post your grado mods....
May 19, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #8,746 of 8,987
I am back! My mod is ready!

I had to redo the wood work quite a few times... somehow I could not get the varnish to shine as I wanted, but the final result is pretty nice. I also made a custom grille to add some style to them. I think the looks are pretty classy. I guess it is not for everyone though, a friend did not like it, my brother did not like it either, but I am happy!

Next steps will be a custom headband and custom earpads. I am way down in the rabbit hole already...

IMG_20200519_093805.jpg

Looks great to me! I especially like that you got to make yourself a custom grill too...very nice. I am curious, what material are you 3D printing with? It looks remarkably real. Usually you can tell "wood" 3D printing is fake.

May 19, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #8,747 of 8,987
Looks great to me! I especially like that you got to make yourself a custom grill too...very nice. I am curious, what material are you 3D printing with? It looks remarkably real. Usually you can tell "wood" 3D printing is fake.

Hey, I really appreciate the feedback, thanks a lot! You are the man behind Wabi Sabi cups, right?

I am using a wood filament by Janbex - http://www.janbex.eu/ - it is regular wood pla. Out of the printer it looks like cardboard to be honest, the finish is what makes it look closer to actual wood. Most of work was put into sanding it (so the layer interfaces are less apparent) and staining it. It is quite tricky to apply wood stain, first because it does not adhere well to the PLA, and second because it will come off easily as soon as I start applying varnish to it. But I also use this last factor to my own benefit, because I can use a brush to put strokes on the surface and make them look like real wood fiber.

May 19, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #8,748 of 8,987
Hey, I really appreciate the feedback, thanks a lot! You are the man behind Wabi Sabi cups, right?

I am using a wood filament by Janbex - http://www.janbex.eu/ - it is regular wood pla. Out of the printer it looks like cardboard to be honest, the finish is what makes it look closer to actual wood. Most of work was put into sanding it (so the layer interfaces are less apparent) and staining it. It is quite tricky to apply wood stain, first because it does not adhere well to the PLA, and second because it will come off easily as soon as I start applying varnish to it. But I also use this last factor to my own benefit, because I can use a brush to put strokes on the surface and make them look like real wood fiber.

Yep, that's me...I'm not getting a 3D printer anytime soon. All my work is done on a lathe, but I am fascinated. All the printed "wooden" cups I have seen look like beige cardboard. So it sounds like your staining process is the secret here. Well done!

May 20, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #8,749 of 8,987
Yep, that's me...I'm not getting a 3D printer anytime soon. All my work is done on a lathe, but I am fascinated. All the printed "wooden" cups I have seen look like beige cardboard. So it sounds like your staining process is the secret here. Well done!

Nice to meet you! If you get one, let me know and I give you some tips. One day I want to try my hands at woodworking but unfortunately I live in an apartment and got no proper space for that...so 3D printing is what I can do now.

May 27, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #8,750 of 8,987
Hi to everybody, I'm new here, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, will move it if necessary.

I have the sr125, got them a couple of years ago and I really love the sound but i don't like the look, I have been looking into buying some mods, I saw this http://www.rholupat.com and they have a nice bundle of cups, gimbals for 130 USD, I would like to know if it would be a good buy, or are there any other options like it for around that price, I cant spend more than 200 USD because of customs in my country, u have no experience in soldering and i don't have any kind of those tools, just basic stuff.

I'm really looking forward to any kind of advice you can give me,

Thank you.

May 28, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #8,751 of 8,987
Hi to everybody, I'm new here, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, will move it if necessary.

I have the sr125, got them a couple of years ago and I really love the sound but i don't like the look, I have been looking into buying some mods, I saw this http://www.rholupat.com and they have a nice bundle of cups, gimbals for 130 USD, I would like to know if it would be a good buy, or are there any other options like it for around that price, I cant spend more than 200 USD because of customs in my country, u have no experience in soldering and i don't have any kind of those tools, just basic stuff.

Thank you.

Ask @fleasbaby he's got very nice cups!

May 28, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #8,752 of 8,987

Thank you.
Ask @fleasbaby he's got very nice cups!

@darius barbus Rholupat does indeed have nice bundles of stuff. The headbands remind me very much of the stuff available on earphonediylabs.com. From my experience the headbands aren't as well padded as the ones by Turbulent Labs, and the gimbals aren't as impressive as those made by Shipibo, but they are a solid starting point if you're on a budget and can't afford top-shelf. Rholupat's cups are nice as well, and I think, unlike me, he does accommodate those who don't want to break out a soldering iron by putting a slot instead of a hole for the cable.

For what it's worth, the best components I see out there right now are the following (and I am NOT in any way affiliated with these guys, this is just what I have come to see over the years as the best that's available to modders and still in production):
  • Turbulent Labs leather headbands
  • Shipibo gimbals and rodblocks
  • Cables by Ted at Headphonelounge or Zynsonix
  • For pads I recommend sticking with Grado's OEM ones.
  • Drivers, its pretty hard to pick between them....the three suppliers to go with right now are:
    • Nhoord
    • Symphones
    • Elleven Acoustica
    • An outlier I need to try but haven't yet: the Turbulent Labs ones...

May 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #8,753 of 8,987
first of all, thanks @homerograco and @fleasbaby for the quick response, really appreciated, sorry if my english isnt the best, really looking forward to mod my grados, for now im just sticking to anything that has nothing to do with soddering, my zero skills and also the country being in total lock down for around 3 month now, is hard to get those tools, but really looking forward to do this mods :) thank you

May 31, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #8,754 of 8,987

@darius barbus Rholupat does indeed have nice bundles of stuff. The headbands remind me very much of the stuff available on earphonediylabs.com. From my experience the headbands aren't as well padded as the ones by Turbulent Labs, and the gimbals aren't as impressive as those made by Shipibo, but they are a solid starting point if you're on a budget and can't afford top-shelf. Rholupat's cups are nice as well, and I think, unlike me, he does accommodate those who don't want to break out a soldering iron by putting a slot instead of a hole for the cable.

For what it's worth, the best components I see out there right now are the following (and I am NOT in any way affiliated with these guys, this is just what I have come to see over the years as the best that's available to modders and still in production):
  • Turbulent Labs leather headbands
  • Shipibo gimbals and rodblocks
  • Cables by Ted at Headphonelounge or Zynsonix
  • For pads I recommend sticking with Grado's OEM ones.
  • Drivers, its pretty hard to pick between them....the three suppliers to go with right now are:
    • Nhoord
    • Symphones
    • Elleven Acoustica
    • An outlier I need to try but haven't yet: the Turbulent Labs ones...
@fleasbaby have you checked out this kit on earphonediylabs.com? I really like the headband color and golden cup and mesh. But not sure how it sounds with different driver units.
DSC_0101-1024x680.jpg

May 31, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #8,755 of 8,987
@fleasbaby have you checked out this kit on earphonediylabs.com? I really like the headband color and golden cup and mesh. But not sure how it sounds with different driver units.
DSC_0101-1024x680.jpg

Yeah! I saw them this morning actually. I've worked on two pairs of the prior dark version for folks. The finish on those was a little fragile, but I've chatted to earphoneDIYlabs a little, and they advised they were working on a more durable finish. Hopefully this is it!

May 31, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #8,756 of 8,987
Yeah! I saw them this morning actually. I've worked on two pairs of the prior dark version for folks. The finish on those was a little fragile, but I've chatted to earphoneDIYlabs a little, and they advised they were working on a more durable finish. Hopefully this is it!
Super! Can't wait to see them :)

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #8,757 of 8,987
Hey All,

I am just recently back into my Grado's. I took a hiatus but after buying a pair of SR80e and RS1 I am back in love. In fact since getting them in my Sundara and HD6xx are looking longingly at me, desperate not to go on the marketplace haha.

I must say there are some amazing mods on here and some amazing craftmanship.
Here is a picture of my Grado's with some cups 7Keys made back when.

After listening to my SR80e today I think I might have to try source a pair of cups for them too!!

6374018.jpg
6374544.jpg

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #8,758 of 8,987
Is there a Thread or Link for a SR325e mod? I don't like the cable. I want to change it and go Balanced. A Lighter, Thinner, more Flexible cable. Also, the ear cups are stiff and scratchy. I haven't used these cans in over a year because of this. I'm at the Mod or Sell point with them.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #8,759 of 8,987
Is there a Thread or Link for a SR325e mod? I don't like the cable. I want to change it and go Balanced. A Lighter, Thinner, more Flexible cable. Also, the ear cups are stiff and scratchy. I haven't used these cans in over a year because of this. I'm at the Mod or Sell point with them.

Pad mods are tricky. You could try switching to G-Cush, but those are the same material, just less direct contact with your ears...cable switches are easier. Buy a third-party cable and look at opening them up and replacing it yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron. Otherwise there are some folks out there that do the job for you...

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #8,760 of 8,987
Screenshot_20200614-134029_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back