Orthodynamic Roundup
Feb 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #21,061 of 27,137
Has anybody actually heard a pair of Yh-1000's? Almost Sasquatch or monster of the Loch Ness like it seems. Maybe they aren't even real, just a crazy late night story to scare those headphoned crazed people who will go to any length to have the cans built with unobtainium magnets and carbon fibre reinforced bands lol. How different can they really be than a venerable ol' set of Yh-100's?

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #21,062 of 27,137
Quote:

Where is the cup vent located? 
When you say the midbass is missing, can you say roughly what frequency it falls at? 

vent is on the forward edge of the cup. I've always been terrible at estimating frequencies and I haven't run any test tones through them to isolate the problem. I definitely have deep bass. I put on some very dubby Jah Wobble and my brain was vibrating
smile.gif
 I would say the sound is of the "ting-boom" variety, not very technical but pretty descriptive.

@ nick n, I'll pm you regarding the filter paper.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #21,066 of 27,137
I believe it's common practice to not post current auctions in here, but I guess the guy is expecting +1 grand as that other doofus is asking $2K for a busted pair anyway. Or are you the seller? What's the reserve price?

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #21,068 of 27,137
Quote:
vent is on the forward edge of the cup. I've always been terrible at estimating frequencies and I haven't run any test tones through them to isolate the problem. I definitely have deep bass. I put on some very dubby Jah Wobble and my brain was vibrating
smile.gif
 I would say the sound is of the "ting-boom" variety, not very technical but pretty descriptive.

Reducing the cup vents and adding the baffle vent should decrease some of that bass. I'm guessing that longhair is adding a lot of bloom in the bottom end. Still probably want some actual acoustic foam in there to soak up the treble as well. That's just my guesses though.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #21,069 of 27,137
I need to dig in there but I believe I lined the cups with 1/4" closed cell foam from Michaels. I think a deflector behind the driver, like the "energy dome" I mentioned previously would not be out of order.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #21,070 of 27,137
Quote:
Yeah i had to quote that picture again :)
Too cool not to.

The only way i can see they did that is countersinking where top the pin top seats in for swivelling, then right through the middle of the headband end there, then next putting the pin through and in place with a bit of glue on the very tip,  and pushing that back into the cup mounting hole.

Make sense?  Pretty good considering really.

Basically that's the process I imagined. Though without the glue; there's little to no traces of glue inside the cups. It's just that the metal mesh is pretty tight fitting so I'd have to bend parts of it to remove the pin.

I also need to get a more solid fix for the headband, seeing the non-pictured side is cracked where the pin meets.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #21,071 of 27,137
Quote:
I believe it's common practice to not post current auctions in here, but I guess the guy is expecting +1 grand as that other doofus is asking $2K for a busted pair anyway. Or are you the seller? What's the reserve price?

I believe he's reserve price is 900 euros.  Still crazy price, one might get and HE-6 or HD-800 for that amount. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #21,072 of 27,137
Quote:
I need to dig in there but I believe I lined the cups with 1/4" closed cell foam from Michaels. I think a deflector behind the driver, like the "energy dome" I mentioned previously would not be out of order.

Indeed it wouldn't, so long as it broke up the symmetry of those aluminum cups. Remember: Wherever possible, diffuse, diffract, absorb.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #21,073 of 27,137
Quote:
Has anybody actually heard a pair of Yh-1000's? Almost Sasquatch or monster of the Loch Ness like it seems. Maybe they aren't even real, just a crazy late night story to scare those headphoned crazed people who will go to any length to have the cans built with unobtainium magnets and carbon fibre reinforced bands lol. How different can they really be than a venerable ol' set of Yh-100's?

Quote:

Unfortunately I am not the seller and I have just put the link for jeffrocc & as he said just to point that they do exist.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #21,074 of 27,137
Quote:
Indeed it wouldn't, so long as it broke up the symmetry of those aluminum cups. Remember: Wherever possible, diffuse, diffract, absorb.

Maybe mount some acoustic foam vertically so it sorta cuts the cup into chambers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back