post your grado mods....
Nov 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,413 of 8,992
Beautiful! The bowl shape at the grill is different and looks good. :)

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4,416 of 8,992
The darker colored mushroom head ones are my favorite :) beautiful work there :)

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4,417 of 8,992

I wanted to make a set of cups out of this wood to test; I’m waiting on the drivers to arrive in the mail.
 I won’t be making more except if we do an exotic hard wood review next year I might put a Lapacho set in with the mix.

Here is what the Tonewood Data Source says about this Tone- wood.
Lapacho
Round basses and very clear trebles, competes with Brazilian rosewood when it comes to punch and definition of voices. Superb tap tone and a collectible since only a few Lapacho guitars have ever been built. The wood is incredibly hard but the luthier is filled with pride when he hears the sound of the finished instrument. It is simply stunning.
Its dust can cause a number of respiratory and contact dermatitis allergic reactions in humans,an amazing wood, but no sense in risking your health!

Lapachois one of the hardest woods on the planet,almost 3x harder than Oak. It has a fire rating of A1 (the highest possible, the same as concrete), and is denser than water (it sinks).  It’s recommended that you use name brand carbide tipped tools, keep edges sharp, and always pre-drill for screws. Have numerous extra drill bits handy.

Janka hardness rating……  Hard Maple (Janka 1450)… Oak (Janka 1360)….Lapacho (Janka 3680)

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #4,419 of 8,992
Had some time before the family woke up this morning, so I finally woodied my SR80 pinks with the Blackwoods I just got...

First impressions, far more controlled, more clarity, tamed highs. Prefer this to the results I got using my 225 pinks in Paduak and my 225i in Mahogany...that could be just the drivers or "new toy" syndrome though. Will give them more time over the weekend, holiday schedule permitting.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4,420 of 8,992
I have a modded SR-80i, and a magnum v3.  Love the sound, and is looking to build a magnum v5.  I have already sourced a set of brand new SR325i aluminum cups, a headband, and cables, the problem I have is that I am having trouble getting the inners that hold on to the drivers and inserted into the cups.  I have a plastic set I bought months earlier, but I am looking to get an aluminum or wooden set without breaking the bank.

Does anybody know where I can get some / willing to make me a set?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,424 of 8,992
wow! nice looking cups you got there ..
what did you use to coat the wood..
i used a few layers of varnish on mine and looks too shiny for my taste..

[COLOR=FF0000]those top woodies are ****** gorgeous....howd you make those???[/COLOR]

you should provide a grado customization service....those look like 2,000 dollar headphones. rich looking

Wait, are you guys talking about mine or intermediete's stuff? His is pretty damn awesome...I have yet to find a decent source for aluminum cups...I really want a pair of PS1000 ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back