Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 20, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #25,712 of 27,137
Kinda like an old AM radio you mean?

I hear the cups can snap off because they use a dumb plastic post to attach them. One drop and it's toast? :p

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #25,713 of 27,137
YH1 horrible headphone, I remember the $150 days and I don't wanna see this again, no bass, no trebles, HORRRRRID and yes that's a lot of R.

Whaaaat? I liked them quite a bit stock. Even more so when modded :frowning2:

Have you tried modding them?

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #25,714 of 27,137
Gave another shot at modding my T10's. My previous attempts made them either too thick in the lower mids or have a weak and flabby bass while rolling off too early. I have already bought the ATH-ESW9 pads, so I'm not going to let them go to waste by leaving them at that!

I've taken out the yellow biscuit damping as I find that it seems to affect the bass negatively.

Over quite a few damping schemes, I came to one where the bass is punchy and the mids are rich and warm - I could say it's a bit "bloated" if I wanted to be critical. Extends down very low - 20 Hz easily heard. Seems like there's an emphasis in the 1-2 kHz region that maybe be a forward with some vocals but not annoyingly so. There does seem to be a lack of air or sparkle though - maybe a bit less than an HD650. Maybe. A smooth, easy, and enjoyable listen.

I would try the stock T10 pads with this damping scheme, but I'm too lazy :D Getting the ATH-ESW9 pads on and off is a pain.

Details on mod:

- A cut circle of a thick piece of some foam that I believe is used as a filter for liquids
- A cut circle of the acoustic foam used in Beyerdynamic headphones - put right behind the magnets
- ATH-ESW9 pads
- Taped the vents - left only one vent uncovered (Vents from left to right: 4th vent on left side uncovered, 3rd vent on right side uncovered)

And that's about it. Overall, pretty satisfied. Most likely keeping them like this.

0122181326.jpg

Pictures of mods:

0122181233.jpg0122181234.jpg 0122181326a.jpg 0122181327.jpg 0122181328.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #25,715 of 27,137
Sorbothane will clear and clean up the sound beyond what you have achieved currently, it's magic.
Sure did with my T10 ( a couple others did also with noticeable results )

Nice to see you are liking them overall.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #25,716 of 27,137
Sorbothane will clear and clean up the sound beyond what you have achieved currently, it's magic.
Sure did with my T10 ( a couple others did also with noticeable results )

Nice to see you are liking them overall.

Any specific thickness or how to cut it (like in a circular shape)?

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #25,717 of 27,137
This is what I did. Bucketinabucket I THINK maybe tried similar, GREQ maybe also.
It's under the title BASSMASTER in my files.haha
Luckily I started saving pictures of stuff or I'd forget.

Best part about this is you already have the foam cut:p

Apologies if you already know this but why not mention it again..
And I don't know if you have any sorb or not already so...

I used 30D 1/10 inch thick.
The "D" rating is the DURO value which is basically the hardness or viscosity of the stuff.
Higher numbers are denser ( like 70D ) but since I want vibe management not mass loading, I went for the less dense.

The back vents are blocked with an Arctic brand material ( A.Cotton I think ) but any fuzzy quilt batting may work.
Backside uses some thin black sheer material to hide the white from the vent mesh I think.
If you look close there are 4 short strips in the shell rear above and below the A.C. material strip, plus all around that driver edge. Continuous strips do not work as well as many smaller I found.

Cheap to try out a 6 in x 6 in piece off fleabay, then when you get hooked , if you like the stuff, you can get larger, but it goes a long way.
DSCF7968.JPG

I should add, that I just had a look and this set is an older(?) black-badged one ( LIKE YOURS ), and I did a trial recable with loosely twisted Soviet Mil Spec teflon coated copper wires, which I never got around to prettying up.
Hope this helps.
Maybe the others will add their 2 cents to how it made things sound vs reg'lur modimicationz...

IIRC it's not even like the same can, at least what I hear with the presentation anyhow

**** ATH-ESW9 pads****** are these 3rd party? I had some of those pads once but gave them away, perhaps I should have kept them.

BTW you have to get Gungrave, Samurai Champloo , and Mushi-shi on that MAL list of yours :p

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #25,718 of 27,137
This is what I did. Bucketinabucket I THINK maybe tried similar, GREQ maybe also.
It's under the title BASSMASTER in my files.haha
Luckily I started saving pictures of stuff or I'd forget.

Best part about this is you already have the foam cut:p

Apologies if you already know this but why not mention it again..
And I don't know if you have any sorb or not already so...

I used 30D 1/10 inch thick.
The "D" rating is the DURO value which is basically the hardness or viscosity of the stuff.
Higher numbers are denser ( like 70D ) but since I want vibe management not mass loading, I went for the less dense.

The back vents are blocked with an Arctic brand material ( A.Cotton I think ) but any fuzzy quilt batting may work.
Backside uses some thin black sheer material to hide the white from the vent mesh I think.
If you look close there are 4 short strips in the shell rear above and below the A.C. material strip, plus all around that driver edge. Continuous strips do not work as well as many smaller I found.

Cheap to try out a 6 in x 6 in piece off fleabay, then when you get hooked , if you like the stuff, you can get larger, but it goes a long way.

I should add, that I just had a look and this set is an older(?) black-badged one ( LIKE YOURS ), and I did a trial recable with loosely twisted Soviet Mil Spec teflon coated copper wires, which I never got around to prettying up.
Hope this helps.
Maybe the others will add their 2 cents to how it made things sound vs reg'lur modimicationz...

IIRC it's not even like the same can, at least what I hear with the presentation anyhow

**** ATH-ESW9 pads****** are these 3rd party? I had some of those pads once but gave them away, perhaps I should have kept them.

BTW you have to get Gungrave, Samurai Champloo , and Mushi-shi on that MAL list of yours :p

Ooo neat! Yeah, I was trying to looking for the "artic" material that I've seen mentioned but I'm not sure what it is or where to get it. Do you think putting blu-tack around the driver would give the same effect? I think I remember reading @GREQ's post where his T10's had some orange putty(?) around the driver on his pair in one post. i originally planned to put blu-tack around the driver, but I totally forgot about it.

I got the pads straight from Audio Technica and they costed a pretty penny. I can't say they were worth it but they're somewhat comfortable at least.

I haven't seen GunGrave nor Samurai Champloo yet but I've heard great things about them. I think they're in my "Plan to Watch" list along with 300 other shows haha. I've finished the first season of Mushishi though. Just need to catch up on the second season.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #25,719 of 27,137
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #25,720 of 27,137
Yup... I've explored the pros and cons of blue tack, plasticine, putty, etc... and sorbothane is the real deal.
It's faster to install, easier to work with and you need much less of it to make an impact.
By contrast, the other materials make almost no difference. I threw out most of my plasticine after discovering sorbothane.

I would go through this thread and delete all those horrible plasticine photos, but it's a tremendous amount of work now that the new headfi doesn't have thread-based image browsing.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #25,721 of 27,137
heck at least you didn't make the mistake of using grey non-hardening window putty like i did early on, it turned copper blue really fast from offgassing compounds lol.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #25,722 of 27,137
I still had to join the mad rush of clearing out plasticine from a bunch of headphones after the reports started coming out that it reacts with some plastics making them brittle or start to disintegrate.
That was kinda scary.

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #25,723 of 27,137
Oh that also!!! At least Newplast avoids that issue. But it's not cheap.

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #25,724 of 27,137
I've totally avoided all of that stuff, I don't like the idea of mods that cannot be undone, though I'm open to it if I have additional pairs of the same headphone. Sorbothane has worked well for me in certain areas, though I'm not a huge fan of working with it- it's quite hard to cut with a dull blade, and almost never appropriate to cut with scissors if you're looking for equivalent sized bits.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #25,725 of 27,137
^ I found decent success using the fabric cutter things that look like a mini pizza roller.
I finally sprung for one of those self healing grid mats also, best investment ever cutting boards were simply not, uhh, cutting it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back