post your grado mods....
Mar 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #2,056 of 8,988

Quote:
I tried this.  I couldn't get it to work.  The plastic ridge around the outside just kept breaking off.  I'm too scared of breaking it to try any more.  The glue keeping it in seems to be stronger than the plastic that I can get any leverage on. 

Ur sposed to break the driver ring. You're just breaking the driver out of it's miserable jail cell to house it in some wooden goodness. It's pretty hard to break one of those things mate... trust me my first liberation was very forceful and today it's sitting happily in some Ohrenholz wood ahahah

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #2,057 of 8,988
i have yet to ever replace the inners of my grados, there really that MUCH of a difference? over just woodie shells

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #2,059 of 8,988
I only mess with it for looks and function; for example; adding a single cable mod is much more functional than the Y cord in my opinion. I mess with the grills because I think it looks better.

I think I have the general idea for the single jack mod down.. I'm just trying to figure out how to use the Y cable as my cable. do I cut it and join the cable above the Y split? Do the cable come out of the plastic Y splitter?

edit: I think I figured it out. I'll cut right above the Y joint on both sides. I'll cut right below the Y joint. I'll combine the "top" part of the Y joint (the 2 cables) and then connect them both to the cable that was "below" the Y joint.

Does this sound good or did it sound dumb?

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2,060 of 8,988

Quote:
I only mess with it for looks and function; for example; adding a single cable mod is much more functional than the Y cord in my opinion. I mess with the grills because I think it looks better.

I think I have the general idea for the single jack mod down.. I'm just trying to figure out how to use the Y cable as my cable. do I cut it and join the cable above the Y split? Do the cable come out of the plastic Y splitter?

edit: I think I figured it out. I'll cut right above the Y joint on both sides. I'll cut right below the Y joint. I'll combine the "top" part of the Y joint (the 2 cables) and then connect them both to the cable that was "below" the Y joint.

Does this sound good or did it sound dumb?

If this is what I'm picturing in my head, this sounds good to me!

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #2,062 of 8,988
So I pried the driver out using a screw driver, managed to get the rice out of there, and finally got it all back together.  But now that side won't work at all.  I must have damaged the wiring in the process.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #2,063 of 8,988

Quote:
So I pried the driver out using a screw driver, managed to get the rice out of there, and finally got it all back together.  But now that side won't work at all.  I must have damaged the wiring in the process.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Make sure the two colored wires didn't get stripped and are now touching eachother. If this is the case just slide a piece of electrical tape between them and it should work, then tape that around it so they cannot touch. This is the + and - signal and they'll cancel eachother out.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,064 of 8,988
My Grado's are in the drying process from getting their 3rd coat of paint.

Been sanding & re-layering the paint.

Only thing I cheaped out on was the mineral spirits but I think it's looking alright.

They're gonna be totally black. Metal and all. We'll see how it goes... Pics in coming weeks as I wanna finish my single-jack mod and get some Bowls (does anybody have any? pm me) before I post a final :)

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2,065 of 8,988

Quote:
Make sure the two colored wires didn't get stripped and are now touching eachother. If this is the case just slide a piece of electrical tape between them and it should work, then tape that around it so they cannot touch. This is the + and - signal and they'll cancel eachother out.

I don't see any stripping or any visual damage to the wires.  Unless it happened further up the wires after they are inside the rubber coating.  Maybe I put too much heat via blow dryer on the driver.  This is so frustrating.  Maybe the thin red wire got damaged within that white coating thing when I was prying it out. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,066 of 8,988

Quote:
In case anybody's interested,

I can make you some of these:

Please PM me if you're interested. I can paint them too. Thanks :)

+1 I did this for my SR60's. Pretty substantial improvement in sound quality.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2,067 of 8,988

Quote:
I don't see any stripping or any visual damage to the wires.  Unless it happened further up the wires after they are inside the rubber coating.  Maybe I put too much heat via blow dryer on the driver.  This is so frustrating.  Maybe the thin red wire got damaged within that white coating thing when I was prying it out. 

It's very possible. If you don't see any visual damage I'm not sure. Make sure they aren't being pinched anywhere by the cups. This can also cause it.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2,069 of 8,988
Since I destroyed my SR80i's, the question is should I buy another pair or look for headphones that already have killer bass without modding?  I've clearly proven my gross incompetence at modding, but I did spend money on the Bowl pads and the Dynamat. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back