Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 14, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #24,257 of 27,156
Yamaha yh-5m in house. Really excited to try them, at work now
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #24,260 of 27,156
nice Nick, using a ring of dynamat as an adhesive to hold the driver to baffle should refine all the freqs..
have you try to seal all the plasticy area as well inside the housing?

I only use Dynamat for sealing drivers to baffles. It seems to not do as much for damping effects as that other new stuff I am using. At least not as noticeable I find.
 So no I have not sealed anything else up in there so far.
I left the seam between the cup and baffle regular also. I have a feeling I might want a tiny mod tweak again.
Since all the pads have a great seal I am not too worried about the cup/baffle seams if anything it will add a tiny bit more bass :p

Hmm Muzo2... you finally get to try the headgear hey....congratulations!

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #24,261 of 27,156
Yamaha yh-5m is Japanese engineering marvel. It so well thought design, there are precision adjustments.
On both sides small cups swivel inside the housing and they can be fixed by small screw to adjust the nozzle angle.
Height can also be adjusted by a screw and because of the grooves they move by rotation of screws.

They are very sensitive headphones, they can play very loud, have to listen with 20-25% of volume.
They sound very airy and sometime can be sibilant,bass can dig deep. I have spent only few minutes , more sound impressions and pictures to follow.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #24,262 of 27,156
@ nick_n:
oh rite, i'm using several materials like a quarter size felt (low densities) act as reflector, rockwool and a donut of glasswool on my previous Yammy HP1 aniso..incl. transpore ala YH100 mod of Boilermakerfan, offcourse..
again, Yammy are not my thingy, not my cup of tea..even if it have very good sounding as a result, i'm still let it go for the previous Fostex T10..lol

*updated...

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #24,264 of 27,156
wow the box also
 amazing.
Congratulations again.

If you tell everyone they look amazing but sound terrible, prices will go down.
ph34r.gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #24,265 of 27,156
lol nick

so waddya think guys,
about all the modern ortho cans that available on the market these days..
price vs performance..maybe we can short it out base on the experiences by listing em together..
and make a rank list of it for later use, like on the wikiphonia..fair enough?

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #24,266 of 27,156
Nick you wont believe what these guys did even before I was born. As I said before its a precise engineering masterpiece and that includes sound engineering.
It was manufactured 37 yrs back, it portable ortho which can be driven from any source at 20% of volume, you dont need any amp.It has three settings one linear to adjust height. Second angular joint to get it in right place and third free angle to insert the nozzle in right angle in ear.
Once you get all three settings right you have yamaha house sound but much more open sounding with highs and lows extended.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #24,268 of 27,156
I'm really intreseted about how good the old Yamaha orthos are compared to the (relatively) new, good dynamic headphones like for example: Sennheiser HD600, Denon AH-D line, or anything like that. Are tey even in the same league? I read that they were regarded as really good headphones at their time, and they use a very competitive technology. If anybody have experience with these headphones please share it, i'm really curious.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #24,269 of 27,156
To be honest they sound horrible, we're all delusional at best. We collect them coz we love the vintage looks but SQ is objectively ludicrous by today's standards, the same way people used to collect wooden Pro DT770/80's a few years back.

This was a wild trick to make ebay prices keep dropping ^^

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #24,270 of 27,156
You forgot to mention they cause Ear Cancer and Brain Tumors. It's the BPA they used in the old diaphrams and housings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back