post your grado mods....
Nov 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #4,171 of 8,992

My Magnum drivers had a similar configuration - when I cut the casing open a bit earlier this evening.  However, my leads were torn right at the edge of the mylar driver material.  It was hard to see if two leads were there, and even with my magnifying glass, it was still hard to decipher.  I then rolled up the edge of the driver to access the leads.  I had my acetone prepared to remove the protective coating on the driver.  However, due to the positioning of the tear in the leads, and the extreme super-duty adhesive that was used to secure the leads to the underside of the mylar driver material, I hit a dead end.  I couldn't get those leads to release at all and using the soldering iron near the mylar would mean instant death to the driver.

Keep min mind, though, this is with the Magnum v. 3.5 driver, not an actual Grado driver.  Grado might bond the leads a bit differently.  Also, if the thread leads were still present outside of the mylar edge, life would be much better.  I'm not going to move ahead with this because the mylar being lifted and bent a bit will never sound right if I were to get things running again.

Many thanks Wayne. Looks like I'll be doing some reading this evening...

Joe, Sadly, my Magnum v. 3.5 driver is currently resting in peace.  A dead end in the repair process was hit and I can't proceed.  The earlier recommendation of sending the headphones to Grado for the fix is seriously a good one.  I've been there before.  I just placed the liberated driver back into the black plastic sleeve, then put the cups back together.  This was with my SR-225i.  The cost was $35.00 about 2 years ago.  The $35.00 included the repairs, materials as well as the shipping back to me.  The process took only about a week.  So, I was only responsible for about $5.00 to get the headphones to them, plus the $35.00 to apply the work and mail them back to me.

I had similar work done on my SR-325i.  The cost was just a bit more.  $45.00.

As to Keith and his discussion with Grado about the drivers.  For the PS-1000, the $200 seems about right.  I think the Grado RS1 runs about $150 to have the work done.

I did have an issue with my Alessandro MS1i headphones (another pair, not the pair I sold to Joe) and I was able to get Alessandro to send me a replacement driver.  If it had been the MS-2 or the MS-Pro, they would have had to be shipped back in.

Ah ... the wonderful world of drivers.  After working with a few drivers from other brands, I can clearly state that the Grado and Magnum drivers are a bit fragile.  The solder tabs could be improved 100% over how they are configured right now.  Sennheiser has a much better mount system with a green PCB and way better soldering tabs.  I can't imagine the cost of the drivers running more than $5.00 or so per pair.  Then again, Grado might have to perform a lot of work by testing and matching the drivers for their applications appropriately.  Additionally, I can't imagine the Magnum drivers running more than $10.00 a pair to produce.  Nothing against Turbulent Labs, but the profit margin on the drivers has got to be huge.

I wonder what the Chinese grey market is like for driver availability?  It's funny we don't see more floating around.  I'm sure they're out there.

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #4,172 of 8,992
I have tried poking about on odd sites here and there to see if I can find a 32 ohm, 40 mm driver, thinking if it was cheap enough it might be worth a shot, but I can never quite tell...after all, all of the drivers are remarkably similar looking from one Grado model to the next...

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #4,173 of 8,992
I have tried poking about on odd sites here and there to see if I can find a 32 ohm, 40 mm driver, thinking if it was cheap enough it might be worth a shot, but I can never quite tell...after all, all of the drivers are remarkably similar looking from one Grado model to the next...

A few years back, there were a lot of discussions in the Grado threads that everything from the SR-325 and down all used basically the same driver.  I think the belief was that all the sound differences were applied at the cup level to distinguish the differences or changes in sound.  Again, though, this was in discussions and might have been folklore.

I do have a theory, though. I've seen other threads that have noted Grado actually uses different magnet weights and possible some variation in the drive (mylar thickness?) to create the different signatures.  I suspect this might be more accurate as opposed to one single driver from the SR-60 through the SR-325.  If you want to see a real nice Grado driver, check out the driver from the HP2 headphones which I've provided below.  Nothing like the drivers used in the SR, GS or PS series.

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #4,175 of 8,992
Stupid question....who designs headphone drivers? Did Joe Grado do it himself or did he 'outsource' the design?

Curious because I think if I had a design I could find a source for making them in the republic of China.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #4,177 of 8,992
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/269488/grado-drivers

I read through all 7 pages of the thread. Makes me wonder if country of origin could be traced through some sort of chemical testing. Perhaps if every Grado driver tested had DNA traces from a person of Asian descent and we could prove that no Asians were employed at Grado we'd finally have an answer.

I wonder....back when Primo was printed on the back of the HP drivers did Grado still call them "made in america"?

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #4,178 of 8,992
I think I went overboard for my next cable that's for some pink drivers I just got.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #4,179 of 8,992
I think I went overboard for my next cable that's for some pink drivers I just got.

What kind of wire did you use? Looks like 2 different kinds.

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #4,180 of 8,992
Sourced out some spc LITZ wire and copper for a hybrid. 16 wires total. The idea was taken from Alo Audio's reference 16 cable. Might switch out the regular copper for a copper LITZ also but who knows.

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #4,181 of 8,992

Thank you. I pay a lot of respect to Rhydon's comments in that thread. After all, he has worked on the design of his Magnum drivers as well as several revisions in addition to dealing with manufacturers of the product itself. Quite a bit of the other responses in that thread are just speculation. While I would love to see the option of lesser cost drivers from more sources, I, myself don't have enough of a demand or need for more than five pair in any given year.

Is there really such a thing as overdoing a modification? I think I will keep Mr sr60s / pinks in somewhat stock/vigin form. Maybe some mahogany sleeves or inserts. Granted, the pinks are good, actually quite good but not nearly as good as some of the historic Grado classics that I've not heard yet to this point. :p

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #4,182 of 8,992
Additionally, while working on a driver and headphone mod for another person, I've noted that the. Sennheiser px-100 II driver is an open back design and the same diameter as the Grado driver. The Senn px-100 II is only $48 with free shipping from some vendors. The Loss KSC has been noted as an option too and the Loss KSC75 is just $9.99 plus shipping from Amazon. Both drivers have vastly superior rigor for soldering capabilities when compared to the Grado or Magnum offering. Then again, Grado doesn't cater to the modder or hackers like we are. Or, do they?

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4,183 of 8,992
Check this out:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=279-090

Too bad it's no longer available. Almost looks like a Grado driver.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #4,184 of 8,992
Additionally, while working on a driver and headphone mod for another person, I've noted that the. Sennheiser px-100 II driver is an open back design and the same diameter as the Grado driver. The Senn px-100 II is only $48 with free shipping from some vendors. The Loss KSC has been noted as an option too and the Loss KSC75 is just $9.99 plus shipping from Amazon. Both drivers have vastly superior rigor for soldering capabilities when compared to the Grado or Magnum offering. Then again, Grado doesn't cater to the modder or hackers like we are. Or, do they?

Thanks, Wayne! I'm going to order the Koss KSC75 and take look. 

Are you aware of any other possible "foster drivers?"

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #4,185 of 8,992
a friend of mine had this sennheiser, so i had the chance to listen to. the sennheiser px100 II is really dark sounding, no highs, so may fit, but i would not use this driver for a mod. if you spend $20 more you could get a sr60i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back