post your grado mods....
Jan 2, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #4,546 of 8,992
Since the electrical tape mod adds a lot of bass to the L-cush pads, has anyone ever tried to apply some kind of damping layer to the G-cush pads?  I was thinking about something like that liquid dip rubber, painted onto the outside (or maybe the inside) of the G-cush bowls.  Would this provide a similar effect as the electrical tape on the L-cush?

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #4,547 of 8,992
I'm looking to make a set of custom woodies with the Turbulent X drivers, wondering if anyone happens to know of a good (under say $50) set of donor headphones. Preferably something comfortable that will accommodate grado cups, with metal gimbals and mounting hardware.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #4,548 of 8,992
I've been working on tweaking a pair of Padauk cups for a bit of a different appearance.  My goal was to get a finish applied that would take the wood tone a bit further away from the standard reddish / orangeish finish.  I sanded out the cups to remove the wax that had been applied for the purpose of finishing up the cups after cutting them on a lathe. With this pair of cups, I actually used about 5 coats of a dark Mission stain that came in the form of the Polyshades brand which included a satin poly mixed into the same can.  Between coats, I would take down the finish to smooth out any imperfections created by applying the finish.

I feel that I was able to achieve what I set out to do as my goal.  I have a pair of cups that is quite visually pleasing to me.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #4,549 of 8,992
Nicely done wje...I always feel intimidated by the depth of the red on Paduak...you've done a very nice job of changing it though.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #4,550 of 8,992
Jim turned these for me to experiment with. So far I have popped a pair of SR60 drivers in them, just to hear what happens.

The sound wasn't very pretty at all...rather echoey and flat. Next step will be to try leather pads and maybe expand the center hole. Seeing close-ups of the Bushmills Grados, in picked Grado had not been shy at all with the size of their vents...

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #4,551 of 8,992
If I understood theLostInTheMidrage making a hole in the center wouldn't do much if anything at all. I think venting them from sides (top of the cup) must have been tried for bushmills because anything else didn't work.
I'm just guessing and I'm not audiophile :)

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #4,552 of 8,992
Jim turned these for me to experiment with. So far I have popped a pair of SR60 drivers in them, just to hear what happens.

The sound wasn't very pretty at all...rather echoey and flat. Next step will be to try leather pads and maybe expand the center hole. Seeing close-ups of the Bushmills Grados, in picked Grado had not been shy at all with the size of their vents...

They sure look nice you need to put some Koss drivers in those.

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #4,553 of 8,992
Thank you kindly sir...I think that's what will end up happening...I plan to have a pair with no vents made from Paduak for myself :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #4,554 of 8,992

It's a nice start.  Considering it's the first cut, one can always experience issues which are the revised and refined as time goes along.

If you check out the insides of such headphone as the Thunderpants and others, too, felt has been utilized inside of the cups.  I'm sure it might have been there to cut down on the sound from bouncing.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #4,555 of 8,992
Thanks wje, I think a trip to the craft store is in order today...was planning to go with my daughter anyway.

From my brief stint buggering around with Fostex T50 mods, I was thinking cotton in there might help too...

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #4,556 of 8,992
Oh dear...the ear zonk G Cush are out of stock on Amazon...anyone know how long they have been unavailable?

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #4,558 of 8,992
This might look pretty normal to you but I bought a set of chromed aluminum cups, got a black mesh like the 325i and replaced the plastic cups from my sr60i.  
Edit: the sound is more or less the same, the bass presentation is weaker/softer and the treble less sparkly, I assume it's entirely psychological, but right now I can't really tell. To be honest I think the plastic cups sound a bit better. Anyway I'm really happy with them!

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #4,559 of 8,992
Nicely done! Next step, wooden sleeves for the SR60 drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back