post your grado mods....
Jun 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2,356 of 8,988
Quote:

Left to right: Alessandro MS-Pro (Standard), Woody Alessandro MS1i (heavy mod), Woody Magnum Symphones

laik dis yoo....
beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #2,357 of 8,988
Quote:
Mantap, Gan! ...oops...nice pic! :)
The MS1i woody...that's not the Jaben Woody mod...custom made housing? Designed based on the MS-Pro housing? What kind of wood?

The woody has been made around 3 years ago by Oery (I think he is the first person who make woody housing for Grado in audiophile-id, even before Calico, not really sure though). Yes, it was designed by measuring MS-Pro's housing.

Quote:
laik dis yoo....
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #2,358 of 8,988
Quote:

The woody has been made around 3 years ago by Oery (I think he is the first person who make woody housing for Grado in audiophile-id, even before Calico, not really sure though). Yes, it was designed by measuring MS-Pro's housing.

Ahh...I see! It's not the same design as Oery's famous SR60 Woody Mk I and II using Aren Wood (CMIIW)...that's why I didn't recognize the design.
Link and pic of Oery's Woody in case anyone's confused 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/435

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2,362 of 8,988
Quote:
This is my 2nd attemp of SR60 mod... the first one only make wood housing.
The new one (I called it, Woody Grado MarkII)... have an integrated front spacer,
just like Dark Audio Liberators... add 12mm extra space at the front of Grado Driver.
So, it give me (natural) resonance at the back for improving dynamics and tonal.
Then, front spacer, add (natural) resonance to gain up Grado soundstage.

img2.jpg

Wood material:
Enclosure & Back Cover --> Aren Palm (Arrenga Pinnata)
Front Spacer --> Jackfruit Wood (Artocarpus Heterophyllus)
no chemical coating nor coloring
Pad: Senn HD414 (Black Custom Colorized)
Cable: Canare L-2T2S & Canare L-202AT

img3.jpg

O,ya... this is my first post at this amazing forum...
warmest regards to you all
atsmile.gif

Hey, I noticed these on gradogirls.tumblr.com

These cups are hard to miss!

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #2,364 of 8,988
Chris

Does he have a website - and can you give a ballpark on pricing?

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #2,365 of 8,988
Quote:
Chris

Does he have a website - and can you give a ballpark on pricing?

Lol, I'm sure he'll read this and give you a PM.

I don't want to quote pricing because things might change in the future like with Martin Audio where the demand in addition to weather conditions forced him to escalate pricing. You're in for a pleasant surprise though if you keep your expectations about pricing realistic, you'll find they're quite reasonable :)

If he keeps the good work, I'd like to invite him to post his stuff on our facebook page to draw traffic in. They're actually really great and I think they have a lot of potential considering he's done a couple more runs of these (which I have been assured are better) since I received these 2 weeks ago.

I think they're kind of cute, like I said maybe flare out the flange and square it off a bit, they'd be more masculine. They sound fantastic though, and I know the mushroom style is popular anyway, so most people probably like them the way they are.

No, I don't come from a third world country, I'm actually from San Jose, CA and it's just 5:30AM here and I was up watching "Home Improvement" again. Tim Allen rulez

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2,366 of 8,988
Thanks Chris. I don't actually need a set, as I have a great set of Cabillas - but those do look really good - and I'm a sucker for a deal :)

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #2,368 of 8,988
Hey guys, the project for the earpads have been scrapped due to Malaysia not having the technological advancements to produce such an earpad. I apologise for keeping your hopes up and i myself was extremely dissapointed when i found out that it could not be done. I tried for the last 3 weeks even having multiple phonecalls and discussions to try to produce the pad. Having exhausted all avenues. Here is the design for the pad (the crosssection) of what i had in mind. Hopefully someone with cnc experience with foam would be able to produce the pad oneday. =)

Cheers,

Jin

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #2,369 of 8,988
I accidentally damaged my partner's Grado SR80i about a year ago (trying to mod them - I misshaped the plastic housing using a hair dryer), and ended up having to buy new headphones (a set of DT770s). So all this time the SR80i drivers were sitting unused, so I thought I'd make a special 21st birthday present for my partner and completely redo her broken Grado SR80i. I wish to thank Cabillas for providing the mahogany cups - they are beautifully made. I used nylon techflex over some miniature starquad cable and terminated it with a switchcraft 3.5mm jack. I used the Onyx Manta leather headband from headphonelounge.com which is very comfortable - a big step up from the vinyl headband of the SR80i! I will give them to her in a week's time - until then I get to listen to them in secret!

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #2,370 of 8,988
Now those are stylin cups. They dont stick out too far like most custom wood cups. Anyone know how they sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back