Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #20,176 of 27,185
Quote:
I know RD is too humble to post this himself  , but kudos for doing such a great job. These are measurements done by Purrin who dedicates many of his precious hours to further our interest and understanding .

YH1

index.php

index.php

YH3

index.php

index.php

These graphs tell us what we have always held true for these vintage orthos and it is a testament to many hours of fine tuning that we see such a flat frequency response.

congrats and thanks guys ..dB

What wonderful graphs, makes my heart all warm. The YH1 has the anisotropic driver, right? I remember there was a lively disussion as to its sound compared to the regular HP1 driver. Did you ever draw any conclusion, Wualta? The YH3 is similar to the HP3/HP50 and confirms what I'm hearing. Question is how much the termite housing influences the response.

About the magnets, I checked my HP1s, and also their serial numbers. Both are anisotropic.

HP1 from Germany 682645
HP1 from Sweden 120693

The serial numbers are probably encoded, for instance one digit for year, one for decade, one for model and the rest for number of headphones made. This is a common practice in manufacturing. Any former Yamaha employee reading this?

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #20,177 of 27,185
ahhh those pads, just look at those things.  I think the Pro30 deserves them.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #20,178 of 27,185
Quote:

Thanks iQEM. You got me looking for new pads on eBay and I found a really nice deal bundling some stuff from seller go_me05. These pads aren't THE BEST, but for the price and for my application they're a relative bargain. I wouldn't hesitate buying another pair from him if I ever need something for a future DIY project. Perhaps some of the larger ATH-M50 or RP-DH1200 pads would be nice for something.

I'm using this pads for Grundig GDHS 224 and one SFI based project and have to confirm: they are real nice and comfy. Better than 'Sony V150-type' pads (thin and soft plather, cheap looking) and most 'AKG K518-type' (thicker plather, not that soft. commonly used, ie AKG K240, Sony V700 etc).  For that price - must have.  
Mine were bought from user http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/2010-pc-gaming/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #20,179 of 27,185
Quote:

I'm using this pads for Grundig GDHS 224 and one SFI based project and have to confirm: they are real nice and comfy. Better than 'Sony V150-type' pads (thin and soft plather, cheap looking) and most 'AKG K518-type' (thicker plather, not that soft. commonly used, ie AKG K240, Sony V700 etc).  For that price - must have.  
Mine were bought from user http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/2010-pc-gaming/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

I see where you're coming from. Your pads even have a nice thick pleather backing (the part that doesn't touch your ear) which will give needed support for proper bass response. How long have you been using these? My only concern is durability. After facial oils and sweat get onto the pads and the extremely thin vinyl (while it provides a very nice seal when new) is stressed from regular use it could eventually rip and flake. Whatever's in me doesn't like the idea of having spares on hand in case that ever happens. My only gripe with the pads I linked/are on my AT-707 is the relatively stiff foam. It's comfortable for a few hours, but still, I'm hoping the foam will wear in and get better with use. Time will tell I suppose, in both cases.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #20,180 of 27,185
Quote:
I see where you're coming from. Your pads even have a nice thick pleather backing (the part that doesn't touch your ear) which will give needed support for proper bass response. How long have you been using these? My only concern is durability. After facial oils and sweat get onto the pads and the extremely thin vinyl (while it provides a very nice seal when new) is stressed from regular use it could eventually rip and flake. Whatever's in me doesn't like the idea of having spares on hand in case that ever happens. My only gripe with the pads I linked/are on my AT-707 is the relatively stiff foam. It's comfortable for a few hours, but still, I'm hoping the foam will wear in and get better with use. Time will tell I suppose, in both cases.

To be precise, I have two pairs of ESW9-size pads. One came from seller linked in previous post, second from fake ESW9. Both looks and acts very alike, most probably came from the same source. Plather is exactly the same. 
Pair removed from fake ESW9 have 1.5 year of use, ~10-15 hours/weeks average. They looks like new, no damages. Inner foam does get softer after some time, it is perfect currently.
Pair from seller linked above have 2 week right now and spend ~5 hours on head, but I'm pretty sure, that quality is the same. Not exactly close to genuine Stax O2 leather pads, but similar or better than most mid-fi headphones.
IMHO you do not have to worry about they durability that much, they should least for few years. Even if not - it is few buck to get new one. And they are worth that, more comfy and sound better than most pads I have tried... :) 

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #20,181 of 27,185

Quote:

Quote:

To be precise, I have two pairs of ESW9-size pads. One came from seller linked in previous post, second from fake ESW9. Both looks and acts very alike, most probably came from the same source. Plather is exactly the same. 
Pair removed from fake ESW9 have 1.5 year of use, ~10-15 hours/weeks average. They looks like new, no damages. Inner foam does get softer after some time, it is perfect currently.
Pair from seller linked above have 2 week right now and spend ~5 hours on head, but I'm pretty sure, that quality is the same. Not exactly close to genuine Stax O2 leather pads, but similar or better than most mid-fi headphones.
IMHO you do not have to worry about they durability that much, they should least for few years. Even if not - it is few buck to get new one. And they are worth that, more comfy and sound better than most pads I have tried... :) 

I bought similar pads from UK and I mine were a bit fragile. See picture. They seem to flake easily and should be handled with care. Pleather is thicker than the Hong Kong/China V150 pads.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #20,182 of 27,185
Tbh, I have very little idea which pads we're talking about anymore. Seems like all three of us have different things in mind. :/ Nw. Good pads are good pads.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #20,183 of 27,185
Quote:
Tbh, I have very little idea which pads we're talking about anymore. Seems like all three of us have different things in mind. :/ Nw. Good pads are good pads.

All three of us have copies of ATH ESW9 pads. I have two pairs from two sources, both looks the same. MDR30 have pair from same source as one of mine pairs, you have from different, but I bet, that they all came from same factory. Even if not, they are very similar to each other.

Quote:

I bought similar pads from UK and I mine were a bit fragile. See picture. They seem to flake easily and should be handled with care. Pleather is thicker than the Hong Kong/China V150 pads.

Write to seller - he should replace it with new one without question.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #20,184 of 27,185
Quote:
All three of us have copies of ATH ESW9 pads. I have two pairs from two sources, both looks the same. MDR30 have pair from same source as one of mine pairs, you have from different, but I bet, that they all came from same factory. Even if not, they are very similar to each other.  

Write to seller - he should replace it with new one without question.

Oh, no worries, the guy was very friendly and sent me a replacement. But when I stretched them on a Sony headphone one of the pads cracked. They look very nice but does not sound as neutral as the V150 pads on the Sony V4. Bass is a bit exaggerated and stereo picture somewhat cavernous. Have yet to try them on an ortho.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #20,185 of 27,185
Quote:

What wonderful graphs, makes my heart all warm. The YH1 has the anisotropic driver, right? I remember there was a lively disussion as to its sound compared to the regular HP1 driver. Did you ever draw any conclusion, Wualta? The YH3 is similar to the HP3/HP50 and confirms what I'm hearing. Question is how much the termite housing influences the response.

Any former Yamaha employee reading this?

I was never able to discern a difference between the iso and aniso drivers that couldn't be just as easily attributed to production variation. But greater sensitivity is almost always good.

Killing the reflective surface behind the driver by the use of termites probably helped keep that small, very broad hump you can see in the upper mids/treble (1k to about 8k) under control. Careful choice and liberal use of sound absorbing material undoubtedly helped too. That's a very enjoyable headphone and very neutral-sounding. And get a load of that waterfall graph.   ...I haven't heard the YH-1 but the curve looks delicious.

The Yamaha designers were all ninjas. If they've appeared, we haven't seen them or heard them. I'm still waiting, but I'm not hopeful.

Quote:
ahhh those pads, just look at those things.  I think the Pro30 deserves them.

Those are very nice-looking pads, and yes, I believe you're right. It's too bad pads have to be heavy, but after all, they're part of the earpieces, so they have to fill in for solid plastic or wood. I don't know of any way around that if you want max bass.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #20,186 of 27,185
Thanks iQEM. You got me looking for new pads on eBay and I found a really nice deal bundling some stuff from seller go_me05. These pads aren't THE BEST, but for the price and for my application they're a relative bargain. I wouldn't hesitate buying another pair from him if I ever need something for a future DIY project. Perhaps some of the larger ATH-M50 or RP-DH1200 pads would be nice for something.

anytime khb, anyway i did some update on the material damp inside my T30..
here it is...
img4452e.jpg

familiar ?
img4467p.jpg

replace the rockwool using the yellow "nu material" one...
img4469q.jpg

close-up...
img4471x.jpg

both cup using it...

impression ? too metallic now to my ears, like the rockwool more...
i think this yellow glasswool are more suit on the bassy&roll-off high type of cans than my T30...
so, i think i'm gonna swap back to using the old & good rockwool than this "nu material"...

*UPDATE*
it seems i speak too soon about this yellow glasswool, i use the disc too thick before...
after using (half density from before) thinner layer of yellow glasswool, the bass had cameback BUT still the high notes still over dominant for my ears though... :)

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #20,187 of 27,185
Quote:

Sorry, but to be explicit, are those ebay pads you linked the ones you used on the 707? I could use some for my 120R SFI transplant 706. Also still need to buy some replacement pads for my Koss ESP6.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #20,188 of 27,185
Jul 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #20,189 of 27,185
Quote:

Sorry, but to be explicit, are those ebay pads you linked the ones you used on the 707? I could use some for my 120R SFI transplant 706. Also still need to buy some replacement pads for my Koss ESP6.

Yup, the pads I linked are the ones in the photos. I must admit the foam is a little stiff. Still comfortable on the "feather light" AT-703 frame for about as long as any supra-aural, I won't retract that statement, but I am still hoping these break in a bit. Also -and I'm not sure if I should be saying this, but I will anyway- eBay seller go_me05 gave me a discount when I bundled two other items with these pads. If you send him a message asking him what he can do for you if you buy two or more pairs he'll probably shave a $5 off, or something. They arrive reasonably quick, too, considering where he's located. Good luck.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #20,190 of 27,185
Quote:
Dyaems: Ever think about slapping some sound absorbing foam (creatology?) onto the inside of the housings and maybe some polystuff/angel hair as a filler? It just sucks that that would cripple the aesthetics a bit. So cool that you can see the drivers, imo. Nj on the mods.

Thanks. I am still "burning-in" the drivers so I will actually do that at some point. Also, I am still thinking how to cover the cups with something (and still look good) in case I need to do more dampening inside the cups to get the sound that I want. If it doesn't work, there is always other headphone frames here with smaller driver cup size ala- ATH ES7/ESW9 and the likes.

Another problem is that I currently have a hearing imbalance (left ear sounds as if there is something that covers it when im listening) for an unknown reason and I am still monitoring whether it will go away or not if I dont use headphones or iems for a week. I don't want to mod headphones that will end with channel imbalance, which I think is hard to fix. haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back