post your grado mods....
Aug 1, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #7,831 of 8,987
Not a direct answer to your question but have you tired either L or G pads? For me the S or 414 pads are just too uncomfortable and while the L pads (generic or OEM) are a bit better for comfort they are much better sounding IMO. I like the generic G pads from ebay ($4-6) best for comfort, and they also give a 1-2dB boost to the bass and I find the imaging/sound stage to also be slightly better.

Not yet. I have a set of Ear Zonks L or G pads sitting around. Don't remember which but they came with the Ear Zonks case.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #7,832 of 8,987
Pro
Not yet. I have a set of Ear Zonks L or G pads sitting around. Don't remember which but they came with the Ear Zonks case.
Probably L pads if 3" in diameter, G pads are 4-1/4" diameter, I think I also got a pair of the pads when I got a case for my RS2e. The EZ or generic pads are made of one type of foam while the Grado OEM pads are made of three different layers of foam.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #7,833 of 8,987
Great idea, only thing that stops me from doing this is most premade cables don't use decent quality wires and many times they are coated so its a pain to work with.
Actually most of those studiowires and decent hificables are quite good gauge, and material. And mostly non coated.
Look for cordial, or sommer cable. Very good quality and cost is around 10€

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #7,835 of 8,987
Cup depth readjustment.
After a few consequent readjustments I have settled with 9,5mm on bottom and 8 mm on top. It seems like further stretching keeps adding bass and airiness, but friction joint becomes unstable. 1,5 mm slant made sound less peaky - brass stopped being annoyng.
One more mod, inspired by PS500:
IMG_0779.JPG
Front voice coil vents covered with Omnipor. Much smoother high frequency response has let midrange forward.
Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with PS500, but I know it's FR to be smoother than other Grados, so I tried to figure out a way to achieve a similar response with my MS-1.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #7,837 of 8,987
@DavidA , I don't want to end with too much weight on my head. A bit of Bimast has already been applied directly to the driver and to the inner cup right where the driver seats. There's a minuscule moving mass to counteract, so even a little extra mass is overkill.
I will use a drop of true hot glue once I find that no more adjustment is needed.

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #7,838 of 8,987
I've always like the effect of adding mass to the cups using dynamat since it makes the bass better defined and dynamat on the back of the drivers cleans up the over all sound. I haven't try sorbothane in the cups yet but it does wonders for the HE400.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #7,839 of 8,987
hey guys new head-filer here just bought some grados recently and after 2weeks of usage i tried to mod it, not so complicated just the basics quarter, damping and headband mode...this headband really gives me comfort like nothings on my head seriously..its a part of my cheap nia a-1, which is also a good headphone for its price around 10-15bucks.

here the pics,.

fYveJQ9

http://imgur.com/fYveJQ9

FVOtCpk

http://imgur.com/FVOtCpk

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #7,840 of 8,987
hey guys new head-filer here just bought some grados recently and after 2weeks of usage i tried to mod it, not so complicated just the basics quarter, damping and headband mode...this headband really gives me comfort like nothings on my head seriously..its a part of my cheap nia a-1, which is also a good headphone for its price around 10-15bucks.

here the pics,.

fYveJQ9

http://imgur.com/fYveJQ9

FVOtCpk

http://imgur.com/FVOtCpk

I have a similar headband from a cheap Vivitar headphone but its a little limited in movement and I guess my ears need more adjustment to get a good fit so I never use then but if it works for you then its a nice cheap setup.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #7,843 of 8,987
Some mods.

1800 Senngrados.

I made these for a 'secret Santa' gift. Sennheiser PX100 drivers (where most of the budget went) in 1800 tequila bottle tops cut to size with a hand drill, hole saw and safety squint. Grado SR80 headband and gimbals from an e-bay purchase for the cups, paracord sheathed Canare cable and leather/lambskin headband from scraps and 'parts' box.
36392857901_d4cd596b3a_z_d.jpg

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #7,844 of 8,987
Grado 325 cups with Magnum v7 drivers.

Aluminium gimbals by Rholupat (sanded rodblocks back to satin to better match cups and mounted with screw holes 'out'). Same paracord/canare cable as above, same leather/lambskin headband (there's a thin strip of shaped, closed-cell-foam in the headbands).

36362389442_865e8d4165_z_d.jpg

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #7,845 of 8,987
These were a regular Christmas/birthday gift for someone who liked a little more bass than I thought I could get from a straight Grado mod.

Senngrados with PX100ii drivers in striped rosewood cups and with painted aluminium rodblock/gimbals - both by Rholupat. Same paracord and leather/lambskin as above. Steel band for headband cut short and re-drilled to better fit head of recipient.
36484989496_000770397d_z_d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back