Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #16,891 of 27,137
Well. I just won a pair of Realistic Pro 30 on ebay.  Looking forward to playing with another pair of orthos.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #16,892 of 27,137
Hi all,
I would like to share one thing I noticed on Fostex T50RP today. The small hole in the baffle actually act as a small "Bass Reflex Vent". In a formular I found on line, the resonance frequency is
340/6.28* square root  (Vent Area/(Vent length*enclosure Volume)). It is a simplified equation for the "Helmholtz resonance" (http://www.enotes.com/topic/Helmholtz_resonance)

Thus, this small hole greatly helped boosting the mid-low frequencies. And that is why many of us find the honk in the low-mids. This is actually really weired because we normally see a huge vented hole in large speakers and when it comes down to a headphone, the vented hole has to be as small as we see on the T50RP. I did a simple calculation, the resonance is around 120HZ or so for a small hole with 7mm length, 0.000001 m2, and a 25cm3 enclosure. For the vented hole to be effective, we shall make sure the rest of the enclosure does not leak sound. However, fostex engineers opened a big hole at the back and we normally would remove the felt on the vent, this mod actually completely ruined the function of the vented hole. 

Anyway, my point is we can mod the T50RP to have some real nice and deep bass by fully utilizing this vented hole design. My idea is open for debate. Please let me know what you guys think. 
-Donny

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #16,893 of 27,137
Sorry to post multiple threads at one time. 
I proposed one mod for T50rp:
Cover all the interior surface of the enclosure with a thin layer of felt, and cover the back of the driver with a layer of dense felt and a very small hole to let out the deepest bass (as we see the way smeggy damps the thunderpants).
Important tips:
Also fully cover the back vent with some felt. Make sure we have a nice interior volume.
Make sure the small baffle hole is not covered or blocked by anything. Make sure it can breathe. 

Now we have a typical "Bass Reflex Speaker" hanging right near your ears. Hope that would produce some real bass. I am personally quite impressed with this mod. 

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #16,894 of 27,137
Small holes play a great role, that is true. My 1st contact with this effect was my old DT770, it can be "tuned" to have even less bass than a K501 when the stock vent hole gets covered. And the famous 3 holes in my MS1000 distancers are almost folklore meanwhile...

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #16,896 of 27,137
Somebody suggested fake ATH-ESW-0 as SFI fosterfone.
Is this link real
http://www.tradehong.com//product-2808247-free+shipping+10pcs+lot+audio+technica+ath+esw9+ath+esw9+headphone+esw9/
If you actually select the the 1 piece option the trolley will mark around 45US$ for the item.

Is this scam? If it is not then it looks a nice price for a wooden forsterfone.

Anybody has any direct esperience with this seller?

After some time: never mind...  I've found other fake aths at ioffer. Anybody knows if the cups in fake esw-9 are real wood?

Thanks.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #16,897 of 27,137

Quote:
Somebody suggested fake ATH-ESW-0 as SFI fosterfone.
Is this link real
http://www.tradehong.com//product-2808247-free+shipping+10pcs+lot+audio+technica+ath+esw9+ath+esw9+headphone+esw9/
If you actually select the the 1 piece option the trolley will mark around 45US$ for the item.

Is this scam? If it is not then it looks a nice price for a wooden forsterfone.

Anybody has any direct esperience with this seller?

After some time: never mind...  I've found other fake aths at ioffer. Anybody knows if the cups in fake esw-9 are real wood?

Thanks.

Do you really think you would get real wood cups for $45?  None of the fakes are wood.  They are all plastic. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #16,898 of 27,137
You could check these out. You need to order via email and the shipping may be a little high if you only want one.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #16,899 of 27,137
Quote:
Do you really think you would get real wood cups for $45?  None of the fakes are wood.  They are all plastic. 

Headphones with real wood cups are available at that price - The Kanen KM-880 sells in the $20-30 range - it's the type of wood, quality and finish that are going to suffer in the counterfeits. I wouldn't be surprised if the wood on the knockoffs dries and cracks eventually, which makes them useless.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #16,900 of 27,137

Quote:

You can get real wood for that price but they're just not going to be exotic wood. Which OEM companies rarely use, if never. Something like maple that's be stained or dyed isn't very expensive to mass produce. But you're probably correct about them being plastic, Knockoffs are rarely made with quality products. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #16,901 of 27,137
Double post... my bad!

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #16,902 of 27,137
Let me see if I can try to answer (= guess), or at least waste a few minutes of everyone's time, on R.Devil's earlier question about Fostex cup shape.

I admit it never occurred to me to wonder why the heck Fostex went from an all-circles design like the original T20 to an "excitingly chunky" design like the 1986 T20v2 (which of course led directly on to the T20RP mk II and all the current production Fosteces), with its squared-off driver chamber, even though the little square neodymium driver, once shunned and despised but now known and loved worldwide in the T50RP, was 16 years in the future. Were they working on it for 16 years? I doubt it, but odder things have happened.

I have two guesses. Aside from a desire to make excitingly chunky-looking headphones, they might have figured that  1) the more deeply contoured surface of the cup was stiffer and thus less likely to vibrate in the bass or midrange and  2) a slight reduction in symmetry inside the cup would reduce cavity resonances. There's nothing more symmetrical than a circle, after all.
Beyond that, I got nuthin'.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #16,903 of 27,137
3) They thought it looked cool and the CEO of Fostexen Incorporated thought the excitingly chunky design went well with his excitingly chunky facial structure. 
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #16,904 of 27,137
I know! they wanted to simulate a little square room on your head so that the discernible reflections came from the front, the back, the top and the bottom like you would actually experience in a speaker setup. but... hmm, no. Thats all I got.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #16,905 of 27,137
Thanks maverickronin,

the ES8* looks suitable. Maybe replacing the pastic baffle with a simple whooden one made out of plywood and replacing that plastic structure holding the baffle with small wooden pillars stuck to the side of the cup internal sides.

However you are right that the shipment is a show killer. Anyone interest on a small group by in UK? May be with as little as 10 cans we can make it reasonable, I sent the call on the thread you referred.

A

Quote:
You could check these out. You need to order via email and the shipping may be a little high if you only want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back