Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #18,391 of 27,137
 Ah. Thanks for the link to the Acousti. I wonder if you can get it in agouti.  Yes, some of the Pro 30's outer vents are very nearly but not quite covered by the decorative aluminum "hubcap", and I've seen examples where I could no longer see light twinkling through-- the hubcap had covered them completely. Just another damned inconsistency. I suppose if the vents really are microscopic, there's no need to damp them with felt.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #18,392 of 27,137
Man, ortho drivers in an Ultrasone shell are kinda weird, but fun... this requires more experimentation. (pics and build thread to follow shortly)

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #18,393 of 27,137

Quote:
Man, ortho drivers in an Ultrasone shell are kinda weird, but fun... this requires more experimentation. (pics and build thread to follow shortly)

Oh yeah! How did you approach it so far? Or is that seckrit StUff? Can't wait for the pictures. I'm apparently discouraged and close to banned for mine :)

I went in to quell some fatiguing factor in that above mod, and used a teased cotton ball layer maybe I dunno less than half of a cotton ball ( probably less even ). It was so miniscule I didn't think it would work but it did.  Had to add the tiniest bit more and then the things are at a sweet spot. It didn't drop bass, detail is up to really high levels, took care of the "resonances" I guess they were.
 I'm talking hardly any cotton,  as in an almost completely transparent layer especially under the light.
Didn't think it would do anything with that much but dangit if it didn't have an obviously noticable effect.  Unless I had heard it for myself,

Curious if anyone else experienced this zone between too much and too little cotton to be so small?

Someone should harvest dust bunnies and sell them in here. I bet someone HAS tried dryer lint haven't they.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #18,394 of 27,137
yeah not got a new camera yet it'll have to do.

Quick update on the PRO30 irritation.
These have to be one of the easiest to work on physically, but a real PIA to nail down for some reason.

The last mod , the one with the bad photos, I felt was a bit too muffled, lacked detail, and not as much bass as it should have had. That Acousti stuff has far reaching effects that way. Not much needed at all and in the proper spot ideally.
 " A little dab' ll do ya" - Old shool teacher talking about glue. I really don't want to think about how long ago that was. Scary.
Directly behind the driver was simply too much for the sound. Soaked it up.

Instead I went for a long walk and came beck to pull that Acousti disc and the ring of felt out of the cup backs, replacing it with a donut of Acousti instead to let the driver breathe. Probably doing a good job of covering what there is of the tiny badge vents.
Left a hole in the middle where the outer holes on the driver back are to keep them free, and added a thin disc of felt covered by a disc of motherboard tray foam, which has a similar look as the outer Acousti layers, but obviously substandard comparatively, and is the same height.
 This made it bassy as anything but lacking in higher end and higher end details.
Here:

Next attempt ( below ) I took out the felt disc at the very back of the cup, and simply used the disc of motherboard tray foam by itself. Highs back up again but not harsh in any way or overly bright [so far] . This mod is revealing the details again and the bass is rocking. No sense of fatiguing factor in there at all like they were stock or with just the outer vents felted using the original foam spring.
Here:

I tried a mod there where the center hole was simply filled with a light bit of pulled cotton (too bright)
and also one with just felt and also felt with cotton, but they weren't great.

Only thing that seems to be a negative is that the volume level decreases and they get less sensitive.

That's that I know you're all thrilled. I'll see how they play out in the next few weeks with music.

*** I'm sure this has been hashed over before but I've forgotten=====What's the deal with these drivers? Are they  Sawafuji made? How do they compare to the SFI's. Seem to be able to get a bit more out of them, unless it's particular to this housing. Larger holes or magnets?

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #18,395 of 27,137
Dec 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #18,396 of 27,137
Nick: [tries to look at large version of photos] OW!  But never mind that now. It's important to note that the "little dabble dooyuh" is from an old advertising jingle for a hair-mayonnaise product called Brylcreem [shudders]. Use it for lubing your hamster's wheel.

Anyway, Radio Shack/Tandy must've ordered a zillion Pro 30s from a supplier/mfr. in Japan, spec'ing it the way they figured would be good enough yet cheap enough to make money. Was the OEM Audio-Technica? It sure looks that way, plus the Pro 30 showed up at the same time A-T was marketing the ATH-1 and ATH-2 at around the same price point here in the US, but we don't know if in fact it was A-T. Did A-T have the know-how to make such a thing in-house? Certainly. Would they have used SFI as a subcontractor for the drivers if they were cheaper? Undoubtedly. I think it's a fair guess that the SFI and A-T and Radio Shack drivers all came out of the same factory, but it is just a guess.

DAC: Yep, we've been waiting for an HP-1A to show up in the flesh. So far, no go.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #18,397 of 27,137
Anyone ever tried ATH w5000 pads for NAD RP18?
I can't find any pads from this list that rythmdevils recommends

Quote:
Pads to try:  W11, L3000, SA5000.  I have some jMoney pads that are awesome but I dont think he makes them this way anymore. 

Oh, and congrats on having what was the biggest ortho headphone driver until about 2009!  That should get you some chicks if nothing else. 

maybe I'll also try DT880 pad like nickchen said

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

DT880 pads also work very nice with the Kapton version RP18, and they are cheap & comfortable. I'd rate them better suited than all the others meanwhile, especially as they provide a better accentuated presence section and better SS.

Compared to the usual contenders, Backwards damping needs to be kept quite open then though:

thanks

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #18,398 of 27,137

Quote:
Oh yeah! How did you approach it so far? Or is that seckrit StUff? Can't wait for the pictures. I'm apparently discouraged and close to banned for mine :)

I went in to quell some fatiguing factor in that above mod, and used a teased cotton ball layer maybe I dunno less than half of a cotton ball ( probably less even ). It was so miniscule I didn't think it would work but it did.  Had to add the tiniest bit more and then the things are at a sweet spot. It didn't drop bass, detail is up to really high levels, took care of the "resonances" I guess they were.
 I'm talking hardly any cotton,  as in an almost completely transparent layer especially under the light.
Didn't think it would do anything with that much but dangit if it didn't have an obviously noticable effect.  Unless I had heard it for myself,

Curious if anyone else experienced this zone between too much and too little cotton to be so small?

Someone should harvest dust bunnies and sell them in here. I bet someone HAS tried dryer lint haven't they.

Not much to it really. Glued the driver down, stuffed in some cotton, stuffed in some more cotton, stuffed in even more cotton, all done. I was getting some really strong peakiness in the treble so I kept putting more in until it calmed down. 

The bass response is actually quite good, but requires a seal which the stock pads do not provide for me. If I press a little bit with my hands the bass comes up considerably. My friend can get a good seal, but I think my head shape just doesn't work with the stock pads. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #18,399 of 27,137

Quote:
Anyone ever tried ATH w5000 pads for NAD RP18?

I guess W5K pads would behave roughly similar to the well-introduced W11 pads. The good thing about ortho pad rolling is the fact that they react quite well tempered. If you do pad rolling with dynamicals, slightest changes cause really freaking changes of the tonality.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #18,400 of 27,137

Quote:
I guess W5K pads would behave roughly similar to the well-introduced W11 pads. The good thing about ortho pad rolling is the fact that they react quite well tempered. If you do pad rolling with dynamicals, slightest changes cause really freaking changes of the tonality.

thank you nickchen maybe I'll try to order it
btw I've just tried the DT880 pad and I didn't like it, the treble become very spiky for me

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #18,401 of 27,137
Open the damping a little more, and you'll get less treble and more bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back