Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #16,216 of 27,169
Yep, the Wharfedale begins to look more like a relative of the K1000. 

RE the headstage of the HD 414: Don't take my word for it-- if you can find an old HD 414 in good shape, listen to a binaural recording. In fact, Sennheiser issued several 45 RPM binaural demo records made with its MKE 2002 binaural mic, circa 1974. Those might be a little harder to find, but as we know, there are many binaural recordings available on the interwebbz.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #16,217 of 27,169

Quote:
Yep, the Wharfedale begins to look more like a relative of the K1000. 

Except the AKG K1000 sounds no where near as nice 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #16,218 of 27,169
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #16,219 of 27,169
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #16,220 of 27,169
Hello,

I am relatively new to the journey of good audio. The sound of orthodynamic headphones (even though I have never listened to a pair, if that makes any sense) really makes me want to buy some.

In another thread, I asked for recommendations and discovered and pursued Fostex, namely the T50RP with the v2 earpads. Unfortunately, all vendors have these headphones on backorder and to be frank, I really want to listen to some headphones right now. I only have low-end Sennheiser IEMs and can't stand the wait anymore.

You see, I am looking for closed headphones that are available, and the reason I chose to go orthodynamic is because of what I researched about the balance, the smooth high end and beautiful midrange. I am a music education major and saxophonist, so I usually listen to music critically (think Coltrane and Mahler symphonies) and do some monitoring work for recording, and I think orthodynamic headphones may be for me.

I have some questions that maybe you orthodynamic fans can answer.
Would any of the other Fostex headphones (T20RP, T40RP) suffice? That is, how do they compare with the T50RP? If they are worth looking at, where can I find them?
Are there other options out there for closed orthodynamic headphones in the price range of $100-$200?
Also, would the Fiio E7/E9 combo be sufficient for driving these kinds of headphones? Does anyone have experience with the Fiio combo and say, the T50RP or any other closed orthodynamic headphones? I have not completely decided on what to do about the DAC/AMP yet, and am still listening through the onboard audio on my computer's motherboard.

I really appreciate your help. I enjoy reading the threads here: it's all a big learning experience.

Best regards,
Mangoloid

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #16,221 of 27,169
Where in DC do you live?  I don't know of any place you can find them locally.  I know they didn't sell them at the Guitar Center in Falls Church when I asked, but that was over a year ago.

I can't comment on the Fiio, but my bet is any recording equipment you use will be able to drive them adequately for monitoring purposes since that's what they're originally designed for. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #16,222 of 27,169
I attend Catholic University, which is in Brookland, located in northeastern DC. I live in Maryland, though.
Only places around here I am aware of that deal with audio gear is Chuck Levin's and Guitar Centers. Correct me if there are more, but I am not sure if any of them will carry Fostex headphones. Most likely not.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #16,223 of 27,169
Some Guitar Centers supposedly carry them.  They sell them mail order.  In most places in the country, it's next to impossible to find head-fi "approved" headphones in brick and mortar stores.  A couple of stores near me sell Grados and one store in McLean is a Stax dealer. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #16,227 of 27,169
We've had one of our regular kraut meetings (8 folks) last weekend. Ortho-related findings: The T20v2 was one of the sensations of the meet, which gathered even more attention than the brand new AT W1000X. ApatN's "state of the art" modded T50RP didn't get that much love by far, although the folks found it to be a technically good HP as well, but most had issues with the tonality. EddieE's HP1 was a nice didactic play in respect how spectacular stock vs modded can sound - modded as "open back " with HD414 pads as I stated before, that was confirmed. The YH1000 unfortunally didn't make it, the owner decided at the very last moment not to borrow them.

Pad swapping: The T20v2 sounded best with its stock pads. T50 or SA5K pads also worked, but it got the same weird tonality from that. The T50 sounded least coloured with its stock pads, the Sony pads added some metallic coldth (but offered a better precision- and PRat-factor). The T50's tonality was nicest with the T20v2- or the HP1 pads, but things became too muddy and "overcrowded" from that, I guess those newer systems move too much air for those narrow pads. AKG K81/K518 pads don't works as substitute for the stock HP1 pads. Beyer pads (DT660, DT770, DT880, J$) worked on none of the probands. Superlux HD660 pads (the DT770'2003 lookalike) work acceptably on the T50RP, but stock still sounds better. Too bad we forgot to rib the W1000 pads off...

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #16,228 of 27,169
Every pad swap I've done has required a new tweak or outright new damping scheme altogether.  Some even require dampening or they just sounded too dry. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #16,230 of 27,169

Quote:
i think I have broken this thread with my declaration of love for 414.  No I wont take it back, because now I love modded orthos more   
basshead.gif

Hee hee. I've already gone on in detail about the debt today's headphone culture owes the 414. I introduced it to the radio station I worked for in the early '70s and it spread like butter/wildfire/randomdisease. But you're right, I think folks were waiting for the other shoe to drop, where you declared your love for othos. Now we can carry on.

Nickchen, very glad to hear the T20v2 caused a stir among the young krauts. Time to claim the Blatthaller legacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back