Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Aug 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #6,226 of 37,653
My incognito portable rig, pretty much the opposite of the awesome teched-out setups y'all have.  Photos to show you how little you see.

I wanted a Cypher Labs-based setup, I was concerned with a. the cost, b. having it stolen since it looks valuable c. having someone on the subway tackle me when I take it out because it looks like something someone shouldn't have on the subway.  So I do this instead:

It's an iPad Mini (that I already had)-->Apple Camera Connection-->ALO USB cable-->ALO Audio International DAC/amp.  The iPad Mini's in a book-style case, and I shove the amp and cables into a felt sleeve I used to use for a small Kindle.  I snipped a tiny hole to poke the lightning cable through. Other than 'phones there's only about an inch of cable showing.  And I'm getting the signal out of the iPad, bypassing the internal DAC and amp.  And it sorta looks like I'm holding an appointment book.  Even with the case and sleeve it weighs around 10 oz less than a CLAS-based rig (using iPod Classic for comparison) even though it's iPad-driven.  Fits easily in a messenger bag and under my arm.  I don't usually use the LCD-2's outside the house, just around the house.  Sounds great and gets plenty of power, had the cable made to take advantage of the mini-balanced output on the International.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #6,228 of 37,653
Quote:
My incognito portable rig, pretty much the opposite of the awesome teched-out setups y'all have.  Photos to show you how little you see.

I wanted a Cypher Labs-based setup, I was concerned with a. the cost, b. having it stolen since it looks valuable c. having someone on the subway tackle me when I take it out because it looks like something someone shouldn't have on the subway.  So I do this instead:

It's an iPad Mini (that I already had)-->Apple Camera Connection-->ALO USB cable-->ALO Audio International DAC/amp.  The iPad Mini's in a book-style case, and I shove the amp and cables into a felt sleeve I used to use for a small Kindle.  I snipped a tiny hole to poke the lightning cable through. Other than 'phones there's only about an inch of cable showing.  And I'm getting the signal out of the iPad, bypassing the internal DAC and amp.  And it sorta looks like I'm holding an appointment book.  Even with the case and sleeve it weighs around 10 oz less than a CLAS-based rig (using iPod Classic for comparison) even though it's iPad-driven.  Fits easily in a messenger bag and under my arm.  I don't usually use the LCD-2's outside the house, just around the house.  Sounds great and gets plenty of power, had the cable made to take advantage of the mini-balanced output on the International.

stylish looking rig.. what sort of iem or headphones you use when you are out and about? a Pelican case probably wont fit in your felt sleeve...

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #6,230 of 37,653
Quote:
stylish looking rig.. what sort of iem or headphones you use when you are out and about? a Pelican case probably wont fit in your felt sleeve...

Nah, phones are excused from having to fit in the sleeve.  :wink:
For out and about mostly the Sennheiser Momentums, a little bit of the Monster Trumpets I inherited when I need the isolation.
Tried the new Cardas EM5813s but they're not for me, will probably continue my search for great IEMs in the new year.
This hobby escalated quickly.  Need to catch my breath...

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #6,232 of 37,653
Quote:
Nah, phones are excused from having to fit in the sleeve.  :wink:
For out and about mostly the Sennheiser Momentums, a little bit of the Monster Trumpets I inherited when I need the isolation.
Tried the new Cardas EM5813s but they're not for me, will probably continue my search for great IEMs in the new year.
This hobby escalated quickly.  Need to catch my breath...

Yay, I also just picked up the hobby this year... and it is a bit overwhelming... I just put my rig in a camera bag that looks like a  ladies' cosmetic bag... LoL

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #6,234 of 37,653
Quote:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back of the Hifi-M8 LX:

Quote:
Anyone familiar with that cable? I need it for when my M8 eventually arrives :)~

this cable comes stock with the iBasso D42

Also, if you're interested, check out this DIY thread by FraGGleRhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/666267/diy-otg-micro-usb-b-cable-to-usb-b-tutorial

I've made 2 OTG Micro USB B cable to USB B cables so far and previously had no experience with a soldering iron or DIY'ing, good fun!

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #6,235 of 37,653
Aug 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #6,238 of 37,653

Quote:
How does the elekit TU-HP01 sound like.

The TU-HP01 actually a pretty awesome intro to tube amps without spending too much (They're approx $200 in Japan based on current exchange rates). It's more susceptible to vibrations in comparison to the larger tube amps. I'm actually quite surprised a low cost kit amp like this sounds the way it does. Granted it's a hybrid and I did plonk in a $40 Muses02 OpAmp in it but this tube amp is like a gem in a garage sale.

Will u guys actually carry out portable tube amps? Wouldnt they be too hot?

Believe it or not, I do bring it to the office or to the local cafe. Basically anywhere I can sit down for at least an hour or two, I'd bring it out. Naturally if I'm going shopping, taking the train, bus, or walking around I don't use it. It actually doesn't produce much heat at all. Even after an hour's worth of operation, I can touch the tubes. The glow is actually from LED.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #6,239 of 37,653
Quote:

各位大佬, do you guys know any good places to buy cheap gear? And any good second hand sites/ stores? Thanks.

Hello Nicolas,

I am not so sure where you can find cheap gear. However, my favorite place to go to is Jaben. I find that in Jaben there is plenty to choose from and the space is big and comfortable, it has a good atmosphere. The staff are also very nice and kind. As for second hand, I am really not sure, it might be that it is more popular in Japan for example e earphone store in Osaka. Hope that helps!

Jonathan.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #6,240 of 37,653
Quote:
Hello Nicolas,

I am not so sure where you can find cheap gear. However, my favorite place to go to is Jaben. I find that in Jaben there is plenty to choose from and the space is big and comfortable, it has a good atmosphere. The staff are also very nice and kind. As for second hand, I am really not sure, it might be that it is more popular in Japan for example e earphone store in Osaka. Hope that helps!

Jonathan.

Forgive me Nicolas I misread your question, I thought you meant second hand shop/store in HK. I rarely shop online for earphones but I think you can trade and buy second hand in this forum. Sorry if I was not much of a big help to you.

Jonathan.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back