Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #25,682 of 27,156
A wasted opportunity.
They could have adorned it with custom Milano glass with the traditional primary-colour clown-vomit.

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #25,684 of 27,156
Yeah some of em have a bit of glue, hopefully the clips didn't break when you pulled them apart though!
Are you going to transplant them into another housing?

Yep, have a spare M50 housing that I can mess about with. I also recently acquired some TDS-16 ortho drivers for cheap from Kiev that I've got nothing to do with. Feel like I should slap them into something a bit more substantial. Probably going to have to go at something with a dremel.
Here are some pictures just for fun. Top is HP-3, bottom is TDS-16
orthos.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #25,685 of 27,156
Have some basic questions about the technology. Do you guys know whether Hifiman was the first to develop the single-ended magnet design or had other planar headphones implemented it before? I'm wondering what the pluses and minuses of that are. One plus is obviously weight. But in terms of sound: Since the magnets can only control the diaphragm from one end, doesn't that theoretically result in a loss of control? Did Hifiman make up for this loss of control by making the diaphragm thinner? Presumably if the magnets on the ear side are no longer there the sound improves since there's nothing blocking the way. In fact, can anybody explain why, in the standard two-ended design, the magnets don't get in the way of the sound?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #25,686 of 27,156
Victor had a single sided magnet one way back in 1976 -1980.
HP-D30.
Forget if there are others of old.
Older magnets are obviously weaker field strength than the new stuff so maybe control nowadays is not so much an issue.

Low end blooms 360 degrees so will work it's way past things, but no idea how the top end ( more directional ) is affected moving through holes/slots.
I guess the planar motion pushes that high end straight out whatever holes there are.

Curious what the differences are between no magnets on the earside, versus no magnets on the backside, and what company does what with modern things.
What does the Abyss do? Don't they have the magnets on earside and nothing on the rears?

That's my useless two cents.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #25,688 of 27,156
very interesting on the D70.
I'd guess driver sensitivity may be one of the things affected by single sided also, perhaps being lower than 2 sided equivalents.

Oh that Ceramic wool pad chunk showed up the other day ( linked mentioned at top of previous page ).
Turns out is not all that heavy at all.
I'll throw it on a scale and take a close up picture.

Wondering about particulates like fiberglass usage, do I need to think about covering it with gauze, or keep it in cup rears only.
Doesn't appear to give off dusty stuff so far, but will check.

Well here it is. Stuff has that crunchy type sound when peeling it at the edges.
The web description of it said 1 FT square was about 8 pounds, but that cannot be right at all.
It's very light.
This 6 inch by 6 inch piece only weighs 74 grams.
It is ~ 1 inch thick.

Best I could do with the photos, it's like trying to take pictures of snow.
DSCF9718.JPG
DSCF9723.JPG

******** HMMMM I just tapped the edges over a piece of black foam and yeah there was some tiny amount of particulates, very small stuff so Unsure if I want to handle this stuff too much. I might skip it.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #25,690 of 27,156
Yeah for sure! Itchy just thinking about it.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #25,691 of 27,156
My Victor hp-d70 has the singular magnet earside. I wonder what flipping it over would sound like, but I couldn't do it without risking them. Too fragile. As far as I can tell, listening through the other side probably yields a cleaner sound but at what cost? I don't know.
Since the Audiotronic AHP66 is essentially part of the same family of drivers but with TWO magnets instead of one, I do remember playing around with this idea and tried some configurations.
I don't remember if I actually got around to trying 'maget on rear only' (don't know if it's even possible.. not sure if it's glued or clamped in) but two magnets had stronger and clearer bass.
Single magnet earside had better treble details and air, but lost most of the bass quality and quantity.

One of the few planars where this is extremely easy to do non-destructively as the magnet sits almost loose in the rear-mount ring.
You only have to be somewhat careful when putting it back in that the holes are correctly aligned with the front magnet.
But this is relatively easy with a strong light shining through and a little patience.

ASE-40 also seemingly from the same family and with two magnets, but not easy to try this mod so I never did.

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #25,693 of 27,156
Yeah, I think the cheapest offer is a 24"(60.96 cm) x 12" (30.48 cm) sheet for 17.25 USD. Doesn't sound like a lot of dynamat though, but I guess will last a bit for headphones.

Would you guys recommend putting some dynamat in this earcup here? From an Aiwa HP-30.

Feilong, do you know the rough inside measurements of those Aiwa ?
I am trying to figure out a shell for the large rectangular 80+mm TDS-7 drivers.
Pictures are very deceiving and I don't wish to randomly waste $ buying older things that may not fit them.

also you know you have too much time on your hands when:

Yeah i counted the holes in the pictures above of the two driver sets...

Yamaha = 36 holes
TDS = 57 holes

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #25,694 of 27,156
Feilong, do you know the rough inside measurements of those Aiwa ?
I am trying to figure out a shell for the large rectangular 80+mm TDS-7 drivers.
Pictures are very deceiving and I don't wish to randomly waste $ buying older things that may not fit them.

also you know you have too much time on your hands when:

Yeah i counted the holes in the pictures above of the two driver sets...

Yamaha = 36 holes
TDS = 57 holes

It's a rectangular driver? I don't think it'll fit. The maximum area that can be used is about 63.5mm x 63.5mm. It's a pretty tiny space to work with.

Here's the back of the Aiwa HP-30 next to a Brainwavz pad for scale:

HP-30.jpg

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #25,695 of 27,156
ok... thanks very much for that. 3248917.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back