Orthodynamic Roundup
Feb 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #21,031 of 27,141
Quote:
Vid how are those sounding now minus the cup?

It seems that the more you take the baffle and cup out of the way, the more neutral they sound. Given how fast Sennheiser introduced the 2002 model (with a modified cup) after the 2000, it's probably not a bad guess to make that the cup design on the 2000 wasn't even close to optimal, or even decent.

Curiously, bass extension didn't suffer when the cup was taken off. Doesn't start dipping until about 35 Hz. Treble isn't as harsh as before, but I attached a foam disc directly to the back of the driver - might have something to do with it. Soundstage is a bit more open, no surprise there.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #21,032 of 27,141
Quote:
Drakkard: Awesome photo's, man. Thanks a lot for the opportunity to familiarize with a different perspective.

Care to divulge what your avatar is a picture of? Looks pretty.
popcorn.gif

Thats a car audio ortho tweeter from some local Kiev company. Basically same people, who made that Amfiton 25.
http://img14.slando.by/images_slandoby/61881091_1_1000x700_ortodinamicheskie-tvitery-pischalki-vch-dinamiki-cs-3045-minsk.jpg
http://autozvuk.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=562&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1354531082
http://autozvuk.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=560&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1354531082

Quote:
Sounds encouraging-- it's risky to attempt open-back, but there are other pitfalls attending vented-closed, and it sounds like you stepped around them nicely.

As for the name, I suggest hyphenating the heck out of it: CrossTex-FosFade, or even CrossTex-FosFade: The Headphone.

Ahahah, thats cuute

Quote:
Aha! So it's flat, single-sided and clamped in the center. That makes it similar to the TDS-16 driver (and no others that I'm aware of). Nearly unique.

Hm, never thought all other orthos was corrugated, nice

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #21,033 of 27,141
Quote:
There are different versions of TDS-15 (revisions). Basically:
1. Earliest version, non-corrugated diaphragm, driver parts hold together by screws. Metallic protective plate at the back is placed along the magnets
2. Non-corrugated diaphragm, driver parts hold together by clips. Metallic protective plate at the back is placed across the magnets (for better sound, need to rotate it)
3. Same as #2, but with corrugated diaphragm
4. Something in-between 2 and 3 (half-corrugated). Possibly a defect.

Corrugated diaphragm have a bit more bass, but non-corrugated seems to provide flatter response and better micro-details. Variant #4 is something in-between the two.

This is very interesting. Is it possible to tell from the outside of a TDS-15 what version of the driver it has inside?

For instance, this one?

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #21,034 of 27,141
Quote:

This is very interesting. Is it possible to tell from the outside of a TDS-15 what version of the driver it has inside?

For instance, this one?

The prints of the name might play a big role in it. See mines for example (excuse me for the messy desk, as usual):

The one on the left has no symbols at all around amfiton (I'm assuming that's what the word there is).
The right one has a circle on both sides of amfiton.
Yours has one marking to the left of amfiton.

Though curiously, Drakkard, had there ever been any record of TDS-15's with the headband on the left? or should we assume it was someone's DIY job? (I replaced the earpads and cables)

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #21,035 of 27,141
Kalbee pretty sure I have the exact same two models as you do ( but both same headband as the grey ones ) . Would love to hear what comes of this.

Thanks for posting the pics I was too busy tonight to get mine posted

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #21,037 of 27,141
Quote:
Though curiously, Drakkard, had there ever been any record of TDS-15's with the headband on the left? or should we assume it was someone's DIY job? (I replaced the earpads and cables)

That's definitely a diy.
Note new ear cushions too.
You can check photos of stock headphones here - https://unsorted.me/weblog_entry.php?e=73125
Quote:

For instance, this one?

As far as I know - no. They was made on two factories, but that does not reflects on driver construction.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #21,038 of 27,141
Quote:
That's definitely a diy.
Note new ear cushions too.
You can check photos of stock headphones here - https://unsorted.me/weblog_entry.php?e=73125
As far as I know - no. They was made on two factories, but that does not reflects on driver construction.

Interesting, I wonder how the person managed to fix the cups on the headband.
I was the one that put that ear cushion and new cable (not really shown in picture), but the headband was like this when I received it.
Thanks for the picture link :wink:

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #21,042 of 27,141
oh the YH-1000 dropped in price then
bigsmile_face.gif

I wonder if there is corrosion on the driver traces in this one.

Kalbee i would be curious to see their attachment method for the aftermarket headband whenever you get around to it.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #21,044 of 27,141
I did not listen to TDS-16. People report they are aggressive, but not bright. Good and fast upper bass, but lacking part of middle and low. That makes them good for Metal - guitars and such.
TDS-7 is good with macrodynamics, sort of big sound with somewhat deep (but not wide) sound stage. It have thick diaphragm, I believe it is the reason for this sound signature. Also, this is the most uncomfortable headphones in the universe =)
TDS-15 seems best both of them in details retrieval, instrument separation, and sense of air, but lacking bass in stock form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back