Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 22, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #8,927 of 37,707
I have tried the Abyss before but it never sounded so good as it did with Rudi's portable setup. Am glad I did not part with my original Clas.

Alex's work is that of a pure genius. Was a pleasure to meet him after lunch along with Pitsel and Pita. What a great way to spend a Saturday in Jakarta. Obviously no trip is complete with visiting Mike@Headfonia and Alvon/Nico@Jaben. Thanks a lot guys. :beerchug:

Next plan it to try Rudi's Sony ZX1 and PHA2.

Hi Sid
For next meet , Alex want bring more set up like follow :
ALO Rx 3 B mod
Class Solo mod
iPod Classic mod
Lod to USB and mini to mini diy

From me :
Sony WM ZX 1
Sony PHA 2

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #8,928 of 37,707
Hi Sid
For next meet , Alex want bring more set up like follow :
ALO Rx 3 B mod
Class Solo mod
iPod Classic mod
Lod to USB and mini to mini diy

From me :
Sony WM ZX 1
Sony PHA 2

Wow. Maybe I should run & swim back to Singapore.
blink.gif

Specifically what are the mods and what are they designed to do? For ALO & CLAS Original.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #8,930 of 37,707
For Seeteeyou

I have tried with my 3 best amps as pre amp :
Ko Jo KM 01
Ko Bo 385!
Wagnus Epsilon S

The result as follow :

Because my ALO Rx 3 B is stock not like Alex stag all mod , the result is very good to excellent , with Alex International full mod is always excellent .

iPhone 4 s mod > Class Solo > ALO Rx 3 B > Abyss = excellent SQ to drive Abyss

iPhone 4 s mod > Class Solo > Ko Jo as pre amp volume 75 % > ALO Rx 3 B > Abyss = very good SQ to drive Abyss

iPhone 4 s mod > Class Solo > Ko Bo 385 as pre amp vol 75% > ALO Rx 3 B > Abyss = excellent SQ to drive Abyss

iPhone 4 s mod > Class Solo > Wagnus Epsilon S as pre amp vol 75 % > ALO Rx 3 B > Abyss = excellent SQ to drive Abyss

With ALO International full mod , Alex has the gain matching to each other , if I turn the volume to 100 % from Ko Jo as per amp was NO Distorsion.

With my Stock ALO Rx 3 B , I can turn the volume from these 3 amps as pre amp only 75% max , I can not turn to max will be DISTORSION .
With 75% as per amp can improve the Sound Quality , from one pre amp to other pre amp has their strong and minus point

I hope this can answer your question

All in all SYNERGY is very important :
Source
Dac
Amp
Cable
Headphone

IMO

188202cc21585c30ea3004038a380b7a_zpsaee96e8b.jpg

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #8,932 of 37,707
Rudi Rudi Rudi...
You encourage me to have expensive thoughts my friend! 
I now yearn for the New Sony DAP. But alas it will have to wait.

Anyway, Today I thought I would give my new "Cheaper Go To" cans a whirl with a portable rig I haven't used in a while.
So I dug out and dusted off the E17 and well, This rig isn't for clarity or high end detail, However, I think I have found the perfect combo for EDM.
ie Trance, House & Drum & Bass.
Why, Well being an ex-DJ that used to play in the clubs at home and abroad, Ive always had a soft spot for that BIG room with sweeping bass sound, and this rig delivers EXACTLY that!
It may not be audiophile in comparison to say my Pelican balanced to my HD25's but hell, This setup is soooo lively and full of energy, I Love it!! And glad I got the Denons now!

Rockbox'd iPod 5.5g Vid.
Mundolf Gold LOD.
FiiO E17.
Monster Beats headphone Cable.
Denon AH-D320 Urban Raver.

And sat with some of my other sources...

Playbook 64gb. ( A VERY underrated source ) 
iPad 4 Retina.
Sony Vaio DAP.

And you can just see my SA5K's in the left with their new SA3K ear cushions fitted.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #8,933 of 37,707
Thank you for your compliment
biggrin.gif

He tried just one day about 8 hours
He stay until 27 Dec 2013 in Jakarta and next Tuesday I meet Sid again
He meet my friends too
He got to much poison from us
I am sorry Sid
biggrin.gif

Even so it is great to have such a great opportunity with those migthy rigs

Don you are absolutely correct. I am now secretly working on delaying my trip.... (shsh...don't tell Rudi)

No worries, I won´t tell anything to nobody. I hope you enjoy your time and if you have some time it would be great to hear your comments on the experience

Wow. Maybe I should run & swim back to Singapore.
blink.gif

Those were my thoughts, probably we could work like a team 
  This thread is getting dangerous. any way to unsubscribe...

yeah right, probably you need some poison too, I think you need to talk to Rudi...
  Rudi Rudi Rudi...
my new "Cheaper Go To" cans

Denon? Interesting, do you mind doing a comparision? thanks

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #8,934 of 37,707
For seeteeyou

I have tried with my 3 best amps as pre amp :
Ko Jo KM 01
Ko Bo 385!
Wagnus Epsilon S

The result as follow :

Because my ALO Rx 3 B is stock not like Alex stag all mod , the result is very good to excellent , with Alex International full mod is always excellent .

iPhone 4 s mod > Class Solo > ALO Rx 3 B > Abyss = excellent SQ to drive Abyss

iPhone 4 s mod > Class Solo > Ko Jo as pre amp volume 75 % > ALO Rx 3 B > Abyss = very good SQ to drive Abyss

iPhone 4 s mod > Class Solo > Ko Bo 385 as pre amp vol 75% > ALO Rx 3 B > Abyss = excellent SQ to drive Abyss

iPhone 4 s mod > Class Solo > Wagnus Epsilon S as pre amp vol 75 % > ALO Rx 3 B > Abyss = excellent SQ to drive Abyss

With ALO International full mod , Alex has the gain matching to each other , if I turn the volume to 100 % from Ko Jo as per amp was NO Distorsion.

With my Stock ALO Rx 3 B , I can turn the volume from these 3 amps as pre amp only 75% max , I can not turn to max will be DISTORSION .
With 75% as per amp can improve the Sound Quality , from one pre amp to other pre amp has their strong and minus point

I hope this can answer your question

All in all SYNERGY is very important :
Source
Dac
Amp
Cable
Headphone

IMO

Rudi, this is not taking a shot at your photography talents.  I've seen dozens of photos of the Abyss, many from you.  And boy, those things do not look good at all.  I hope their sound is not a reflection of their looks...

...and no, they are not portable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #8,935 of 37,707
Rudi Rudi Rudi...
I now yearn for the New Sony DAP. But alas it will have to wait.

Anyway, Today I thought I would give my new "Cheaper Go To" cans a whirl with a portable rig I haven't used in a while.
So I dug out and dusted off the E17 and well, This rig isn't for clarity or high end detail, However, I think I have found the perfect combo for EDM.
ie Trance, House & Drum & Bass.
Why, Well being an ex-DJ that used to play in the clubs at home and abroad, Ive always had a soft spot for that BIG room with sweeping bass sound, and this rig delivers EXACTLY that!
It may not be audiophile in comparison to say my Pelican balanced to my HD25's but hell, This setup is soooo lively and full of energy, I Love it!! And glad I got the Denons now!

Rockbox'd iPod 5.5g Vid.
Mundolf Gold LOD.
FiiO E17.
Monster Beats headphone Cable.
Denon AH-D320 Urban Raver.

And sat with some of my other sources...

Playbook 64gb. ( A VERY underrated source ) 
iPad 4 Retina.
Sony Vaio DAP.

And you can just see my SA5K's in the left with their new SA3K ear cushions fitted.

Hi Paul

Thank you

Sony WM ZX 1 is very good as DAP

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #8,938 of 37,707
I just tried Sony PHA 2 as line out

Source : iPhone 4S mod
Dac : Sony PHA 2 as pure dac through line out
Amp : ALO Rx 3 B
Headphone : Abyss 1266

I didn't expected that Sony PHA 2 line out so good , pair with my set up can drive my Abyss
In full power .

High : is less sparkling than from theorem or class solo
Mid : analog warm sounding midrange nit as clean from Theorem or class Solo
Bass : very good deep impact , but not as clean from class solo or Theorem
Separation : is very good , but below Theorem or Class Solo
Soundstage : wide
Sound character is overall warm

IMO

Source : sony WM ZX 1 use hi res USB
Dac / Amp : sony PHA 2 as pure dac use line out
Amp : ALO Rx 3 B
Headphone : Abyss 1266

Overall : same character warm analog sounding as use with iPhone 4 s mod
But the high more sparkle than use Iphone 4 S , because as stand alone DAP Sony WM ZX 1 is bright and detail sounding DAP

I prefer use Sony WM ZX 1 than iPhone 4 s if pair with Sony PHA 2 as transport

IMO

adc0184c7cb5c956b5194c31f46f26ed_zps5bedaf0e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back