post your grado mods....
Aug 16, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #7,861 of 8,992
P_20170816_170405_SRES_1.jpg
P_20170816_170452_SRES_2_1.jpg

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #7,863 of 8,992
I really love the look of metal woven mesh over the honeycomb plastic stock. but I'm having hard time to decide wether to put back the button or not..whatcha guys think?
I like the look without the button, plus I think the button might reflect some sound causing distortion

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #7,864 of 8,992
I like the look without the button, plus I think the button might reflect some sound causing distortion

thanks for ur opinion..if only the button is made up of higher quality material ill put it back,,,the plastic material just dont go well with metal mesh...also i notice a significant difference in terms of sound quality after i change the mesh..the bass became wider and the highs brighter, but not to the extent of being harsh. (except at highest volume, u can hear the harshness now compared to stock grills)...mids still the same tho

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #7,865 of 8,992
thanks for ur opinion..if only the button is made up of higher quality material ill put it back,,,the plastic material just dont go well with metal mesh...also i notice a significant difference in terms of sound quality after i change the mesh..the bass became wider and the highs brighter, but not to the extent of being harsh. (except at highest volume, u can hear the harshness now compared to stock grills)...mids still the same tho
You might want to try some dynamat in the cups, something like this:
SR-225e-2.jpg
I also put a felt disk on the back of the plastic button to reduce reflections in my SR225e

And consider either dynamat or sorbothane on the back of the drive magnet:
SennGrado-inside-3.jpg
Sorbothane on the magnet of PX-100ii drivers in my old SennGrado build and dynamat in the cups

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #7,866 of 8,992
You might want to try some dynamat in the cups, something like this:

I also put a felt disk on the back of the plastic button to reduce reflections in my SR225e

And consider either dynamat or sorbothane on the back of the drive magnet:

Sorbothane on the magnet of PX-100ii drivers in my old SennGrado build and dynamat in the cups

ayyt thanks for the suggerstions will do it right after ill get a hand of dynamats..however i still got some extra felt adhesives can i use it as an alternative to dynamats? or dynamats is a better option still?

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #7,867 of 8,992
ayyt thanks for the suggerstions will do it right after ill get a hand of dynamats..however i still got some extra felt adhesives can i use it as an alternative to dynamats? or dynamats is a better option still?
Dynamat and felt are very different materials and what effects they can have on the sound. The dynamat/sorbothane both absorb unwanted vibrations and the dynamat also increases the mass of the cups making the bass more defined and present. If you look at the drivers from Nhoord and Elleven Acoustica they have some damping material on the back of the drivers and even my RS2e has some. Dynamat has also been used to mod the HD650 on its frame and it does help the bass to be more detailed and helps to reduce the mid bass hump to give a better over all sound.

Felt is really only for controlling unwanted reflections of sound wave and actually will mute some of the bass depending on where you place it from what I've found so far. Used for the fuzzor mod in HE560 and some are now doing this with the M1060 to reduce some ringing.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #7,868 of 8,992
Felt and dynamat mods all depends on the model you are using. In my modded 125, (originals) liked dynamat and very airy felt at back of magnets. Uppermids got a bit less harsh, and sound tightened ever so slightly.

On 325is:s dynamat was ok, but felt made sound a bit too bright, wich was very strange.

And Original 225:s has two holes in magnet wich goes all the way thru, to the element, and you dont want to cover that, or you loose that good bass, but when you do that dynamat mod, and felt, just right, the sound is phenomenal!

So different models, from different era, are totally different cases. So you cant give any allaround tips. Just do the tuning by listening.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #7,869 of 8,992
Felt and dynamat mods all depends on the model you are using. In my modded 125, (originals) liked dynamat and very airy felt at back of magnets. Uppermids got a bit less harsh, and sound tightened ever so slightly.

On 325is:s dynamat was ok, but felt made sound a bit too bright, wich was very strange.

And Original 225:s has two holes in magnet wich goes all the way thru, to the element, and you dont want to cover that, or you loose that good bass, but when you do that dynamat mod, and felt, just right, the sound is phenomenal!

So different models, from different era, are totally different cases. So you cant give any allaround tips. Just do the tuning by listening.

Oh there is one! Loose that back button. It calms that uppermid resonance spike, around 2Khz a bit.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #7,870 of 8,992

I haven't done much with felt, only used it on the back of button on my 225e, tried some around the cup which reduced the bass which in turn made the 225e seem even brighter.

Dynamat in the 325 doesn't affect the sound as much if you put it in the aluminum cups since it already has a lot of mass but putting the dynamat around the inner plastic cup seems to have more of an effect in cleaning up the bass and over all sound from what I've found.

Agree about not covering any holes on the magnet housing, I forgot to mention that, good catch.

With the 225i the dynamat will help more than in the 225e since the drivers are quite different but it does basically the same thing which is to add mass, reduce unwanted vibrations.

I'll have to disagree with you about all around tips since they seem to have the same effect in all the different models that I've tried them on.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #7,871 of 8,992
Dynamat and felt are very different materials and what effects they can have on the sound. The dynamat/sorbothane both absorb unwanted vibrations and the dynamat also increases the mass of the cups making the bass more defined and present. If you look at the drivers from Nhoord and Elleven Acoustica they have some damping material on the back of the drivers and even my RS2e has some. Dynamat has also been used to mod the HD650 on its frame and it does help the bass to be more detailed and helps to reduce the mid bass hump to give a better over all sound.

Felt is really only for controlling unwanted reflections of sound wave and actually will mute some of the bass depending on where you place it from what I've found so far. Used for the fuzzor mod in HE560 and some are now doing this with the M1060 to reduce some ringing.

aight thanks man

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #7,872 of 8,992
I'll have to disagree with you about all around tips since they seem to have the same effect in all the different models that I've tried them on.

Dont know if we understand each other perfectly, (my english is far from perfect) but as i wrote previously, different models react differently on different mods, as felt mods (wich i btw, use aircondition filters)
So at least i cant say for sure, how does some other model sounds, if you put felt over magnet or such. But i think that dynamat does not do any harm at least, when you put it on magnets, if you dont fill any holes.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #7,874 of 8,992
Yeah, it comes so big quantions, so it´s quite expensive. Post on some car modding board, and ask if somebody has few cm2 to spare.
Someone has used bluetac, but i cant prefer, because it drys after all, and could crumble and end up inside your driver.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #7,875 of 8,992
Dont know if we understand each other perfectly, (my english is far from perfect) but as i wrote previously, different models react differently on different mods, as felt mods (wich i btw, use aircondition filters)
So at least i cant say for sure, how does some other model sounds, if you put felt over magnet or such. But i think that dynamat does not do any harm at least, when you put it on magnets, if you dont fill any holes.

No problem, I figured that there might be some language issues, we're good. Also, thanks for making the comment about the vent holes on the back of the driver.

I just realized dynamats is very expensive here in my country.. any other alternatives to be suggested?
Some say blue-tac is similar but I'm not sure if there is a direct substitute for dynamat but check auto shops that do car audio since it is where dynamat was originally used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back