post your grado mods....
Jul 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,131 of 8,992
Beleza! As the Brazilians say....nicely done sir :). I have always thought the 225i responds well to wood.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #5,134 of 8,992
  Who is still making wooden shells for the Grados? I'm trying to not spend too much money but I'm willing to pay for quality obviously. Thanks guys!

http://www.vibrolabs.com/products/vibro-classic-cup

https://www.etsy.com/shop/YewWoodworks

http://www.martincustomaudio.com/

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #5,135 of 8,992
Is there any other material, a part from wood, that might improve the 225 sound?
I'm just asking because I'm quite happy with the "plastic" cans in terms of lightweight (I have the 80 and fingers crossed shortly the 225) .....is there some lightweight alternative?

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #5,136 of 8,992
Believe it or not, the wood cups are pretty light. Depending on design and wood used obviously. My GS225i are a little heavier than my SennGrados, but then again the wood was heavier and the cups on the GS225i are bigger. But honestly the weight is so much more noticeable than the original plastic cups.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #5,138 of 8,992
Some time ago we played a lot with damping (the original mod thread that got blocked) and it didn't affect the sound - we rolled loads of different woods... Damping the driver may or may not produce some tweaking of the sound. Wood type and treatment does play with timbre a bit.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #5,139 of 8,992
So I finally found a machinist around my area that would do CNC machining.  The problem is that there is a minimum charge of $165, and given that I only want to make a set of sleeves, $165 is really pricey.

However, the prices drop significantly once volume comes into play, and it goes to a minimum of $10 each for 100 pieces (I would need 2 pieces, so $20).  I haven't quoted them for the exact match, but I would imagine it wouldn't be overly expensive to get these sleeves (not the cups, just an aluminum sleeve) if there is enough volume.

Would anybody here be interested in getting aluminum sleeves?  I am thinking of installing Magnum v4 drivers (still looking for them), but I would imagine 60, 80, 125 and 225 would benefit as well.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #5,140 of 8,992
So I finally found a machinist around my area that would do CNC machining.  The problem is that there is a minimum charge of $165, and given that I only want to make a set of sleeves, $165 is really pricey.

However, the prices drop significantly once volume comes into play, and it goes to a minimum of $10 each for 100 pieces (I would need 2 pieces, so $20).  I haven't quoted them for the exact match, but I would imagine it wouldn't be overly expensive to get these sleeves (not the cups, just an aluminum sleeve) if there is enough volume.

Would anybody here be interested in getting aluminum sleeves?  I am thinking of installing Magnum v4 drivers (still looking for them), but I would imagine 60, 80, 125 and 225 would benefit as well.

Count me in!

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #5,142 of 8,992
Sorry guys, it may not be $20, they are just saying $10 per piece minimum.  I am not sure how much it will come out to, and I will post the price here once I get the quotes.

Another thing that can help me is to get a precise drawing of the sleeve (can also provide the drawings for the cups as well, just so that I can get two quotes).  I have a plastic sleeve and a metal cup sitting around that I can just send in, but I'd rather email them a PDF file so that I don't have to physically drop those things off and run the risk of them being crushed or lost.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #5,144 of 8,992
  Sorry guys, it may not be $20, they are just saying $10 per piece minimum.  I am not sure how much it will come out to, and I will post the price here once I get the quotes.

Another thing that can help me is to get a precise drawing of the sleeve (can also provide the drawings for the cups as well, just so that I can get two quotes).  I have a plastic sleeve and a metal cup sitting around that I can just send in, but I'd rather email them a PDF file so that I don't have to physically drop those things off and run the risk of them being crushed or lost.

No worries...$20 is a steal if we can hustle up enough folks...but that's best case scenario. I wish I had an accurate drawing, but all the sleeves I have in wood were done by giving Jim some old plastic cups and sleeves and letting him experiment...

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #5,145 of 8,992
There are literally no designs, because it would just simply be a metal sleeve itself.  I may think of getting a sleeve plus cup idea, similar to those HP1000 layouts, where there will be two/four screw holes to hold the drivers in place on the sleeves, then then an aluminum cup on top of them.  That said, the screws will have to sit flush and I will just have to find the right screws for this purpose.

I will try to source to web if there are any precise drawings, because I am no engineer myself, but if any one of you has one, that would save a lot of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back