Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 17, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #22,848 of 27,137
One thing with those infinite possibilities with damping is you need a measuring rig just to compare different variations.

That, or a more "convoluted" "measuring rig" consisting of :

• a set of songs to use as test tracks, that you at which part of the track the singer farted, or where the guitar sounded a bit off-tune, etc.
  • a control headphone and associated gear that you do not, and will not change the characteristics of, and you know intimately how it sounds as a whole chain,
  • a notebook.

Science.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #22,849 of 27,137
  1. a set of songs to use as test tracks, that you at which part of the track the singer farted, or where the guitar sounded a bit off-tune, etc.
  2. a control headphone and associated gear that you do not, and will not change the characteristics of, and you know intimately how it sounds as a whole chain,
  3. a notebook.

Science.

This, more than anything is crucial. Quite possibly the most overlooked if not downright mis understood aspect of modding. Way too many "shotgun" mods out there that just don't stack up when compared back to a reference.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #22,850 of 27,137
  1. a set of songs to use as test tracks, that you at which part of the track the singer farted, or where the guitar sounded a bit off-tune, etc.
  2. a control headphone and associated gear that you do not, and will not change the characteristics of, and you know intimately how it sounds as a whole chain,
  3. a notebook.

Science.

The problem happens when you try tomcod them at home with no controle headphone and gear, just trying to comparte them by ear, you may get it right or worst, even pass the the sweet spot,, but i must say it's hard to determine what would be a good headphone + gear combination for use as control.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #22,851 of 27,137
I too have been hyping Isodynamic phones for an awful long time! (Bought my Wharfedales in.....1974!)
Still in regular use.
If I can scan the article of their development I have from that time, I'll post it on here.
Certainly I don't mind the 'weird looks'. I think (who ever owns the rights) should re-issue them!

As to damping the inside of cups; don't forget CORK! It's amazing stuff!
(I love Portuguese + Spanish cork forests!)

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #22,852 of 27,137
  I too have been hyping Isodynamic phones for an awful long time! (Bought my Wharfedales in.....1974!)
Still in regular use.
If I can scan the article of their development I have from that time, I'll post it on here.
Certainly I don't mind the 'weird looks'. I think (who ever owns the rights) should re-issue them!

As to damping the inside of cups; don't forget CORK! It's amazing stuff!
(I love Portuguese + Spanish cork forests!)

You mean the same material used on Wine Bottles? that's new for me.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #22,853 of 27,137
Cork?
Look it up?
Has amazing properties. I believe they even used it on the Space shuttle!
It's a great sound dampener too.
I use corks under hi-fi equipment. MUCH cheaper than the commercial 'isolation' products, and you get to drink the wine as well!
Can even be split as cable anti-vibration ...if you believe such stuff.

It is a natural product, harvested from Cork oaks every 9 years. Grown in an area where not much else would (unless seriously irrigated which isn't good in water-depleted Spain) and the Serrano pigs root about for the acorns beneath the trees in Autumn, plus the forests support lots of wild life.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #22,855 of 27,137
  Cork?
Look it up?
Has amazing properties. I believe they even used it on the Space shuttle!
It's a great sound dampener too.
I use corks under hi-fi equipment. MUCH cheaper than the commercial 'isolation' products, and you get to drink the wine as well!
Can even be split as cable anti-vibration ...if you believe such stuff.

It is a natural product, harvested from Cork oaks every 9 years. Grown in an area where not much else would (unless seriously irrigated which isn't good in water-depleted Spain) and the Serrano pigs root about for the acorns beneath the trees in Autumn, plus the forests support lots of wild life.

Any pics of (wine) cork stoppers used for damping? This is getting interesting!

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #22,856 of 27,137
I seem to recall a while ago someone using corkboard sheets. Don't remember what become of that though.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #22,857 of 27,137
Does anyone tried other than XB700 pads on T30? Shure HPAEC 550 bit bigger then original but does fit okay.

They bit softer, and I can listen T30 for hour or two with this pads.

Is there any other on-ear pads suggestions? Bought broken pair of XB600, waiting them for arrive. I like fit of new XB's with this memory foam, but don't know how they fit Fostex yet.

Also, just curious, what color of bass lens in yours Т30?

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #22,859 of 27,137
I seem to recall someone also tried a cotton + cork pieces thing (think fruit in jello kinda thing).

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #22,860 of 27,137
I think that was kalbee wasn't it? Or someone used wood chips/shavings also, but forget who.

Also those Shure 550 pads are pretty nice I have them on a few things, but not a T30. And definitely not TWO OF THEM!
blink.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back