to switch out my cocobolo aluminum hybrid cups and stock 225i Grado cable. I'm not sure if I've been tampering with the drivers to the point of destroying them or if I've just downgraded materials, but one of my drivers is less audible than the other and lacks tremendous amount of bass now.

Is it possible that I've fried my driver while recabling? Another thing I've noticed is that my cans sound horrible when I run them out of my audio interface now, they're very distorted, until I EQ them with VLC player, but even then they don't sound how they user tol My drivers are liberated with the punched out hole mod that now sit in the rosewood cups along with the new cable.

Can anyone chime in? :rolleyes:

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #5,159 of 8,992
Veteran Noob here.

It's been a while since I've posted, but I ran into some issues modding my SR-225i. Just purchased some rosewood cups and a new cable, to switch out my cocobolo aluminum hybrid cups and stock 225i Grado cable. I'm not sure if I've been tampering with the drivers to the point of destroying them or if I've just downgraded materials, but one of my drivers is less audible than the other and lacks tremendous amount of bass now.

Is it possible that I've fried my driver while recabling? Another thing I've noticed is that my cans sound horrible when I run them out of my audio interface now, they're very distorted, until I EQ them with VLC player, but even then they don't sound how they user tol My drivers are liberated with the punched out hole mod that now sit in the rosewood cups along with the new cable.

Can anyone chime in?
rolleyes.gif

Its possible you damaged them somehow, but first I would check for cold solder. A bad solder joint could explain one driver being less audible, however them being more distorted to the point where you need to EQ sounds like you pierced the diaphragm when you did the punched out hole mod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back