Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #20,356 of 27,141
fe2cruz - What was wrong with the stock pads? A leather(ette) ear pad will most likely give you more bass.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855451-REG/Shure_HPAEC550_replacement_ear_cushions_for.html
Those have roughly a 90mm outer diameter. You might want to check because I'm not sure how well these would fit your T20's.

As for the amplifier, as long as it gets loud enough you should be alright. I think your Sherwood is probably treating you just fine. Hooking a T20 up to the speaker terminals of an amp sounds a bit extreme to me. I wouldn't think about doing this with my T10's. I mean I don't think it could hurt anything, but you got a quarter-inch TRS jack already, so stick it into something and see if it sounds good. That's just my opinion, of course.

I think the T50RP's can be pretty bass-monstrous. That said, and I've never heard a T20v2, I have a feeling I'd keep the T20 and sell the T50RP. Again, though, that's just me. 

Good luck.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #20,357 of 27,141
Thanks for the Tips!
Quote:
fe2cruz - What was wrong with the stock pads? A leather(ette) ear pad will most likely give you more bass.

My ears take in bass better with the bigger round circumaural openings like those from sextets.
The stock pads were too thin and on ear supra-aural for me. Probably fine for some ears but weren't
as comfortable for me. Its not that I don't get the bass, I just can't crank it up as much as 
my DT150 and SR850. Which in the summer can be nice to drown out the AC and fan 
noise.

As for the amplifier, as long as it gets loud enough you should be alright. I think your Sherwood is probably treating you just fine.

After another proper night with the Amp and t20v2 I've finally found some better settings. I put my room fans
on low to kill the environment sounds too. By turning off the Loudness button to my Sherwood, and then setting the tone knobs 12O'clock for bass and treble and not letting the volume go past 11O'clock I found
the perfect output for symphonic synthetic music and movies. The Fostex can't get as loud as the DT150
or Samson with these genres, but I'm starting to think the limited frequency stats of the t20v2 just distorts
at louder volumes earlier than the t40 & T50 with their slightly deeper frequency responses. The amazing
details in exchange for slightly lower listening volumes is probably a healthier sacrifice to make for my
ears anyway.

Now I'm thinking I want to find a really powerful portable amp to bring my Fostex to meetups and help
me compare and further refine these special Orthodynamics of mine.

From other threads it seems the Ibasso PB2 might be the best for power hungry cans.
The Samson  HA3D also sounds promising.
http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-ha3d-amplifier/
Any other portable or small head amps available out there with lots of power?

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #20,358 of 27,141
Quote:
1) The stock pads were too thin and on ear supra-aural for me.

2) Now I'm thinking I want to find a really powerful portable amp to bring my Fostex to meetups and help
me compare and further refine these special Orthodynamics of mine. Any other portable or small head amps available out there with lots of power?

1) Ah, I feel you there. Still, some pleather circumaural pads might give you more bass. You're using K240 velour pads? The Stock SR850 pads should be pretty much exactly the same size so you could try those if you haven't already. I think rolling different pads can change the sound about as much as anything else. They are a very important variable, and many times hard to get right when the stock pads are old and tired/missing/uncomfortable/etc.

2) It's expensive, but the Triad Audio Lisa III sounded superb to me, and not only for a portable. When comparing it to other portables it sounded phenomenal, imo. I can only imagine what the L3 is like. Apart from that, what about a Stepdance?
http://www.practicaldevices.com/
These look interesting, too.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #20,359 of 27,141
Special thanks to khbaur for pointing these out to me as they were just one or two listings beyond what I had searched that particular day. Never showed in the auto searches due to massive mislabelling both with lack of description and super long model number posted.
Beautiful when that happens.

Price paid you don't wanna know I'll just say extremely worthwhile.
I was the only bidder once again.

These and my other two8710's are possibly the only MCS pairs on here, ( total of 3 known owned sets ) but anyone who owns the Technics820 will essentially have these exact same8720 ones internally at least.
Multi Component Systems  house brand of JC Penny.
Linear Drive model8720.

As usual they simply added a lucky number 7 into their Technics oem'd lineup here.
8710= Technics810,
8720= Technics820.

No question about it.  That means of course, well... those who know about the Technics models can fill in the blanks.

Had to pull the stock pads as usual but they are the exact same dimensions as the8710's I have. A tiny bit of metal polish needed on the sliding bands there.
Same black housing more or less but a difference in the metal headband ( yep all metal there must be aluminum ). As you can see the tiny venting holes are in this one's rear chamber back also. Just look closely at the raised pattern and you'll see them in between those things.
These of course use the larger rectangular magnets vs the810/8710's 63 ohm Sfi size drivers. Unsure of these with regards to resistance rating.

Sonic impressions to follow in a bit I haven't settled in from work even these took priority.

quite a difference between the two models:

I edited the above to slap the name and model # together maybe it will obfuscate searches and keep what's left out there reasonable.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #20,362 of 27,141
It should give us hope there are still some different undiscovered ones yet.
 The odd K7 pmb thing comes to mind that was unearthed a few months back, the thing that looked open but was a fake rear grille.
Also if you think about the Technics models, there was another,  maybe....
wink_face.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #20,364 of 27,141
There's also these newly arrived from japan, at first cheap but factoring in further costs such as fees and shipping etc an ok deal but barely. OK I admit it not really.

Trouble is they smell terrible, apparently this musty mouldy smell is common with some things even guitars which a pal gets a fair amount of from there.
 Smells like stale old wet magazine/paper, the sort of smell I just know contains billions of spores it's that bad. Even after a half decent wipedown. If I recall I may not be the only one who has had this issue? Suggestions for stuff that actually works for that mould smell?

Looks like they may become driver donors and aside from the obvious re-cabling needed, the build, the way they open without screws, colour scheme and size is simply excellent, too bad. I'll think on that a bit first. The white paper of course and the pads are the first things to forget about.

The 8720:  khbaur found it and deserves the credit there but he has an 820 already so was nice enough to fill me in since I had posted that thing on these before, to be on the lookout.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #20,365 of 27,141
Yep, JC Penney used a lot of Technics stuff in their MCS component audio line. Those of us in the US have to be pretty old nowadays to remember when Penney stores had hardware, camera, audio and even candy departments.

I should check the vintage-receivers-as-headphone-amps thread to see if anyone's using MCS gear...

Oh, and here's hoping you find the 8730!

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #20,366 of 27,141
Quote:
Yep, JC Penney used a lot of Technics stuff in their MCS component audio line. Those of us in the US have to be pretty old nowadays to remember when Penney stores had hardware, camera, audio and even candy departments.

I should check the vintage-receivers-as-headphone-amps thread to see if anyone's using MCS gear...

I have been eyeing some of those MCS integrated amps and receivers up for months now, some NICE stuff. Off to look again.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #20,367 of 27,141
Quote:
Trouble is they smell terrible, apparently this musty mouldy smell is common with some things even guitars which a pal gets a fair amount of from there.
 Smells like stale old wet magazine/paper, the sort of smell I just know contains billions of spores it's that bad. Even after a half decent wipedown. If I recall I may not be the only one who has had this issue? Suggestions for stuff that actually works for that mould smell?

I received some headphones once that had a bad cigarette smoke to them. What worked best for me was wiping down the surfaces with diluted vinegar. I also tried the coffee trick: wrap some coffee grounds in a filter or cloth, put that at the bottom of a big ziplock bag and put your stuff on top, let sit for a couple days.

With a bit of finagling you can also do vinegar in a bag, but you'll have to rig up something to prevent your stuff from sitting in the vinegar. What I did was soak a paper towel in vinegar and put that in the bag, then carefully hung the headphone above it within the bag with a clamp. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #20,370 of 27,141
ID1 but i can't upload pictures on my ipad.. Go to my account and go to the thread pictures of your desktop rig or something like that you can see it on the last post. And here's a picture of them on google http://www.google.be/search?q=wharfedale+isodynamic+headphones&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=96k2UPiPH4y20QXxlYCADg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|2;d|gkxjvAg8Rk-ugM: sad to see how age 'destroyed' these beautiful can.. But it still sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back