post your grado mods....
Jan 28, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #8,536 of 8,987
I've tried the magnets and to me it does not have the same effect as dynamat which is also different from sorbothane.

When I tried the magnets they had no effect on the sound to me, maybe I didn't use enough or they were too small (10mm), only used 4 magnets, 2 each side

Dynamat seems to affect mids to lower frequency mostly, I usually use a 10-12mm strip around the cups, I've also lined the edge of any open vent holes, using dynamat extreme

Sorbothane seems to affect all frequencies by getting rid of unwanted vibrations, have had better results with duro 70 (.125) on back of magnet housing but for my HE400 and SR009 the duro 50 has better results to me.
I appreciate the input....I have had good results with magnets before, but I agree with you, it didn't seem to have much effect on the Grados. I have tried sorb in the past, didn't see much effect, but I also wasn't super patient about trying out a million different combinations. For some reason the one area of headphone tuning I do not enjoy is damping...it's probably my ADD, but taking them apart, damping, reassembly, listen...aaaand then taking them apart again gets old really quickly for me. That's why swapping out the cups appeals to me, the solid aluminum cups takes care of the damping itself. I very strongly believe that resonances in the cups is an area that manufacturers neglect in their lower line headphones, which causes the cheaper headphones to sound cheaper.
It's really interesting actually...I mean, something as simple as an IEM like the KZ ZSA which has an all aluminum shell, versus the plastic shelled KZ ES3...They use the same drivers, in the same number and configuration, but I can 'hear' the metal body, it's cleaner, more crisp...almost sterile by comparison. (in a good way).

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #8,537 of 8,987
Well, since nobody seemed to have a strong opinion on whether swapping out the plastic cups for the aluminum ones would have the effect I want, I decided to just figure it out for myself. :wink:
I bought a set of 325e cups from another forum member, they should be here on Thursday.
When I had a 325e on loan I compared them to my 80e and my modded Phillips SHP 9500s...
The 9500s and the 325e were basically a tie, especially when I used the larger G cush pads...the 325e was a little more aggressive and "Grado" sounding but actually pretty similar
9500s: bigger sound stage, more relaxed mids, smoother sounding overall. Bass is better in every regard, but not by much.
325e: more intimate soundstage, the mids were more 'in your face' by a couple of paces, better clarity/detail ...
the 80e was very similar sounding to the 325e, but just not quite as mature. It is doing the same things in the same ways, but not as well, so it comes in second to the 9500s. By comparison the 80e are a little more shouty and harsh, lacking some refinement.
The point of all my filibustering is I am trying to bring my 80e up to the level of the 9500s. I made the headband much more comfortable, that's a start, now I am hoping to get a little more controlled sound out of the cups.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #8,538 of 8,987
They use the same drivers, in the same number and configuration, but I can 'hear' the metal body, it's cleaner, more crisp...almost sterile by comparison. (in a good way).

That's a cool observation you did there and because of this, some manufacturers opt for i.e. wood as their enclosure material of choice.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 30, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #8,539 of 8,987
Well, since nobody seemed to have a strong opinion on whether swapping out the plastic cups for the aluminum ones would have the effect I want, I decided to just figure it out for myself. :wink:
I bought a set of 325e cups from another forum member, they should be here on Thursday.
When I had a 325e on loan I compared them to my 80e and my modded Phillips SHP 9500s...
The 9500s and the 325e were basically a tie, especially when I used the larger G cush pads...the 325e was a little more aggressive and "Grado" sounding but actually pretty similar
9500s: bigger sound stage, more relaxed mids, smoother sounding overall. Bass is better in every regard, but not by much.
325e: more intimate soundstage, the mids were more 'in your face' by a couple of paces, better clarity/detail ...
the 80e was very similar sounding to the 325e, but just not quite as mature. It is doing the same things in the same ways, but not as well, so it comes in second to the 9500s. By comparison the 80e are a little more shouty and harsh, lacking some refinement.
The point of all my filibustering is I am trying to bring my 80e up to the level of the 9500s. I made the headband much more comfortable, that's a start, now I am hoping to get a little more controlled sound out of the cups.

From my experience I can tell you that the back chamber dimensions has a way more profound effect on perceived sound than the cup material used.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #8,540 of 8,987
That's a cool observation you did there and because of this, some manufacturers opt for i.e. wood as their enclosure material of choice.
Right, you use wood to craft what kind of resonances come from the cups...some vibrate with more treble, others with more bass depending on density, pore structure etc.....and plastic has it's own sound, which isn't preferable.

From my experience I can tell you that the back chamber dimensions has a way more profound effect on perceived sound than the cup material used.
Of course, that's why something like the Brainwavz HM5 has a bigger perceived soundstage than the Sony MDR 7506 for example. Both are tuned to have a relatively neutral sound signature, but the HM5 has those cavernous cups, hence the bigger soundstage.
I'm not looking to drastically alter the sound just clean it up. I want to hear the drivers more and the plastic cups less, if that makes sense. (plus, I am not a fan of the giant Frankensteins Bolts look some of the larger aftermarket cups achieve)

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #8,541 of 8,987
Right, you use wood to craft what kind of resonances come from the cups...some vibrate with more treble, others with more bass depending on density, pore structure etc.....and plastic has it's own sound, which isn't preferable.

Of course, that's why something like the Brainwavz HM5 has a bigger perceived soundstage than the Sony MDR 7506 for example. Both are tuned to have a relatively neutral sound signature, but the HM5 has those cavernous cups, hence the bigger soundstage.
I'm not looking to drastically alter the sound just clean it up. I want to hear the drivers more and the plastic cups less, if that makes sense. (plus, I am not a fan of the giant Frankensteins Bolts look some of the larger aftermarket cups achieve)

I had a SR325e first and to me it was just a bit harsh/metallic in the treble so I sent it back and got the SR225e which to me was smoother without the harsh treble. I then got the RS1e (first version which I later found out was bad) and while it was more extended in the treble than the SR225e along with better low end extension the protruding drivers messed up the mids so I sent it back and got the RS2e which to me was so much better over all. The experimenting with sorbothane came about from playing with my old SR009 and then the HE400 and HE500 that I had borrowed from a friend. One thing to note is that these all have metal cups and I think that is why the sorbothane works with them. Since I only used wood cups the dynamat seems to work giving the cups a bit more mass but the sorbothane on the back of the driver magnet acks like the damping material that comes on the higher end Grados, Nhoord Red V2, and other drivers. My take on the duro rating of the sorbothane is that the higher numbers are designed to damp more of the higher frequencies while lower number are for more of the low frequencies.

I've also had the PS500 and borrowed a friends PS500e (these sound quite different) and both were a little bit metallic in the treble but not harsh.

I think many have found that how the drivers are mounted is just a important as the materials used for the cups.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #8,542 of 8,987
I had a SR325e first and to me it was just a bit harsh/metallic in the treble so I sent it back and got the SR225e which to me was smoother without the harsh treble. I then got the RS1e (first version which I later found out was bad) and while it was more extended in the treble than the SR225e along with better low end extension the protruding drivers messed up the mids so I sent it back and got the RS2e which to me was so much better over all. The experimenting with sorbothane came about from playing with my old SR009 and then the HE400 and HE500 that I had borrowed from a friend. One thing to note is that these all have metal cups and I think that is why the sorbothane works with them. Since I only used wood cups the dynamat seems to work giving the cups a bit more mass but the sorbothane on the back of the driver magnet acks like the damping material that comes on the higher end Grados, Nhoord Red V2, and other drivers. My take on the duro rating of the sorbothane is that the higher numbers are designed to damp more of the higher frequencies while lower number are for more of the low frequencies.

I've also had the PS500 and borrowed a friends PS500e (these sound quite different) and both were a little bit metallic in the treble but not harsh.

I think many have found that how the drivers are mounted is just a important as the materials used for the cups.
I understand some people don't care for the 325e, the treble is too much for them...I however grew up in the L.A. area in the 80s and went to hear a lot of live music, then I went to college in Portland in the 90s and went to hear a lot of live music, after college I moved to Austin ...and went to hear a lot of live music....and now I am 50 and for some reason the treble on the 325 doesn't seem too harsh and metallic to my ears, go figure.
I may try sorbothane again, (if anyone has any laying around they want to donate to the cause I would gladly accept :wink: ) right now I am just trying to build the best possible Grado for my personal tastes, for the least amount of money. I thought about going with wood cups and all that, but I can get a brand new set of RS2e for $300, if I am going to have a woodied Grado I would probably just get that and never be on this thread again.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #8,543 of 8,987
I understand some people don't care for the 325e, the treble is too much for them...I however grew up in the L.A. area in the 80s and went to hear a lot of live music, then I went to college in Portland in the 90s and went to hear a lot of live music, after college I moved to Austin ...and went to see a lot of live music....and now I am 50 and for some reason the treble on the 325 doesn't seem to harsh and metallic to my ears, go figure.
I may try sorbothane again, (if anyone has any laying around they want to donate to the cause I would gladly accept :wink: ) right now I am just trying to build the best possible Grado for my personal tastes, for the least amount of money. I thought about going with wood cups and all that, but I can get a brand new set of RS2e for $300, if I am going to have a woodied Grado I would probably just get that and never be on this thread again.
While I do have the RS2e I think the other alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones bring a lot to the table while giving you something of the Grado sound but with slightly different tuning, but you are correct that the cost can be quite a bit more. Here is a picture to help you on your way
The Woody Gang-1.jpg

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #8,544 of 8,987
While I do have the RS2e I think the other alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones bring a lot to the table while giving you something of the Grado sound but with slightly different tuning, but you are correct that the cost can be quite a bit more. Here is a picture to help you on your way
Thanks, I've seen that pic, and a million other Grado pics. :) ...I read a LOT of information before I got my first set...I realize this is a cult and I am in dangerous territory just sipping on the provided Flavor Aid.
I am a minimalist when it comes to consumer products, I don't like having two headphones that sound the same or even very similar...I intend to have one Grado for when I am in a Grado mood....I'm honestly already kind of wondering if I will wind up selling off my modded SHP 9500s...

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #8,545 of 8,987
Thanks, I've seen that pic, and a million other Grado pics. :) ...I read a LOT of information before I got my first set...I realize this is a cult and I am in dangerous territory just sipping on the provided Flavor Aid.
I am a minimalist when it comes to consumer products, I don't like having two headphones that sound the same or even very similar...I intend to have one Grado for when I am in a Grado mood....I'm honestly already kind of wondering if I will wind up selling off my modded SHP 9500s...
The Nhoord Red V2, Ypsilon R1, Ypsilon S1 and RS2e in the pictures sound quite different from each other IMO (most that have heard them noted that its easy to tell them apart) and they also react to the various amps that I have quite differently. I'm definitely not a minimalist when it comes to AV or booze :ksc75smile:, LOL

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #8,547 of 8,987
Took me awhile to realize this.:smile_phones:

One day you're cruising the web looking for a cool pair of cans...the next you're up to your knees in sawdust and standing in front of a lathe at 4 AM...

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #8,548 of 8,987
One day you're cruising the web looking for a cool pair of cans...the next you're up to your knees in sawdust and standing in front of a lathe at 4 AM...
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #8,550 of 8,987
Here is my finished (for now) Grado SR80e project:
50906964_10215585083394375_5987995790075756544_o.jpg
Custom leather headband, L cush and 325e cups. I don't have the 'real' 325e on loan anymore to compare, but comparing them to my modded Phillips SHP9500s the differences/similarities are what I recall to a 325e. As a very unscientific 'proof': when I had all three headphones to compare I remember using identical settings on my Dolby Atmos for the 9500s and the 325e, but different ones for the 80e....after putting the new cups on my 80e and adjusting the Dolby setting to my tastes...turns out they are nearly identical to the 9500s settings.
Comfier headband than the 325e, no garden hose cables and the same sound signature...for less than half the cost? Winner winner chicken dinner!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back