Orthodynamic Roundup
Feb 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #21,076 of 27,141
Oh for the days of cardboard egg containers. 

I was actually thinking of spray on expanding insulation foam and using some irregular object to jam in it as a mold to give some irregularity. Anyone ever tried the spray foam?

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #21,077 of 27,141
I suppose you could line the entire cup bottom of your choice with saran/plastic food wrap then spray the stuff in ( spray foams ) and get the exact shape for the fit, then carve away whatever you didn't want or to whichever shape you want. Might work.  The outside of that stuff is usually shiny after it dries if i recall, but I forget what the insides are like after you get past the outer layer. Might be nicely full of cavities.
Cadbury Crunchie style holes. There I go again with the Crunchies what's up with that.

Something using the rough handmade large-fibre paper sheets in an accordian fold might do the trick also, never did try that.
 I ripped apart a respirator filter ( got charcoal everywhere ) and extracted a circular accordian-style disc made from very soft and delicate  paper fibres that looks like an interesting possibility which is why I thought about the handmade papers. A lot cheaper .
Just throwing it out there.

GREQ: can you take a picture of the front side of those 2 headphones from the baffle/ear side views please when you feel like it.

I am curious . Also do they have a whitish cover over the driver on that side also?

And thanks for taking the time to post pics and your experiments so far with them.
I forget if you ever found out what the impedances are for the drivers?
And is the other one also strange with the offset holes when you look through them?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #21,078 of 27,141
Quote:
I believe he's reserve price is 900 euros.  Still crazy price, one might get and HE-6 or HD-800 for that amount. 

Reserve price was 500€, and it went for $1.3K...hoochie mama!  "From now on, I am breaking all the rules, because desperate men do desperate deeds" as they said in one of my top 5 fav movies(Revolver
happy_face1.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #21,079 of 27,141
Quote:
Oh for the days of cardboard egg containers. 

I was actually thinking of spray on expanding insulation foam and using some irregular object to jam in it as a mold to give some irregularity. Anyone ever tried the spray foam?

It's messy stuff to work with, but it's pretty easy to cut/carve afterwards. Those cans are one shot deals though. So you're pretty much wasting the whole can unless you have some household use for it afterwards. 

Either way, I don't think you'd want to eat up all the space in the cup... but it would offer a unique opportunity to explore the effect of cup volume on the drivers. Fill it up, test it, spoon some out, test again, repeat. 

I've read comments in a few places that cup size/shape doesn't really matter that much; it's the volume that matters more. Anyone have comments on that? I can see that point from the bass perspective (particularly for anything below the Helmholtz resonance). For the treble I'm not so sure... as I've read that some consider treble as direct reflections off the surfaces, while a few other spots have said that for such small enclosures you actually treat the chamber as a uniform pressure source. Hmm. 
size]

(sorry I can't actually quote the sources; these are just the bits and pieces of memory floating in my head)

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #21,080 of 27,141
Quote:
It's messy stuff to work with, but it's pretty easy to cut/carve afterwards. Those cans are one shot deals though. So you're pretty much wasting the whole can unless you have some household use for it afterwards. 

Either way, I don't think you'd want to eat up all the space in the cup... but it would offer a unique opportunity to explore the effect of cup volume on the drivers. Fill it up, test it, spoon some out, test again, repeat. 

I've read comments in a few places that cup size/shape doesn't really matter that much; it's the volume that matters more. Anyone have comments on that? I can see that point from the bass perspective (particularly for anything below the Helmholtz resonance). For the treble I'm not so sure... as I've read that some consider treble as direct reflections off the surfaces, while a few other spots have said that for such small enclosures you actually treat the chamber as a uniform pressure source. Hmm. 
size]

(sorry I can't actually quote the sources; these are just the bits and pieces of memory floating in my head)

Treble can suffer dramatically in any enclosure from my understanding. Shorter the wavelength the less power to overcome any obstacle (including air, The live recording guys go nuts over that one). High energy bass is pretty much immune but can be reflected to tramp on other frequencies.I I think Borwick's Loudpeaker and Headphone handbook touches on that but I would not quote that as my source as I am not certain.
The cans we get up here (Canada) are multi use, but you really have to clean the nozzle off with acetone or some other solvent immediately after use. Acetone should also be the safety net for overfilled cups:)
Quote:
I suppose you could line the entire cup bottom of your choice with saran/plastic food wrap then spray the stuff in ( spray foams ) and get the exact shape for the fit, then carve away whatever you didn't want or to whichever shape you want. Might work.  The outside of that stuff is usually shiny after it dries if i recall, but I forget what the insides are like after you get past the outer layer. Might be nicely full of cavities.
Cadbury Crunchie style holes. There I go again with the Crunchies what's up with that.

Something using the rough handmade large-fibre paper sheets in an accordian fold might do the trick also, never did try that.
 I ripped apart a respirator filter ( got charcoal everywhere ) and extracted a circular accordian-style disc made from very soft and delicate  paper fibres that looks like an interesting possibility which is why I thought about the handmade papers. A lot cheaper .
Just throwing it out there.

Damn You! I had a brief addiction for Crunchie Bars as a kid, now I've got a full blown jones on for one!
That is pretty much the texture of the foam once you get past the surface.
  Could have saved yourself the charcoal mess and bought a cheap automotive oil or air filter.:)

I'm still partial to the foam though as you could spray it, then push some vaseling coated template/mold into it to achieve whatever surface texture or shape you want. If I wasn't totally obsessed with the incredible sound to be gotten out of 10 dollar Phillips Earclips at the moment I might be tempted to dig out the skullcandy hemis (good lord, watch them start marketing Thant name next, the horror, the horror) and have a go at them and the fujis again.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #21,081 of 27,141
Quote:
The cans we get up here (Canada) are multi use, but you really have to clean the nozzle off with acetone or some other solvent immediately after use. Acetone should also be the safety net for overfilled cups:)

The only spray foam ones I've picked up need to use that straw applicator thing, which is pretty much shot after the first use. Are there other kinds that don't need the straw?

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #21,082 of 27,141
Here's the word from DOW

Here’s what Dow tech support suggested about keeping a can reusable:
“One-component foams as GREAT STUFF(TM) do not lend themselves to re-use. Once a can has been used and allowed to sit for more than two hours, it will seal itself shut. This is indicated on the can’s label.
“It is possible to preserve a can of GREAT STUFF polyurethane foam sealant. Insert a pipe cleaner, soaked with WD-40, into the attached applicator straw (do not remove straw from can). Leave the pipe cleaner sticking out of the applicator straw approximately 1/4 inch. This has to be done within two hours of use. The WD-40 soaked pipe cleaner may preserve the can up to 30 days.”

On the pop off applicator cans, swish the applicator around in acetone for a few seconds and it will clear up. Use the WD 40 trick on the can nozzle and your good.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #21,084 of 27,141
I think I finally figured out what Peerless/Magnat attempted to do with the RT-10 (etc...).

I was holding the driver to my ear, enjoying the natural sound, and fine sounding bass that appears. Then I realized that this probably was what they tried to do with the suspension-in-air design.  Although, it didn't quite work (at least not after all those years since the headphone was made...), because the ears still don't rest directly on the drivers.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #21,086 of 27,141
Quote:
Incidentally, I was just holding the HOK drivers to my ears. Didn't sound fine this time, either.

I thought the HOK drivers sounded quite OK when in the headset together with really dense ear pads and some treatment of the terribly designed cups. But uncomfortable.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #21,088 of 27,141
 Hok v1 I find to have some bass no doubt about it though it could be this damping configuration. From most earlier impressions I wasn't expecting much if any.
it might also be the improved amplification I am providing it .
 Only reason I mention this is my utter surprise at them after using them again, not seen use in months.   I need to redo the sealer/ putty it reacts with copper i noticed, so some other method should do it.

Those Magnats are one of the things I regretted not grabbing when i had a chance.  Not sure who ended up with them.

So you are saying that if the driver was forward more, as much as possible to the ears, it would be best?
 Are we talking tiny amounts of difference or more?
 Just in case another rears it's head soon.
For some reason I know not, they are in my list of must-own-one-day cans. Convince me I don't need them. Help.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back