Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 13, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #22,171 of 27,141
  I've had couple of orthos.. Yamahas and a Telefunken TH700 which i sold here /

I think that the price is waay to high... 

Not necessarily. I don't price based on age, I do it by sound, and a certain member of my family sounded better than any of the modern offerings in the $5-600 mark and below, despite being over 30 years old.

(that headphone is the NAD RP18 for those who were curious)

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #22,172 of 27,141
Not necessarily. I don't price based on age, I do it by sound, and a certain member of my family sounded better than any of the modern offerings in the $5-600 mark and below, despite being over 30 years old.

(that headphone is the NAD RP18 for those who were curious)

Do you know what the spirit of this thread was? D8
Prices have been rising like crazy lately...

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #22,173 of 27,141
I agree TH700 sounded good.. but  not even close to AH-D2000 or Other Dynamic Hedphones from range 300$+/
I think that i don't like ortho presentation of sound/

Anyone interested in those Technics? I might talk to seller for a price lowering...

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #22,174 of 27,141
  I don't price based on age, I do it by sound, and a certain member of my family sounded better than any of the modern offerings in the $5-600 mark and below, despite being over 30 years old.

Be careful, there, since you may've accidentally chosen some other metric than sound by anchoring yours to someone else's, i.e. the price of modern offerings.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #22,175 of 27,141
Technics T-7 ? that's more than steep for a normal dynamic unless its mint with box and you are a collector. 
 would make a really neat fosterphone for a transplant.

EAH-T7-2.jpg

■ Price \ 7,500
■ A model dynamic semi-open type ■ diaphragm acoustic PEE film ■ impedance 125Ω
■ 20-20,000 Hz frequency band playing
■ permissible input 200mW
■ sensitivity 106dB/1mW
■ Cord 3m
■ (without cord) Weight 200g
■ The oil dumping type ball joint used in 1983-84 around ■ Remarks unit support portion February ■ Discontinued 1980 release

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #22,176 of 27,141

Yamaha YH-1O (open back)

DIY Project: Yamaha YH-1O, open back Yamaha.

-Drilled/Cut out the back of the cups to make fully open back as wide as the driver.
-Replaced baffle side grille cloth with more acoustically transparent material (stretched stocking cloth)
-cut off redundant parts of the frame.
-made 'C' shape cup forks (ala Fostex T50v1) out of brass and drilled holes, used bolts and nuts to reattach the open cups. 
-Filed nuts to make them lower profile and painted brass forks and steel bolts with matte black paint.
-Replaced headband plastic (had 2 cracks. removed original plastic, replaced with a custom cut matte black softer plastic of same shape glued onto original headband suede (original suede cleaned in the washing machine :p).
-Recabled with OFC mogami miniquad and terminated to switchcraft plug.
-use either original pads (worn away pleather), or small circumaural pleather pads.

Was kind a pain making this, took me ages but am quite happy with the results, it looks quite retro chic to me. Its comfy and the Yamaha drivers are great, always liked them free in air.
The sound smooths out a bit in this open form, it feels less jumpy. Still need a slight fine tuning, i think a velour pad set similar to the small circumaural pleather i have here and it will rock even more :). Anyone know where I can find pads like that? (these pleather pads im using temporarily are from my JVC HA-S600).

Pics:

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #22,179 of 27,141

I wonder if the Yamaha drivers are like the HOKs in that if you take the drivers out and leave the back completely bare, no felt or nothing, the imaging is kinda confused?

Nope cant say i think that. Iv never tried HOKs.

Open back yamaha. Impressions?

Dont have a lot of impressions, it just sounds like you take a yamaha YH and stretch the sound out a bit, like its less spikey. bit smoothed out. It still needs tuning ofc to get the damping/bass/treble balance spot on , untill then have to hold off. But its v.nice, i like the yamaha ortho sound (stock is pretty nice too).

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #22,181 of 27,141

Yamaha YH-1O (open back)

-Drilled/Cut out the back of the cups to make fully open back as wide as the driver.
-Replaced baffle side grille cloth with more acoustically transparent material (stretched stocking cloth)
-made 'C' shape cup forks (ala Fostex T50v1) out of brass and drilled holes, used bolts and nuts to reattach the open cups. 
-Filed nuts to make them lower profile and painted brass forks and steel bolts with matte black paint.
-Replaced headband plastic (had 2 cracks. removed original plastic, replaced with a custom cut matte black softer plastic of same shape glued onto original headband suede (original suede cleaned in the washing machine :p).
-use either original pads (worn away pleather), or small circumaural pleather pads.

Was kind a pain making this, took me ages but am quite happy with the results, it looks quite retro chic to me. Its comfy and the Yamaha drivers are great, always liked them free in air.
The sound smooths out a bit in this open form, it feels less jumpy. Still need a slight fine tuning, i think a velour pad set similar to the small circumaural pleather i have here and it will rock even more :). Anyone know where I can find pads like that? (these pleather pads im using temporarily are from my JVC HA-S600).

Pics:

Excellent. Love how they fold. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #22,182 of 27,141
nice mod Kabeer..
i used to have an aniso HP1 as well before sell it and replace em with T10..
72mm pads would suit them just fine..and will suit on the T10 as well..
its a Sony BT101 replacement pads but too bad its a velour, not pleather..

i purchase that pads cheaply from ebay, a blind purchase..
maybe you want to try a replacement pads for AKG K518/81dj on ebay..
i thought its about the same size..:wink:

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #22,183 of 27,141

Yamaha YH-1O (open back)

Pics:

Looks cool, what is the difference in sound when you use different pads?

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #22,184 of 27,141

Yamaha YH-1O (open back)

[rule]DIY Project: Yamaha YH-1O, open back Yamaha.

Pics:

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
 [COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
 [COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

I like the C Forks. Does fully open make the effort worthwhile?

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #22,185 of 27,141
oh you...you...YOU. Now the urge to put a Realistic Pro30 through ruination and try the open backed version of those, white crap damper removed of course.
On the lookout. Oh for the prices of yore. What happened to the $50 days. that's about all they are worth. You HEAR ME FLEABAY that's all they are worth
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back