Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #16,696 of 27,137
What is done here sometimes in respect of the hobby is quite...extreme in comparison to the avarage physics collegeboy who simply buys an Ultrasone or HD280 and is fine with that.
ph34r.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #16,697 of 27,137

Quote:
What is done here sometimes in respect of the hobby is quite...extreme in comparison to the avarage physics collegeboy who simply buys an Ultrasone or HD280 and is fine with that.
ph34r.gif

Well, unless it has a heartbeat and a soul, it gets modded in my house. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #16,699 of 27,137
My ID1 driver farts. Why does it fart? When I press on the sides of the driver, the sound changes a bit. Ideas? (when playing certain low bass frequencies fairly loud only... otherwise it sounds great... edit: actually, maybe the problem is there, but much more subtly, at lower volumes as well...)

EDIT: I have pinned down the problem. Now I just have to fix it as well without destroying anything...

Anyway, it appears that these drivers aren't as reliable / well-made as I had expected. I'd recommend having a listen for this problem before buying a set.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #16,701 of 27,137

Quote:
My ID1 driver farts. Why does it fart? When I press on the sides of the driver, the sound changes a bit. Ideas? (when playing certain low bass frequencies fairly loud only... otherwise it sounds great... edit: actually, maybe the problem is there, but much more subtly, at lower volumes as well...)

EDIT: I have pinned down the problem. Now I just have to fix it as well without destroying anything...

And what is the problem? A fissure in the diaphragm?

My glued NAD problem driver crackles silently a bit when there are pressure changes due to head- or headphone movement. It's exactly the same sort of silent crackle you have with estats in the same situation, but the "good side" does not crackle at all. Maybe because the good side isn't sealed with glue and can pass pressure sideways...

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #16,702 of 27,137

Quote:
And what is the problem? A fissure in the diaphragm?

My glued NAD problem driver crackles silently a bit when there are pressure changes due to head- or headphone movement. It's exactly the same sort of silent crackle you have with estats in the same situation, but the "good side" does not crackle at all. Maybe because the good side isn't sealed with glue and can pass pressure sideways...

No... apparently, the membrane sags a bit, so that it touches the ear-side magnet, with a buzz as the result. It's quite worrisome, since one needs to have a listen to hear it. Bad for buying second hand without the option to listen first. I suppose if it's happened to this one, it could happen to other ID1 as well.

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #16,704 of 27,137

Quote:
That's especially a problem when people are paying 200 dollars for the heap of plastic
blink.gif

I would think that through a few times before spending.... One might have to buy several sets to get one that works....

Anyway, I have moved one magnet out a bit. That won't make it the same as a flawless driver though, since now the magnets are further away from each other than they are supposed to be. (There is always a risk of destroying the driver when doing that, so don't do it unless you are sure that's the thing to do.)

The ID1 (one side is stock at least) has rolled-off deep bass (yes, that's the deepest bass I am thinking about), by the way. It needs some volume to emerge. At least when connected to my 45W power amplifier. (I am not claiming it must stay like that, I am just saying this is how it sounds stock.)

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #16,706 of 27,137
This is a picture of the sagging membrane (and it also shows the nice repair to the terminal for the cables, that Don did.).
The grey that the membrane rests on is the front-side magnet. The membrane should have been slightly more tensioned, or the magnet should have been further away (as it is now). If the frame has gotten slightly deformed, then that would cause a sagging membrane too. Hard to say what happened really.

The membrane is very lightly tensioned, to hang between the magnets. But since it's corrugated, it can move very easily, blowing lightly on it makes it move.

Also, the picture shows how carefully the white goo was applied there to the edges of the membrane....

It certainly looks like the mid-part of the membrane might flex out the most, when it's playing. Then a curved magnet would make sense.

(The driver was actually playing music, when this picture was taken. But it was even less efficient with only one fridge magnet.)

Now, finally, I can sit down and have a listen to this ancient apparatus :)

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #16,708 of 27,137
This would be the second ID1 that I am aware of that has a buzz. Albeit the first one survived armageddon. The reason I moved the ID1 into the zebra cups was for just this reason, the bass was there but you had to listen at high levels to balance things out. I can now listen at (extremely) low levels and enjoy a superbly full response and it doesn't dominate when you turn things up a notch. It is a pity this simple zebra headphone went out of production, it was a cheap and ideal foster for many drivers ..dB

edit 

for someone with the tools - this might be an ideal platform to test newer magnets on a driver that we know sounds fantastic when working 

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #16,709 of 27,137

Quote:

for someone with the tools - this might be an ideal platform to test newer magnets on a driver that we know sounds fantastic when working 

You know what, i was discussing this with wualta just a few weeks back on chat!! Lol. Im too scared to open the driver up myself.
But you can get flexible neodymnium magnet sheets. Which will be MUCH stronger than the old stuff on them stock. Creating the holes, i dunno the exact tools to use, but since its not fully solid, it cant be toooo hard.
IT mighttt not change the sound, but dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back