post your grado mods....
Jan 11, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #4,562 of 8,992
  I've been working on tweaking a pair of Padauk cups for a bit of a different appearance.  My goal was to get a finish applied that would take the wood tone a bit further away from the standard reddish / orangeish finish.  I sanded out the cups to remove the wax that had been applied for the purpose of finishing up the cups after cutting them on a lathe. With this pair of cups, I actually used about 5 coats of a dark Mission stain that came in the form of the Polyshades brand which included a satin poly mixed into the same can.  Between coats, I would take down the finish to smooth out any imperfections created by applying the finish.

I feel that I was able to achieve what I set out to do as my goal.  I have a pair of cups that is quite visually pleasing to me.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #4,565 of 8,992
Guinea pig pair of aluminum gimbles on my experiment set of Sr-60 cans. Rings are aluminum, rods are steel with stainless cup pins.

And these are for a fan of my work.

Those look great. How did you make them?

Also I should be getting a beta stage print from the 3D printer tomorrow! Expect some bright red plastic cups amongst the wood and aluminum!

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #4,566 of 8,992
I source the appropriet size of 1/4" wall pipe and cut it to 1/4" rings with a 14" metal saw. That's the hard part, keeping the entire cut straight without it coming out angled, easier with longer sections of pipe.

Next I setup the drill press table to drill the rod hole at the same angle as grado has theirs. Then its just a mattter of lining up cup mounting pin holes and drilling them straight through, also on the press, and about two hours of progressive sanding from 100 to 800 grit to remove imperfections and finishing with aluminum mag polishing compound.

Cup pins are 1/8 rod material of choice cut so that 1/8" peptides out the size of the ring once installed.

I can get a pair done a day, but I did three sets in 8 days using all of my spare time.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #4,567 of 8,992
Guinea pig pair of aluminum gimbles on my experiment set of Sr-60 cans. Rings are aluminum, rods are steel with stainless cup pins.

Nice work!

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,568 of 8,992
Joining the club with some SR60 (not SR60i) I got off ebay. Recabled with a German Maestro cable until I get some better cable (soon), 4 vents open on the back of the driver, sanded the paint off the lettering, dynamat on the back of the driver, quarter modded, white fabric covering the grill off and i took the back grills off, but didn't have any mesh to replace it with (soon as well) so I used some old thin PX100 pads, cut down to size.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #4,571 of 8,992
  I already talked to kopral21 to make B&W ebony cups and wanna try the px100II drivers inside. For now the whole idea is just in progress.   

hai there...

this my first atempt making black Ebony  cups design the inner cup. 

right now i,am still working group buy maple cup for some grado head in my country and making vented cup. hope next week all can be done .

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #4,573 of 8,992
  That's excellent to hear! They look awesome to be honest. Keep me posted

this group buy make me tired.. making 20 set cup in 10 days. and this some finished cup :D

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,574 of 8,992
I uncovered the holes on the driver that were covered in the picture above. After looking at other peoples which have the holes uncovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back